Buying SH overseas

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

rickard9

Buying SH overseas

Post by rickard9 »

Hello and this is my first post here. I have gotten back into ISSF shooting after 40 years absence and find it a very different world. A world of daunting rules and regulations (mostly I suspect since 9/11); and a world of contacts and shared info thanks to the internet (mainly over the teacup chat,snailmail and talking to sportsshops back in '72). Also a world of fantastic development in guns and this is where I need some advice.
My love is FP and I already have a Toz 35 under another licence for when my pistol licence arrives (any day now).But am looking for a practice air pistol. A FWB 65 with movable palm rest and sights would be adequate for practice until I settle on a Pardini or somesuch but they are as scarce as rocking horse stuff here in NZ. Reading websites such as this indicates they are almost collectables around the world BUT THE ANNOYING THING IS THAT THERE ARE SO MANY GUNS (AIR)ADVERTISED ON FORUMS SUCH AS THIS BUT NOONE HERE CAN TELL ME THE RESTRICTIONS ON FREEING THEM FROM THEIR COUNTRY OF SALE.
I have looked at Australian sites. And drooled, But that country is virtually locked up gun trade wise. And ebay;and this sight and again drooled at the choice. Can anyone tell me the restrictions of each country and the best country perhaps, to buy from (still speaking air pistol but not necessarily only FWB 65s). Many people on sites here buy parts such as trigger sets, scopes etc by mail from the US rather than bother with NZ agents but our gun laws are so permissive that few bother with air guns let alone target competition quality.
From this end, no restrictions exist for the importation of air pistols at all, not even police clearance, or customs or sales tax but I really feel the isolation here in New Zealand from the trading mores of the world are probably more in my head than reality. But this Kiwi would like some guidance before I trust my dollar to the big wide world.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Egun, but buyer BEWARE.
rickard9

buying SH overseas

Post by rickard9 »

Tks Conradin, but what of? Worn out seals and springs and selective camera angles or border control customs etc?
GOVTMODEL

Air Pistols in the US

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Airguns aren't firearms in the USA, and their sale is unregulated at the national level.

I've been a Pilkington customer since 1997 and have always been satisfied.
rickard9

Buying SH overseas

Post by rickard9 »

Tks for the tip Govtmodel
Rover

Post by Rover »

There's a K58 in the Classifieds if you want to jump on it.
conradin

Re: buying SH overseas

Post by conradin »

rickard9 wrote:Tks Conradin, but what of? Worn out seals and springs and selective camera angles or border control customs etc?
You are buying sight unseen from overseas (DE). So you have to take some risk for sending money. You also need to be careful about which carrier you choose for the seller to send to you, for example, DHL is a no no. Hence buyer beware. You can wire money to the seller and then nothing happened. There is little to no way to correct the problem.

At least in Gunbroker you can track down a guy.
rickard9

Buying SH overseas

Post by rickard9 »

Tks, Rover, worth investigating. Conradin, this is exactly the info I am seeking.
pauln

Post by pauln »

I think the biggest problem is finding someone to carry it.Seems most courier companies etc wont . Why not just buy an IZH46m of trade me , seems a lot easier. And perfect for FP training
conradin

Post by conradin »

Both USPS, UPS and DHL carry air pistols (DHL will not do international), just make sure you have no pressure inside. If you are buying a pneumatic, then this is not even a problem. I send my AP to Buck all the time, no problems, no special couriers needed.

Firearms is another matter, but that is outside of topic.
rickard9

buying SG overseas

Post by rickard9 »

Conradin, who or what is Buck? Is he the dude at Gunbroker???
rickard9

buying SH overseas

Post by rickard9 »

Hi Pauln,I looked at the IZH but I think cranking that thing 60-70 times in 90 minutes in a match could be tiring, yeah, but the main risk could be yanking the gun around so it is no longer pointing down range. In other words, there is a chance of being disqualified in a match. Same risk with any crank gun I suggest
rickard9

buying SH overseas

Post by rickard9 »

Hi Pauln,I looked at the IZH but I think cranking that thing 60-70 times in 90 minutes in a match could be tiring, yeah, but the main risk could be yanking the gun around so it is no longer pointing down range. In other words, there is a chance of being disqualified in a match. Same risk with any crank gun I suggest
j-team

Post by j-team »

rickard9 wrote:Hi Pauln,I looked at the IZH but I think cranking that thing 60-70 times in 90 minutes in a match could be tiring, yeah, but the main risk could be yanking the gun around so it is no longer pointing down range. In other words, there is a chance of being disqualified in a match. Same risk with any crank gun I suggest
In your original post you mentioned wanting an FWB65. The IZH46M is easier to load in my opinion.

Also, I sent you a PM regarding FWB65 currently for sale here in NZL but you have not replied.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

rickard9 wrote:....I looked at the IZH but I think cranking that thing 60-70 times in 90 minutes in a match could be tiring...
Not at all. Really, a person would have to be in very poor physical condition to be bothered by an Izzy. From my memories of FWB65 ownership, I think you might find that one to be more challenging. Few SSP's are as easy to charge as the 46. I frequently shoot the smaller FAS604, too, which doesn't have the leverage advantage of the IZH's long arm, and have no fatigue [or pulse rate] problems, and I'm an old fart.

The size and feel of the IZH makes it a very compatible airgun companion to a free pistol.
conradin

Re: buying SG overseas

Post by conradin »

rickard9 wrote:Conradin, who or what is Buck? Is he the dude at Gunbroker???
Scott's gunsmith, right here at pilkington. Go to the pilk site and read about his bio. HE is amazing.
rickard9

buying SH overseas

Post by rickard9 »

Hi J-team, I didn't get a message from you at all, but thanks for the opinion about the IZH. I think if I was to buy any crank gun this one is at least available in NZ and has agents here. Also it cranks from underneath unlike the FWB which I have now definitely gone beyond