22 ammo shortage....

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ojh

Post by ojh »

corning wrote:Is the .22 ammo shortage a USA phenomena, or is it happening to those overseas too?
No shortage in Finland this far. I've seen one dealer warning that US stuff may become short supply, but nothing has happened yet. No dramatic jumps in prices either.
johral

Post by johral »

Be thankful...price gouging is pretty much the order of the day over here. Target ammo from reputable source hasn't gone up dramatically, but it is almost impossible to find it in stock anywhere. When it is, it is gone in a matter of hours.
kilowhiskey

Post by kilowhiskey »

I'd like to publicly thank the two companies I deal with (Champion's Choice and Champion Shooters) for not engaging in price gouging during this current panic buy induced shortage. This ounce of loyalty on their part to the competitive shooting community has earned many pounds of respect, at least on my part. If your supplier is being loyal as well, give them a shout out.
I've received a couple cases recently from these folks, so the shortage may be easing a little.
SWpampa53

Post by SWpampa53 »

kilowhiskey wrote:I'd like to publicly thank the two companies I deal with (Champion's Choice and Champion Shooters) for not engaging in price gouging during this current panic buy induced shortage. This ounce of loyalty on their part to the competitive shooting community has earned many pounds of respect, at least on my part. If your supplier is being loyal as well, give them a shout out.
I've received a couple cases recently from these folks, so the shortage may be easing a little.
+1
Champions Choice is right down the road from me and let me know when my case arrived same price no increase.
Great folks
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Just discovered a seemingly significant and long term issue causing the ammo shortage that the government certainly knows about but I did not see anything about it until now. A lead smelter (makes metallic lead from lead ore) called Doe Run that produces about 50% of the lead in the US and about 6% of the lead produced worldwide will be closing for good in the next year due to its inability to meet EPA and OSHA standards for lead. This shutdown has been known about for about a couple years. With this happening the ammo shortage probably won't get better any time soon, if ever. Ammo will remain costly and hard to get unless someone develops a good lead substitute. Bottom line, looks like the anti-gunners are going to accomplish part of what they have been after - why go after the guns when you can go after the ammo a lot easier.
bruce em

Post by bruce em »

And dont forget what happens when we can no longer import anything due to the UN small arms agreement....

Question in my mind is will there be anything available at Camp Perry?

"Peak" we were roomies at the ESG Binghamton
Peakconti

Post by Peakconti »

Hi Bruce, yes I remember you. Hope things are well, hope to make it to next years Empire Games (2014) cross my fingers they are not cancelled again.

I just ordered a case of SKS Standard plus (540 with shipping) from a place called Bert's garage, located in PA, unfortunately I think he is out of stock of SKS right now, but he has plenty of various Eley brands at normal prices. He does not have an web site, and does not take credit cards, however is e-mail address is bert.pickard@comcast.net to get on his e-mail list.

Good news for me, my ATF form just came in so I can make a trip at anytime to pick up some CCI ammo for practice, at a cost of about $40 a brick, with tax. However I am going to hold off and see if any comes available in the US of A, as last year I was paying about $30 a brick.
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

kilowhiskey wrote:I'd like to publicly thank the two companies I deal with (Champion's Choice and Champion Shooters) for not engaging in price gouging during this current panic buy induced shortage. This ounce of loyalty on their part to the competitive shooting community has earned many pounds of respect, at least on my part. If your supplier is being loyal as well, give them a shout out.
Just a note on Champions Shooters. Their new catalog states they will charge 3% processing fee on all orders. This is the newly allowed 3% credit card fee companies are allowed to pass on to their customers. Why is this bad you ask? Everything you buy has the credit fee already built in. Any company charging the extra just raised all their prices 3%. In addition, most companies don't pay 3% to the cc companies. It's more like 1.5% but the law allows 3% so they're taking it. Someone with no store track record can setup cc processing on their web store usually for 1.5%.