AP Cylinder expiry date standards?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MGBOB

AP Cylinder expiry date standards?

Post by MGBOB »

I just last week purchased a brand new Walther LP 400 Carbon with an extra cylinder.

There are two different "dates' on each of the cylinders.

One of the cylinders near the manometer says "usable till: 07/2022",
near the regulator it says "usable till:04/022"

The other cylinder has "usable till:03/2022" near the manometer and
with "usable till:12/021" near the regulator.

So my question is how long is each cylinder good for? Is it the lowest date stamped on the cylinder or the higher date? Why the three month difference between the two dates?

I also purchased two "new" co2 cylinders for my Pardini K60 (my original cylinders were undated). Both of those cylinders have the following on them "val.2012-31" and nothing else that even looks like a date. So what is the correct expiry date on these two? Are they already past their expiry date?

It would appear that there is no formal standard on how the expiry date is stamped and yet we are being warned that we are in jeopardy if we try to use "out of date" cylinders at certain matches.

Since many of these items are purchased mail order how does the consumer protect themselves from getting old stock that may already be expired?
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Could the "val.2012-31" be the date of manufacture and not expiration?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Do a search. There has been a fair amount of discussion on this subject.
MGBOB

Post by MGBOB »

It might be a manufactured date but while I understand the 2012 part what does 31 mean? Is it March 1st or is it day 31 of the year 2012?

There does not seem to be universal standard and I think there needs to be.

And yes there has been lots of discussion and opinions but so far no firm replies other than "You can not use cylinders older than 10 years".

When there are two dates on one cylinder which one is the "correct" expiry date?
MGBOB

Post by MGBOB »

When I participate in a PTO they might care and I would hate to travel and then be told I could not shoot because my cylinders are out of date!

I understand that local matches might not enforce the rule (which is fine by me) but rules have a way of changing and suddenly being enforced.

I won't get you started on the CBI flag issue as I get the feeling that your answer might be the same.

There is more than one club in the Phoenix area that is doing 10 meter air pistol. I have not yet visited them all, my last visit to PR&G was over ten years ago when they had regular matches for 10M pistol. It was there that I learned that my co2 pistol does not work that well in 100 degree heat. There were no "expiry" date issues or CBI flag requirements back then.

I had hoped that I could get a definitive answer to my query but it seems to be elusive at this point. Thank you all for considering it at any rate. Shoot well and be safe!
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

MGBOB;
Here is my take for what it is worth.
As far the Walther cylinders go, heck you got almost nine years to worry about it and I would error on the side of the early date to stay safe if you are concerned about the cylinder code.
For the Pardini cylinders, my view from being in the automotive trade is (31st week of 2012).

Clarence
MGBOB

Post by MGBOB »

For the Pardini cylinders do you think that is the expiry date or the manufacture date?

The 31st week sounds reasonable, a good call I think. I sure hope it is manufacture date or else I bought cylinders that are expired already to the tune of $185 apiece.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Have you asked Pardini?
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

My Hammerli cylinders have the date of manufacture on them from 2004.
In 2002 I am not sure if anybody worried about expiration after 10 years.

I would contact Pardini. If you bought expired cylinders, I would call the place you bought them from and get a refund. If they won't, call your credit card company and get them involved. I still bet that is a manufacture date.

I think the 10 year rule is going to hurt air pistol more than help it unless someone can come up with hydro testing. When I was having my scuba tank tested they had a tank from 1966 just pass hydro.
David Levene

Re: AP Cylinder expiry date standards?

Post by David Levene »

MGBOB wrote:Since many of these items are purchased mail order how does the consumer protect themselves from getting old stock that may already be expired?
When you order, specify the latest manufacturing date you are prepared to accept.
RobinC

Walther Cylinders

Post by RobinC »

Hi
Interesting!! I'd never noticed, I have new Walthers (LG400's) and like yours mine have two differing dates. I had only taken any notice of the one at the regulator end as its more prominent, but here is my opinion of the variance and I'm pretty sure I'm right.

The one near the regulator has been engraved by the manufacturer of the cylinder after a pressure test when it was assembled,which is why it states both the working and the test pressure, and it may be a sub contractor and not Walther, but I don't know for sure. That engraving is the evidence that it had been proof tested, that cylinder was then stored and then submitted to the official German proof facility (the TUV and the the official engraving is also designated SUD for South which is where Walther is), they may have tested but more likely accepted the manufactured test stamp and supporting paperwork and then added their stamp which of coures will be later than the manufacture one. So the later date is the valid one, especially as it is a TUV one and not Walther.
I'm certain I'm right but if you wish to check phone 0049 731 1539 1 09 and ask for the sports service dept, they all speak English.
Personally as my oldest one has seven years to run, I'll just ask them next time I'm there which will be next year.

PS just to really throw you there is another manufacture date on the end of the valve which is in the cylinder!

Don't worry the TUV one will be the official expiry date.
Rover

Post by Rover »

MGBOB, I don't know of ANY Phoenix club besides PRGC offering "real" (NRA and USAShooting) matches. If there was, I'd be there.

PTOS are held here, but I suppose you could travel to Utah or California for one.
MGBOB

Post by MGBOB »

I heard back from Pardini on the val.2012-031 marking. Pardini validates the cylinders for 20 years, in this case it is 2012-2031 (they do not stamp the 2 in the second date hence 2012-031).

I know that ISSF will only allow me to use the cylinder for ten years so they are "good" from 2012 thru 2021. Then another ten years of use as practice cylinders.

Also my question is answered about the Walther cylinders (the standards association stamp at the front end of the cylinder "usable till: 07/2022")

Rio Salado Sportsmans Club is trying to get a 10 meter league together. They have a 8 position 10 meter airgun hall (air conditioned). It is not quite up to ISSF standards but for practice it is quite ok. The rules they shoot with are 10 shots in 10minutes at 10 meters repeated 6 times for score. Two ten shot practice sessions before the match starts. Currently we put ten shots on a B40 target before we manually change the targets by going down range. We hope to get the use of the electric returning targets (they have them but only for use by the junior air rifle program at the moment) in the near future. Matches are being held weekly alternating between morning and evening sessions. We are filling the first relay and may have to go to a second relay as word spreads.
conradin

Post by conradin »

My own Steyr cylinders date back to 94. Never a problem. Always keep the right pressure. I only use my new cylinders for the sake of calculating how many shots I have when it is filled by the scuba tank, especially when the tank is no longer full.