Outdoor Sight Adjustment Knobs

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Outdoor Sight Adjustment Knobs

Post by brent375hh »

I see many guns do not have knobs that adjust with fingers like Morini CM84E. Since I do adjust my sights especially with changing light with 50M pistol, I wonder why some makers make you use a screwdriver instead of knobs that work with fingers.

My question: Am I in the minority by adjusting my sights for conditions, do some people just alter their hold?
conradin

Post by conradin »

That's what sighting period is for, because of environment. Here sometimes people use 50 yard instead of 50M for free pistol. A small screwdriver or similar small tool will do the job. Most adjustment I do is the H/T because different ranges hang the target differently. Seldom do I do L/R unless a place is set up which you cannot stand directly in line with the target, and the obstacle is too large to easily overcome by footwork.

My organization home range is 50 yards, but I made my own target so the height is ISSF correct. My favorite range is also 50 yards, and I need to use another target that I made to fit the correct height. However, the place which I compete has a totally different height in which I of course have no right to ask the official to adjust to ISSF height.

Even though the first two I made targets to fit the ISSF height, it is still not 100% perfect so I still need to adjust H/T. As for L/R I adjust no more than a clip for those two ranges because my organization range's target clip is not 100% aligned with the firing box. For the latter I am pretty much the ONLY person who shoot free pistol, so every time I go they automatically given me lane 1, so I am so used to it that it is not much of a problem with changing one click. The other reason why I click instead of moving footwork, also because they have no benches,m but rather all of them are stalls.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Imagine trying to market a sight to rifle shooters that required a screw driver to make sight corrections. To me they should be knobs that can be turned with fingers or at worse slotted for coin use.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Bullet button :)
mctrucky

Re: Outdoor Sight Adjustment Knobs

Post by mctrucky »

brent375hh wrote: My question: Am I in the minority by adjusting my sights for conditions, do some people just alter their hold?
No, you need to adjust for changing light. You are not alone....
RobStubbs

Re: Outdoor Sight Adjustment Knobs

Post by RobStubbs »

[quote="brent375hh"]I see many guns do not have knobs that adjust with fingers like Morini CM84E. Since I do adjust my sights especially with changing light with 50M pistol, I wonder why some makers make you use a screwdriver instead of knobs that work with fingers.

My question: Am I in the minority by adjusting my sights for conditions, do some people just alter their hold?[/quote]

It too makes me wonder why they do that - some do it for airguns as well. It seems a nonsensical idea to me.

But no (almost) everyone adjusts their sights, the very last thing you want to do is to alter your aiming point.

Rob.