More Pistol Choice Advice Needed

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Brian Lafferty

More Pistol Choice Advice Needed

Post by Brian Lafferty »

OK. Time has come to make one final (really) pistol purchase. Here are the three that I am seriously considering.
Benelli Kite
Styer LP2
Morini 162 EI

The Benelli is the best priced of the three at about $1,375, I'm leaning toward the Morini as it has an electronic trigger but the Benelli is a really good pistol at that price. Both the Benelli and Morini come with two air cylinders, and are still a bit less than a Styer if you purchase a second cylinder.
Last edited by Brian Lafferty on Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Buy your choice used and get exactly which you prefer.

Once you've made the decision, then you know which to buy new, if you choose.

It's like flipping a coin to make your decision: if you're disappointed with the result then you go with your gut.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

If you buy used, you may have to weigh the cost of another air cylinder anyway if you plan to compete with it. I would buy one of the two brands that everyone competes with to ensure higher resale and parts availability in years to come. That is why I just bought an LP10 with a mechanical trigger.
conradin

Post by conradin »

It depends on whether you plan to upgrade later or not. If you have Kite and LP2 you almost certainly need to upgrade if you plan to compete in AP60. If you just want to have fun shooting and not competing, such as shooting mechanical duck or spoons target boxes, take the kite, or whatever is the cheapest.

If you think that this is a buy that is terminal, and you don't plan to upgrade, and that you are thinking of potential competition, take the Moroni. Don't worry about the electronic and the mechanical trigger system difference, It won't make that much of a difference, otherwise everyone would have dump their LP10, K12, or whatever to buy the Morini. You can probably be competitive on that Morini for another 12 years at the least.
Last edited by conradin on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

brent375hh wrote:If you buy used, you may have to weigh the cost of another air cylinder anyway if you plan to compete with it. I would buy one of the two brands that everyone competes with to ensure higher resale and parts availability in years to come. That is why I just bought an LP10 with a mechanical trigger.
I never buy something like this used.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Brian Lafferty wrote: I never buy something like this used.
All my air pistols are used. Although my primary (LP10) can be considered as a "works" pistol, since it was Buck's sister (or if you think about it, Buck's own) gun; so it is actually better than new. The LP1CP was converted into LP1 by Buck and has been totally renovated, so it is also as good as new. The only pistol that is genuinely used and has no "works" background is my FWB65. But then again we are talking about FWB65. I did purchase a bunch of parts from FWB itself. The pistol itself is close to mint, so it was a good buy.

I do encourage people who bought used pistol of the highest caliber to examine, or ask someone else who is experience to examine it. Also ask if the seller is willing to cover the cost of repair (not maintenance) as you will send it to Buck (Steyr/Morini), Vladimir (Pardini), Larry (Haemmerli), Neal (unofficial Matchguns). You pretty much are stuck with these five as top air pistols. FWB has never been competitive since breathing normal air and I will consider it on par with Benelli Kite.
Last edited by conradin on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

conradin wrote:It depends on whether you plan to upgrade later or not. If you have Kite and LP2 you almost certainly need to upgrade if you plan to compete in AP60. If you just want to have fun shooting and not competing, such as shooting mechanical duck or spoons target boxes, take the kite, or whatever is the cheapest.

If you think that this is a buy that is terminal, and you don't plan to upgrade, and that you are thinking of potential competition, take the Moroni. Don't worry about the electronic and the mechanical trigger system difference, It won't make that much of a difference, otherwise everyone would have dump their LP10, K12, or whatever to buy the Morini. You can probably be competitive on that Morini for another 12 years at the least.
I'm smiling at the thought of my ever outgrowing an LP2 or Benelli with my ability. I will likely get the Morini if I can't get the Benelli in a reasonable length of time. BTW, my brother has a Benelli semi-auto shotgun that is quite nice.
conradin

Post by conradin »

