will there...

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

dontshootcritters

will there...

Post by dontshootcritters »

Will there ever be a topic that Conradin doesn't comment on...
rayjay

Post by rayjay »

It's just conversation. What's the big deal ?

Post by Guest »

rayjay wrote:It's just conversation. What's the big deal ?
Lots of garbage.

Post by Guest »

Kind of harsh is'nt it ?

Conversation is good, right ?

If you do not like what you read then read on.

Some days certain folks will have an answer to your question.
Some days they do not.

So what.

Read and learn.

Guest also...
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

Anonymous wrote:Lots of garbage.
You anonymous guest must really be the hidden world champion...

I was curious and had a look over conradins last postings - for example those about the choice of air pistols. Since I consider myself "not unexperienced" in that special field, I must admit that his comments were highly informative, close to the facts and without bubbling around. So, any detailed quotes of that what you regard as "garbage" (also from dontshootcritters as thread starter)?

And I don't check your both postings for better content now - at least it's sunday, isn't it? And I assume if someone's comments would really annoy me this board will surely have an ignore-function (haven't checked).

Thanks by the way for that hint to conradin, I will from now on look for his postings - I'm still learning and curious, and every experienced shooter can teach me (and that's what I would call him, at least from my unintentional quick-check).
Rover

Post by Rover »

Ulrich, the famed American writer/philosopher Samuel Clemens once stated, "Never trust a man who doesn't drink."

Prosit!
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Yeah well, Twain was big on the quotable quips wasn't he. I'm a little bit inclined to agree... but having grown up around drunks I'd say there is room for abstention on some grounds. Not religious though. That's just messed up. And what about qnever drinking with a man you don't trust?
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.”
Ernest Hemingway
Chris

Post by Chris »

if you are like me I tend to not look at whom ever is posting and just read the posts.

if you read it and it sounds like they do not know what they are talking then move to the next post.

It is really not that hard IMHO
conradin

Post by conradin »

I decide to comment :)

The reason why I wrote so much is that, believe it or not, I am NEW to shooting, PERIOD, of any kind. 1/3 of them are jokes, 1/3 is genuine information that can help others, 1/3 is that I genuinely need information. Without TT I would never be able to progress the way I am now. I am in my early 40s, scared of firearms, and did not touch one until exactly one year ago, only because my car got shot at, and I was fed up with the bad neighborhood I was in (my apartment manager narrowly escaped death and ended up in the hospital for 2 months), and the cross street pastry shop's clerk got shot at while working the cash registrar.

To this day I still have fear of semi-automatic pistol and rifle, I refuse to learn semi-automatic, and I just barely started rifle, and I will ditch my rifle as soon as I know how to operate it and shoot "OK". I don't even put my air rifle in my own storage area, but to my misses.

I am staunchly pro-2A, but that does not mean I am neither scared nor being a gun nut.

If my comment sounds neither a joke, nor informative, consider my ignorance, which will be helpful to ME when it got corrected.

If you do not like my comments at all, just move on.

I don't have a coach, I don't have a true home range, I don't have ANYONE who really can teach me or willing to teach me. I have the misfortune of learning from someone who with I had miscommunication so bad that I was essentially shooting BLIND for more than half a year. Most of you have the luxury of either having use firearms for decades, was trained sometime down the line, or even if you have NEVER touched a firearm, you have been engaged in a sport that is similar so you naturally scored 510 the fist time out.

As I get more experience, I presume my posting will slowly go down, as I gather enough information.

BTW, it was I who worked with Debbie to establish the lady of ten forum, and it was me who worked and helped Debbie to open up the signature options. Chances are it will be me again, later, to help with the engineering side of the forum.

Thanks for reading all the way down to here.

My two 4.48mm 0,53g pellets
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:Ulrich, the famed American writer/philosopher Samuel Clemens once stated, "Never trust a man who doesn't drink."

Prosit!
I drink, in fact I drink *very* good and *very* selective and high quality ONLY, in good amount. My favorite is Hemingway's "Death in the Afternoon", ie, "Swiss moonshine Absinthe (the best) with champagne (I prefer Martini and Rossi)...also things like home brew Mead. My household is dry, I am not allowed to put ANY alcohol in the household because for the sake of a love one. I don't even drink when that love one is around. It has nothing to do with me having any alcoholic problems. As to the reason why the household is dry, I rather not say why. Officially I only drink the Eucharistic wine, and you bet that I am usually the LAST person to receive it so that I finish it all, unless I am on organist duty, in which I am the second one to receive after the Archbishop.

BTW you have no idea how much I learned from you, Rover :)
conradin

Post by conradin »

CR10X wrote:“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.”
Ernest Hemingway
Hemingway's three sports a man must do:
"'Bullfighting, motor racing, mountain climbing. All the rest are recreations"
I have done two out of three already...
pilkguns
Site Admin

conversations

Post by pilkguns »

We at Pilkguns are very happy to have this forum open for everyone here. Please remember it's for talking about the sport. Thank you!!!
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

CR10X wrote:
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.”
Ernest Hemingway

I can say I have completed all three, however the first (bullfighting) was an unfortunate combination of drinking and and mistaking one paddock gate for another one. The results were somewhat chaotic and probably would not be classified as classical bullfighting as much as a butt stomping by several hundred pounds of uncut t-bone steaks.....

