WC Grenada

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

bpscCheney

WC Grenada

Post by bpscCheney »

I was looking through the competitors list for 50m prone and noticed that Uptagrafft and McPhail were on the MQS list. I thought that the MQS list was for new shooters to gain experience, why would two of the best prone shooters out there be on that list then? Or does the MQS list mean something else?
RossM

Post by RossM »

If an athlete already has won a quota place then they cannot compete in another event for a quota place. One athlete, one quota place. If an athlete has an MQS already in one event and it happens to be the event they won the quota place in, then it is pointless to put them into the event as either the quota shooting athlete or an MQS athlete - unless they won a quota place but did not shoot an MQS , which is extremely unlikely! Give another athlete a go at getting another quota place for that event. Each country ca have a max of two shooters in an Olympic event.

Now it gets tricky. An athlete who is picked to shoot in one event at the Olympics can compete in other events as long as they have an MQS against their name in that event. So a country could have won only one quota, say in prone, then that athlete which the country picks - who, BTW does not have to be the quota winner - could compete in other events (3P and Air Rifle) as long as they have achieved an MQS in those events. Some countries think this is a good idea and let mediocre athletes compete in their secondary events for the experience.

I have had a look through the ISSF pages and can't find the list of events where quotas are up for grabs for Rio. Anyone help?
conradin

Post by conradin »

You can also PM Eric U. here and ask him why.
conradin

Post by conradin »

PS. When I mean why I mean why he is the one doing it.

Essentially the US sent more than 3 athletes, so in order for the up-and-comers to compete, they got the real quoter slots. The rest of them are merely doing MQS. What that means is that if any of the 3 nominated athlete has to withdraw, the MQS athlete can sub. But the other way around is not possible. Essentially the two of them are in MQS merely to collect quotas and as stand-by.

Things can happen. An athlete can get sick at the day of competition. He could have a very bad day during training and was withdrawn by the coach. He could have withdraw on its own due to other circumstances. Who knows. Meanwhile if that happens, then the MQS (the veterans) can step in and take that slot right away.

Notice that it makes no sense the other way, since if an MQS person withdraw, a nominated athlete certainly will not participate in an MQS, since he has already passed.

In another words, the two of them were merely there as backups, and use that as a simulated match. They have nothing to gain, but can tag along also to help out the youngsters.

Well, you have to ask Eric U. to see if this is the case...that's my best guess. The Chinese always has crap load of world class athletes doing MQS when obviously they do not need to, essentially the nominated athletes are the youngsters, while the MQS are veterans who were merely warming benches, especially if the veteran already has qualified for the WCF.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RossM wrote:I have had a look through the ISSF pages and can't find the list of events where quotas are up for grabs for Rio. Anyone help?
The list hasn't been published yet.

If it follows true to form then the first quotas will be at the World Championships in September 2014 (2 years before the Olympic opening ceremony under IOC rules). Thereafter I would expect Continental Championships (including in 2016) and World Cups (probably only in 2015 but possibly some in 2016 because the Olympics are later in the year than normal).
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

McPhail and myself are shooting MQS simply because we were not in the top three at the selection match. There are no MQS's or quotas awarded at this or any match this year. They haven't even established what the MQS scores will be yet.

The World Championships will be here next year and we are here to scope out the range and get comfortable with it.

Eric U
conradin

Post by conradin »

Eric U wrote: The World Championships will be here next year and we are here to scope out the range and get comfortable with it.
That makes total sense. But I wonder if the MQS being the backup is true or not, since the rules dictate that MQS can replace a withdrawn entry.

If this is about a simulated match to test the range, can USAS send out not just the entire team, but even have the top 10 nationally ranked people to do MQS, or is there a limit?

Do you pay for the trip, or USAS took care of it?

Also, is it possible that one has never make the team, not being invited, never got involved wiht USAS, etc., and just show up by oneself to do an MQS?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:[Also, is it possible that one has never make the team, not being invited, never got involved wiht USAS, etc., and just show up by oneself to do an MQS?
Maximum of 3 entries in the World Cup event plus 2 in the MQS per ISSF Member Federation.

Entries only accepted from ISSF Member Federations.