Eley Edge Ammo

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Schiller

Eley Edge Ammo

Post by Schiller »

Has anyone tested the new Eley Edge in a semiautomatic pistol?
Schiller

Eley Edge Ammo

Post by Schiller »

HI. I bought some last Friday and tryed them out yesterday. They shoot very similar to the Eley Team but I am not sure that accuracy is the same as the Team. I can not say for sure, as I tryed them only with my pistol and free handed. In the Morini CM 84 they work very well as they have less friction and are ejected better than any other ammo.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

I ordered 3 bricks last week. I plan to test in my daughter's rifle and if it works well, I'll plan on her using it at Camp Perry.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

I should have a brick coming in on Friday as per UPS tracking.
Plan on trying it out in my Marvel during Sundays match.
Bought just a brick to test in the Marvel, Free pistol and my smallbore rifle.

Will let you know.

Clarence
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

My daughter tried the ammo out last night at practice (50 yards). Pretty big difference between that and the Wolf Match Target she's been using.

She had similar results when she shot the Eley Black box last week at a match.

I plan to order another 3 bricks to use at Camp Perry and let her use up this batch in the matches before.

So far I like the performance.
Hap Rocketto

Eley Edge

Post by Hap Rocketto »

I just completed a test; 16 five shot groups at 50 yards and the same number of ten shot groups at 100 yards. Rifle was an Anschutz with factory barrel and Leupold Vari X III scope with the groups shot off of the shoulder.

The ammunition will consistently hold the ten ring at both distances, average group at 50 yards edge to edge was 0.51(H) X 0.53(V) and at 100 yards 1.56(H) X 1.44(V) inches. It does not group densely enough to get high X counts.

Like all smallbore ammunition, you get what you pay for. This ammunition is half of the cost of Tenex and few dollars less a box than Match. It is, in my opinion, a good value.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Quick update.
LOT# 3013-30095 at 1046 fps
Shot the Edge in my Hammerli FP60 in free pistol this morning.

12 sighters and started into my 60 shots for score.
The longer I shot the worse it got, nothing shot on call, a shotgun pattern mostly vertical above and below the 10 ring.

I know everyone is saying, well yah, it is free pistol :)
Well I am not the best free pistol shot, but I have been averaging right at 500.
On a bad day I shoot in the 480's.

Today's score was a 437.

Shot 10m air pistol directly afterwards and scored a normal for me 545.

Maybe I just had a bad day...

Shooting tomarrow morning using my Marvel for Bullseye.
Will keep you posted.

Oh,by the way, when Rover beats me in Free pistol I know something is wrong(beat you to it Rover :)

Clarence
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Todays outdoor bullseye test with my Marvel.

Edge long line first 10 shot string was an (88-0x) with four uncalled 8's and one 7.

Shot my usual Center X for the next two strings.
A (94-2x) with a called 7
A (97-3x)

Went back to the Edge for the remainder of the match obviously at the short line.

Typical ish scores of (96-2x, 96-1x, 97-3x, 94-3x, 96-1x, 95-4x) low X count.

So for me it will not be used in my free pistol or Marvel.
Now to test it in my smallbore rifle which may be a while when I get around to it.

Your mileage may vary.
Clarence
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

My daughter (14 years old) shot the NH State/Regional Smallbore Metric Prone match on Saturday. She shot a personal best and shot only 3 8's all day.

She placed 4th overall missing the bronze medal by only 2 points. She won top Sharpshooter, top SJ and State Resident Junior Champion awards.

I will need to test this ammo in a proper testing bench rest with various lots and ammo's before making a final decision on which ammo to stick with.

All I can say is this ammo is a significant improvement over Wolf match Target.
GOVTMODEL

Batch Testing Ammunition

Post by GOVTMODEL »

I had the opportunity to batch test TENEX in three (3) Hammerli pistols at the Customer Range a few years ago.

My conclusion was that every batch of ammunition is unique, every barrel is unique, and the results of testing any batch of ammunition in any barrel have nothing to do with how that batch will perform in another barrel, or how another batch will perform in the your barrel.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

To AMEN, you say it the right way brother-------Keep 'em in the 10 ring----"Doc"
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Finally got to test the Edge out today in a smallbore league match here in sunny Arizona :)

I am shooting an old BSA International Mark II made in 1954.
Using the factory iron/globe sites with sling and coat, prone.
Edge LOT# 3013-30095 at 1046 fps.