LP2 is essentially a continue version of LP1. As for Benelli Kite, if the Italian World Cup/Olympics contingent dump their Benelli and only use them for their national or regional championship, you know something is lacking there. The pistol has not won anything important (ie, world class event that world record an be set) since 2006. 7 or 8 years is a long time, especially their main (works?) shooters are/were Tanyu Kiryakov and Francesco Bruno.
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

conradin wrote:LP2 is essentially a continue version of LP1. As for Benelli Kite, if the Italian World Cup/Olympics contingent dump their Benelli and only use them for their national or regional championship, you know something is lacking there. The pistol has not won anything important (ie, world class event that world record an be set) since 2006. 7 or 8 years is a long time, especially their main (works?) shooters are/were Tanyu Kiryakov and Francesco Bruno.
Maybe I'll go back to my Izzy.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Brian Lafferty wrote:
conradin wrote:LP2 is essentially a continue version of LP1. As for Benelli Kite, if the Italian World Cup/Olympics contingent dump their Benelli and only use them for their national or regional championship, you know something is lacking there. The pistol has not won anything important (ie, world class event that world record an be set) since 2006. 7 or 8 years is a long time, especially their main (works?) shooters are/were Tanyu Kiryakov and Francesco Bruno.
Maybe I'll go back to my Izzy.
Some days I shoot my Izzy better than my Steyr, but I like the trigger feel better on the LP10.
conradin

Post by conradin »

I like my FWB65, but I can never get good scores out of them. Maybe Rover will hold a USA tour clinic soon for people like me.
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

Nobody has had anything good or bad to say about the FWB P-44. ??
william

Post by william »

If you have Kite and LP2 you almost certainly need to upgrade if you plan to compete in AP60.
Absolute nonsense unless one is already competing at WC level. If the Kite were that horrible, would the Italians shoot them at national championships?

As for P44, I saw one in use at the last CAGP. It delivered creditable scores in the hands of a high level shooter. Champions Choice lists it in their catalogue, and they are a more than reputable dealer.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It's the only one that can be fitted to really small hands. Very nice pistol. If you like it, buy it.

Conradin sez, "If you have Kite and LP2 you almost certainly need to upgrade if you plan to compete in AP60." (snicker!)

"I like my FWB65, but I can never get good scores out of them. Maybe Rover will hold a USA tour clinic soon for people like me."

Why not?; I shot a 576 with one when I was feeling frisky.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote: I shot a 576 with one when I was feeling frisky.
Recoil-lock, Center-fire trigger weight, 75g barrel weight. original non-adjustable rear sight. 3.0 tall front sight. 60 shots, 75 minutes. Help?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Bone stock pistol, adjustable grip, adjustable notch. I may have played with the trigger.

I shot many, many scores in the high '60s to mid-70s with it. I was shooting Hobby pellets.
rmca

Post by rmca »

conradin wrote:
Rover wrote: I shot a 576 with one when I was feeling frisky.
Recoil-lock, Center-fire trigger weight, 75g barrel weight. original non-adjustable rear sight. 3.0 tall front sight. 60 shots, 75 minutes. Help?
Forget the equipment and focus on EVERY shot you take. It's that simple... or not!!!

Brian Lafferty

If you don't want to go through the used pistol route (witch would be my first advise), and are planning on keeping it for a long time, I would suggest the LP10 or the 162ei.
This are two of the best pistols out there and you will NEVER outgrowth them!
But one of the major parts in that choice is your personal preference:
- witch one fits you better,
- witch gives you the best feed back,
- witch one lets you shoot with more confidence.

As a machine, all that you mentioned plus the LP10, will give you consistent inner ten performance, but they don't shoot by them selves!

If you can, try shooting as many models as you can, just by asking your fellow shooters. This will give you much more information than anyone here can.

Hope this helps.
Leon

Re: More Pistol Choice Advice Needed

Post by Leon »

Brian Lafferty wrote:OK. Time has come to make one final (really) pistol purchase. Here are the three that I am seriously considering.
Benelli Kite
Styer LP2
Morini 162 EI

The Benelli is the best priced of the three at about $1,375, I'm leaning toward the Morini as it has an electronic trigger but the Benelli is a really good pistol at that price. Both the Benelli and Morini come with two air cylinders, and are still a bit less than a Styer if you purchase a second cylinder.
Also consider the Pardini K12. I've just gone from a 162EI to a K12. They have very, very nice triggers.
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

Thank you all for your facts and opinions. I'll likely get the Kite or the Morini. Frankly, I find the full barrel shroud of the LP-10 aesthetically unappealing. As I never expect to shoot at world class level, I can allow aesthetics to rule out the LP-10. If I ever find myself shooting at that level, perhaps someone will gift me one of a subsequent better version--an LP-15.258 maybe. :)

Good shooting.
Brian
conradin

Post by conradin »

Brian,

Take a look at Matchguns too.