Which polarizer for outdoor?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

nester

Which polarizer for outdoor?

Post by nester »

Which polarizer should I use for outdoor?

Should it be in the rear sight?
I use Centra rear sight with Centra Indoor 1.8 iris (5 filters).
Should I get Centra Competition iris instead (10 filters plus polarizer, price is ~160 euro), or it better to get Centra Pol-Lens polarizer (~50 euro) - which is twin polarizer, with 2 disks - is it better?

Eric U

Post by Eric U »

I've never found any use for a polarizer on my rifles. I've tried them a few times over the years but even the best of them block out too much light to be useful. Waste of money in my mind, and something that a proper set of filters can handle readily.

Eric U
nester

Post by nester »

Eric U wrote:I've never found any use for a polarizer on my rifles. I've tried them a few times over the years but even the best of them block out too much light to be useful. Waste of money in my mind, and something that a proper set of filters can handle readily.

Eric U
OK, thank you for idea!
Which filters are you using? I have 5 filters (light gray, yellow, C41 Peach, C41 blue and C41 UV), and truly speaking don't like any of those..
Also I've tried colored front inserts (yellow and red) but also they don't shoot any better.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Further to what Eric has said, I wouldn't be happy with a twin polarizer that COULDN"T be switched out completely should the light conditions change.

I occasionally use a single polarizer in the iris to take out any glare I'm getting from the foresight tunnel. Getting just the right angle will improve the contrast but only of the tunnel under certain conditions - not the ring or the target, just the tunnel. Whether this actually results in better scores is uncertain.

If you can't find something you like with the Centra Competition or Twin iris, then filters aren't for you....
Personally, I like brown if it's bright, green and, if it gets really gloomy, yellow.

Regards,
Ken.
KatoomDownUnder

Twin Polarizer

Post by KatoomDownUnder »

I'm currently using the Gehmann 550 Iris with twin polarizer and for the sun here it's great. The ability to vary the amount of polarization between nil through to fairly dark is great especially for those days with scattered cloud.
The best aspect is the ability to truly cut glare which coloured filters can make worse depending upon the colour used.
In the end it's a matter of personal preference as I don't see any wrong or right answer.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

The range I shoot at most frequently in competition faces nearly due west. Because of this, the glare on the targets can be quite substantial, especially during the early stages of a winter* match as the sun is coming up and shining straight on the targets. In those circumstances, no amount of color filters would cut it, but dropping in a polarizer was perfect. Plus, I can fine tune the amount and angle of light filtered to further optimize contrast, not something that can always be easily done with color filters. If you are going to get one, spring for the one that can be quickly and easily removed when lighting changes.

*I use the term "winter" loosely, as the only way we in Southern California know it's winter is that the sun comes up later and sets earlier. Yes, I might be rubbing that in with all my neighbors to the north, just a little.
nester

Post by nester »

mtncwru wrote: If you are going to get one, spring for the one that can be quickly and easily removed when lighting changes.
OK, got the idea..
Iris polarizer can be switched of completely with one click, correct? And tube-mounted obviously needs to be unscrewed..

Also, what is the difference between single and double polarizer? From what I know from photography - single polarizer would cut light except from one source - so basically would eliminate glare and reflections if the light source is sun.
But what the 2nd polarizer would do? If it is oriented same way - then it would not do anything (except act as additional gray filter), and if it is rotated 90 degrees - then it would cut all the light? So basically it is variable gray filter, right?
gstarik

Post by gstarik »

Agree with Eric!
Guy.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

nester wrote: But what the 2nd polarizer would do? If it is oriented same way - then it would not do anything (except act as additional gray filter), and if it is rotated 90 degrees - then it would cut all the light? So basically it is variable gray filter, right?
Correct.
remmy223

Post by remmy223 »

I'm with Eric and Guy on this one. never needed one, conditions can be dealt with by about 4 or 5 filters.
rbs

Re: Twin Polarizer

Post by rbs »

KatoomDownUnder wrote:I'm currently using the Gehmann 550 Iris with twin polarizer and for the sun here it's great. The ability to vary the amount of polarization between nil through to fairly dark is great especially for those days with scattered cloud.
The best aspect is the ability to truly cut glare which coloured filters can make worse depending upon the colour used.
In the end it's a matter of personal preference as I don't see any wrong or right answer.
I am also a fan of the polarizer as I have not found any filter that works as well on a very bright target. I would suggest borrowing one and trying it for yourself.
KatoomDownUnder

Polarisers

Post by KatoomDownUnder »

mtncwru wrote:The range I shoot at most frequently in competition faces nearly due west. Because of this, the glare on the targets can be quite substantial, especially during the early stages of a winter* match as the sun is coming up and shining straight on the targets. In those circumstances, no amount of color filters would cut it, but dropping in a polarizer was perfect. Plus, I can fine tune the amount and angle of light filtered to further optimize contrast, not something that can always be easily done with color filters. If you are going to get one, spring for the one that can be quickly and easily removed when lighting changes.

*I use the term "winter" loosely, as the only way we in Southern California know it's winter is that the sun comes up later and sets earlier. Yes, I might be rubbing that in with all my neighbors to the north, just a little.
Here in Sydney, other than SISC the orientation and construction of a few of the small club ranges means that sun glare can be a real hassle. Throwing daylight savings into the mix when your home range faces NW makes for interesting summer evening shoots. Being slightly colourblind makes some filters useless to me which is another reason why I use a polariser.

Oh and Guy, there's still beer awaiting collection.

Pete
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

I understood from the AGH catalogue that a polariser also diminishes the effect of heat shimmer/mirage.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

BobGee wrote:I understood from the AGH catalogue that a polariser also diminishes the effect of heat shimmer/mirage.
Given that's caused by heat radiating from the ground kin front of the target, I'm not sure how a polariser would help. It can tone down glare in very bright light, but not correct mirage.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Turns out it was actually the Anschutz (not the AHG) catalogue (apologies for the poor image; better image in PDF download):
Attachments
Anschutz Katalog_2007_Matchprogramm.pdf
(65.24 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Anschutz Katalog_2007_Matchprogramm.jpg