It did very well at the 50yd target (196-7x)
Pretty good at the 3x100yd targets (191-6, 192-6, 192-4)
At 50M it does not group tight enough but not horrible (179-1, 178-2)

Remind you that I have shot very little smallbore to date.
As far as I can tell, go for it in older smallbore rifles.
I may get some more to conserve my Center X.

YMMV;
Clarence
D.R. badge #99
conradin

Post by conradin »

can anyone confirm that "Team" is on the way out?
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

I only worry about what is available that will work in my lead spitting device.
Does not matter really if Team goes away, it is what shoots in your lead spitting device.
If you know a LOT# of Team your device likes then go and get it now.
If you are too late then you start all over again.

Great hobby is it not...

Clarence

P.S.
Conradin
Yes, Team is going away.
Go to Killough's and give him a call.
D.R. badge #99
conradin

Post by conradin »

We use team because it is the cheapest. If it is gone, we may have to make a decision of whether to go for the "Edge", or take a little bit of hit and purchase "Match". Match and Tenex always are good on our arms, but we do not about Edge.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Conradin;

I must ask you a question, but I think I know the answer.
Is the ammo you seek used only for pistols, or do you shoot rifle also ?
If it is only pistols, then I have recommendations.

For free pistol I have settled and bought enough for a couple years of Eley match pistol at around the 1000 fps range.
Not a bad price for good ammo for it's intended purpose.

For bullseye .22 matches, it is center X for the long line and the above or anything else that shoots fine at 25yds.(CCI standard velocity, Eley Edge etc...)

Eley Target is also good for the above mentioned disciplines and cheap if you can find it, which I did.

If smallbore is your thing, then good luck.
I have 2 years supply of center x to feed it.

Bottom line is that it takes money, testing and being at the right place at the right time to score the ammunition that your lead spitting devices enjoy.

Good luck;
Clarence
D.R. badge #99
conradin

Post by conradin »

C. Perkins wrote:Conradin;

Is the ammo you seek used only for pistols, or do you shoot rifle also ?
If it is only pistols, then I have recommendations.

For free pistol I have settled and bought enough for a couple years of Eley match pistol at around the 1000 fps range.
Not a bad price for good ammo for it's intended purpose.
Clarence: nobody in our household shoot .22lr rifle. We all shoot free pistol, just a matter of 22lr, 22l or 22s. We have plenty of New Old Stock Eley OSP 22s., and usually have some CCI, both s and l.
Tenex and Match is always good for ALL of our free pistols. Match is cheaper hence we only use it for practice.
The reason why we have Team is that we do have ONE IZH-35. But that is purely for teaching newcomers' purposes (Oakland Pink Pistols is the ONLY SF Bay Area chapter that teaches). She absolutely refused to feed it with 2nd rate ammo, not even CCI. She actually does not even want Team, calling it "crap", but I have to let her know about the economics. The reason is because other than teaching, that IZH-35 is most likely sit inside a safe. She is a rifle shooter, so the only time she uses a pistol will be a free pistol, for fun.
I would presume we will use Tenex Pistol or Match Pistol/OSP if she start to use the IZH-35 for competition, but it seems like she is not interested at all. She does LOVE her IZH-35, to the point that I am not allowed to touch it. Hence we use Team. If Team is no longer available, we will use the next cheapest, which should be Edge.
IF we do not use Edge, and just go for Match Pistol or OSP, we need to know and calculate the cost effectiveness. If we seldom have students, than may as well go for Match Pistol or OSP; if we have lots, which means the other two Bay Area chapters send their newbies to us, we will have to make a decision of whether to go for Edge or Match Pistol or OSP.
Not that Edge was designed for pistol, but this is a cost decision. A student can potentially use up an entire box in one session. That would be a waste of money if we have four students and using Match Pistols.

Tenex is never in the equation, since it is only reserved for competition or simulated (timed or UN-timed) competition in a training session.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

I posted an ammo test in the smallbore forum under "new ammo from eley" if anyone is interested.

I posted there cause this thread was started with Edge used in a pistol.

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
Hap Rocketto

Eley Edge

Post by Hap Rocketto »