Spam

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

Spam

Post by conradin »

There has been a ridiculous amount of SPAM lately, with spammers registration and then spams various forums.

The spam is getting out of hand. Something has to be done, such as adding more sophisticated captcha, such as those that require someone to give an answer to a simple math question (what is one plus three?). Otherwise the forum can collapse. I used to have a forum, and same thing happen. Not enough captcha, the forum collapsed.

Right now the biggest problem is that there is no email confirmation. Without that anyone can register and be a member right away, and start spamming. An email should be sent to the registrant's email address and require the registrant to put in a code to confirm.

Sooner or later the spammers will outnumber the effort of the admins to delete the posts.

If you are reading this, Scott, please do something about this, or let Debbie knows. Otherwise I'll give Debbie a call.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I don't know whether non-moderators can see the "SPAM" folder but I've started moving spam threads there, just so that we have a record of offending names.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

They sure are wasting their time here. It is not like this site is burning up with relevent content let alone someone wanting a new purse.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think Conradin wants a new purse.
conradin

Post by conradin »

I just registered my cat with no problems whatsoever, you don't even need a real email address. Once you pass the first captcha, you are through!
A Captcha that asks for answer of a simple question is more secure "three plus seven equals?"
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

brent375hh wrote:They sure are wasting their time here. It is not like this site is burning up with relevent content let alone someone wanting a new purse.
Hoping to sell their tat to forum members is just a part of it.

They are really trying to create loads of back links to their own web sites to increase their search engine rankings.

It's a well known strategy of some of the less-reputable SEO (search engine optimization) companies.
conradin

Post by conradin »

By posting Japanese gibberish?
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:I think Conradin wants a new purse.
I do, so that I can give it to my misses to make her happy and be less nagging. Prefer one designed with CCW in mind. Email me and I will give you my address and she will appreciate your contribution. You may even get a kiss out of her when you visit NorCal. Sorry no beer, the only alcohol we drink is the Eucharistic wine on Sunday.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:By posting Japanese gibberish?
They still contain links which are picked up and understood by the search engines. If you hover over the links you will see the URL.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Bast**ds.