Cecil
conradin

Post by conradin »

CR10X wrote:CR10X wrote:
Ernest Hemingway

I can say I have completed all three, however the first (bullfighting) was an unfortunate combination of drinking and and mistaking one paddock gate for another one. The results were somewhat chaotic and probably would not be classified as classical bullfighting as much as a butt stomping by several hundred pounds of uncut t-bone steaks.....

Cecil
OK, then I have done all three also.
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

If everyone waited until they were an absolute expert to post, this would be a quite small forum......

On guns: Why the fear of semiautomatics? A gun is simply a tool. You are far more likely to sustain serious injury driving your car or negotiating your stairs than with your semiautomatic pistol or rifle....

On alcohol: (I'll stir up a hornet's nest here! ;) ) Considering all the broken families, disease, car accidents, ruined careers (need I go on?) Directly attributable to alcohol, why would anyone drink the stuff???
conradin

Post by conradin »

rmarsh wrote:Why the fear of semiautomatics? A gun is simply a tool. You are far more likely to sustain serious injury driving your car or negotiating your stairs than with your semiautomatic pistol or rifle....

On alcohol: (I'll stir up a hornet's nest here! ;) ) Considering all the broken families, disease, car accidents, ruined careers (need I go on?) Directly attributable to alcohol, why would anyone drink the stuff???
For guns, just for my personal experience, as usually semi-automatic is inevitably associate with crimes, especially Glock and H&K. If a semi-automatic is distinctively Olympic style (magazine in the front, 5 shots, .22lr), I actually can psychologically deal with it better, because clearly it does not look like the one used by my cross street drug dealing neighbors (both apartments). Bad neighborhood, you know. On the other hand, I almost always run into bad luck while shooting a semi-automatic pistol. This include ruining others pistols. Finally buying crappy brand new semi-automatic that fails (manufacturer ISSC actually said "we do not warranty it!"). I also do not like the idea of relying on a safety feature. It gives a false sense of security. Strangely as an FP shooter, I find it strange to have an arm with a safety. That kind of defeat the purpose of emergency self-defense. I am scared of my misses' IZH-35 and especially the Ruger, she is scared of all my 3g trigger weight free pistols and my revolvers (too powerful), I guess that exchange of fear is fair. I don't think I own a single shot pistol that has a trigger weight of more than 500g, air or free. The FWB65 is an exception for the sake of strength training.

I figure the revolver is much more simple in mechanics and harder to fail, the heavy trigger means misfire is unlikely. So I prefer my big S&W .44 (6½" Barrel) for defense ("Do you feel lucky, punk?") with three speed loaders. It may not have ten cartridges, but I can guarantee you that it is pretty intimidating. If they are still coming after you after 24 shots, I think it is time to bail. Actually my philosophy for home invasion is to GTFO ASAP, don't both to confront them. I live in Oakland, and given recent events for the past few days, you will understand I live in a real unpleasant neighborhood.

One of our club's range masters actually carries semi-automatic while on duty, but personally CCW a revolver. He said that if after 6 shots it is still not enough, then it is time to GTFO. Notice that as a Luger collector, he prefers to have a revolver for CCW. His revolver is a whole lot smaller than mine, but certainly has a big enough punch to neutralize multiple attackers.

I have never fired a semi-automatic rifle, so I have no comments either. I am intimidated by them but I can assure you that should the need arise I will learn it REAL QUICK and have no problem using it during a civil unrest. (which happens in Oakland once every two months or so). This is why I "force" myself learning AR right now. Actually I would much prefer to have a class 3 weapon. I don't see the point of having a semi-automatic rifle to defend your apartment complex if a class 3 can do a better job, as the danger is real to us here. Another quirky logic of mine.

I have no comment on alcohol.
FredB

restraint

Post by FredB »

rmarsh wrote:If everyone waited until they were an absolute expert to post, this would be a quite small forum......
Of course the participants on any forum are constantly changing, and a good forum will welcome beginners. However, for the forum to have any value for the majority - and especially for beginners - those who are beginners need to show some respect for the knowledge of the more experienced members. IOW, people who are beginners should not be giving advice (unless it's on a topic they truly know well). Otherwise you have the blind leading the blind - which makes for bad information and a useless forum. Ask and learn, don't learn a little and talk a lot. Quality in posts definitely beats quantity.

Anyway, FWIW, that would be my preference.
FredB
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Well said FredB, I totally agree.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

While this is the wrong forum for defense guns...

Glock & H&K are very reliable and safe guns. As much as you assume they are associated with crime, they are associated with law enforcement for good reason, they are quality products. I carry a 1911 and a safety is not something that is a impediment to speed once you are used to it. If you ever need to use your .44 indoors expect your hearing to be degraded significantly & permanently unless you are loading with specials. My hearing has not recovered since 1977 from a Smith 29 from a few shots indoors without muffs.

A full auto rifle is rarely any better that a semi unless you expect to have a steady trail of people running through your door, and not the choice that most would recommend for apartment use. You might want to consider a shotgun with #4 buck, it is a formidable choice.

If you live in Oakland, maybe you should be seeking out some real professional defense training. I am sure it can be found easier that a good slow fire pistol coach.