prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bugman1955

prone

Post by bugman1955 »

I would like to know how shooters lay down for prone. Either kneeling and laying down or already down on the mat and hook up the rifle from there. Advantages and disadvantages of both.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I'm kneeling when I clip the sling onto the rifle, as I feel it's easier to get my hand fully under the rifle. I then lower myself onto the mat, leading with my left elbow. However looking around at matches most folks lie down first then sling up.
Bob3700

Post by Bob3700 »

I am with Tim. Place the sling around by left hand (this position is critical for me) and then lead down onto the mat with my left elbow.

I want the sling across the back of my hand and not across my wrist bone. Across the wrist cuts off the circulation in my hand.

Bob
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

It depends what you regard as the critical element. I feel that it is orientation, therefore I spend time correctly lining my mat up and then ensuring that I lie on it correctly. Once comfortable, holding the rifle with my right hand. I position the left hand in contact with the hand stop. With the left elbow in position and the left arm supporting the rifle I connect the sling (push connector) and adjust the sling position over the back of the left hand. I position the butt in the shouldler with the right hand and lower the right elbow. I then lower the right elbow and check the feel of the position before commencing the alignment checks.

Rutty
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

Here you have some examples from the World Cup 2013 in Munich, photo taken today, so really up to data.
:-)
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Nice pictures but they don't tell you how the shooter got into position. In some cases you can't even see what that position is - but I do know it varies quite a lot from shooter to shooter, at club or elite level.

I'm more like Rutty in that I lay down first then hook up. I do what you shouldn't do and move my elbows around to get in the right position relative to my scope. The most important point though is that however you get there, your position must be 100% consistent and your NPA must be aligned correctly with the target diagram.

Rob.
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

Even worst, you do not now what they are actually doing there.

Sorry, just kidding. Yesterday we had again such "tarmps atack" on the range... I hate this, it is against the rules, and nobody takes care...
KatoomDownUnder

Prone

Post by KatoomDownUnder »

Grzegorz, what rule does having a blanket or similar to keep warm break?
After going through the manual the only one I could find is 6.7.2 and since all competitors have decided to cover up there can't be an unfair advantage unless your a complete numpty and decided to tough it out. What's to say that the competitors didn't approach the officials and discuss the idea?
Rule 6.7.6 won't apply as a blanket or similar covering is not a piece of clothing, well unless your unfortunate enough to be homeless :-(

As for position, I tend to sit on the mat and hook on with the butt on my left foot before easing into position by rolling onto my left elbow with my left hand holding the rifle pointed down range and the slide my legs back as I roll into position. Hard to describe but it works. My theory for this is that we have range regs which require the muzzle to either be pointing down range on the firing point or pointing up when carried un-cased. I also use the time with the rifle upright to remove my bipod. It's not perfect but neither am I. ;-)
Tim S

Re: Prone

Post by Tim S »

KatoomDownUnder wrote:After going through the manual the only one I could find is 6.7.2 and since all competitors have decided to cover up there can't be an unfair advantage unless your a complete numpty and decided to tough it out.
That numpty would appear to be Sergei Kovalenko in the top photo.
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

Of course, 6.7.2 should be applied. Take into accont, that not all the shooters have grabbed carpets from their hotels... :-) Some shooters are ethically on a higher level simply... You call them "numpty"?

It should be:
- either prohibited by the Rules
- or allowed on the same way as mats are allowed - only provided for ALL shooters on a range.

OK, sorry, it is off topic, so I do not continue here :-)
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

All competitors are entitled to do it, same as all competitors are entitled to wear thermal base layers and woolly hats. They don't have to, but realistically, that rule is open to such extremely broad interpretation that it's almost meaningless. It's a catch-all for officials to deal with properly unfair behaviour and tactics, rather than people just looking after their health and basic comfort.
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

Dave, it is your interprtation, this of mine is different...

OK, let's go back to the subject :-)

Seriously now... My shooter connect a sling being kneeling. There is one point that I find important (just my opinion) - when taking position it is good to take care that the left part of the jacket is firmly placed below a hip bone as this stabilize position and gives some kind of support. One more - if position seems to be not well taken, I never advise to correct it in prone - back to kneeling again and repeat taking position. Just my 2 eurocents :-)
Metookevin

Post by Metookevin »

I hook up while in position similar to photo above with shooter shown in firing point H. Then starting well back from scope, lie down & then crawl forward a little bit to get jacket & pants into a consistent position.