Shooting in Kenya

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Now, today's qualification results for the two Kenyan competitors in the men's air pistol "singles" discipline are also out:
Madhar and Shah scored places 20 and 24 respectively, out of 28
starters, with 547 and 536 rings. For comparison, the three best shooters had 584, 580, 577.

It is one of the really good things about shooting that you are not limited to a peak period of only a few years, like in many other sports. While our national ISSF journal occasionally jokes about "an old men's revolt", I will admit that like the comparatively level playing field. The other side is the stagnation and over-aging of the shooting sports in some countries (like the UK). Top youngsters are rather found in countries like India, Malaysia, Thailand, increasingly Iran...
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

The Kenyan full-bore rifle shooters are almost through now. Peter Mathenge is from the middle age bracket, while Satiender Sehmi is a veteran.

The two last Kenyan shooters (Linet Awuor Owiti in women's air pistol, Farrook Kassamali Omar in men's 50 metres prone rifle) will start tomorrow.
Alexander

Racial problems in Kenyan shooting

Post by Alexander »

There is an update now. Unfortunately, it is not positive. Racism never has a place in sports. Not in (old) South Africa, and not in Kenya.
I checked with my Kenyan friends. I know all the people involved. And unhappily, the writer (Cate Mukei) seems to have understated the case, not overstated.

Read here:
http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?article ... ver-racism

Sad regards,
Alexander
yukra

Contact information

Post by yukra »

Sad indeed. And also that the shooting range is inaccessible for most of the week. I am a newbie looking to get better and will be in Nairobi next weekend. Do you know if the club is still open to foreigners and would you know anyone I could contact for information?
Thank you!
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

To contact them is the difficult part. The Indian clique is said to try to transform the formerly open club into a closed shop for a small circle of friends. Whether there are counter-tendencies, I cannot say with certainty.

Your best bet is to drive by and check, since the range is VERY easy to access by car and also by public transportation. Just say "sailing club at Nairobi Dam", and look at its location on Wikimapia before.
yukra

Visited range

Post by yukra »

Hi. Just wanted to say that I did go and had a warm welcome, but I had been introduced by someone who knows someone there, etc... I guess that helped. Range is indeed opened only two days/week. On Saturday, only from 1400-1730.