22 Pistol-Which One?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Richathome

22 Pistol-Which One?

Post by Richathome »

I will be a beginner with a 22 pistol. I've been looking at one of the Ruger Mark III pistols, either one of the 3 target versions or the competition pistol. I need some input on one of these OR other brands to look into. I would like a very nice and dependable gun to enter this portion of pistol shooting. I have been on the edge for some time and now I'm ready to try. Thanks Rich
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Ruger is a good choice, get a model that is pre drilled and comes with a rail, so if later you decide to add a red dot its easily done. Smith and wesson 22A is a good entry level gun, it has adjustable sights and is red dot ready and goes for about 299.00.
NDbullseye

Post by NDbullseye »

I have a Ruger Mk III comp target model. One of the best starter 22 pistols around for a resonable price. They are very accurate. Sub 1" groups at 50yds. Also super relieable. It can take you to master and beyond.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I would go for the Ruger, also. Get a trigger job and maybe some target grips and you have nothing to fear from anyone. Try some CCI Standard Velocity in it while you're at it.
Yiogo

Mark 111 Target

Post by Yiogo »

I have the Mark III target and really like it. I replaced the grips with the ones that have the thumb rest which incidentally come with the Competition model. My pistol is about 3 lbs with a dot. I think the weight of the Competition model might be a little more as is the price. Do dry fire each before deciding. A couple of extra mags would be nice for a match for a total of 4. Yiogo
mparker

Post by mparker »

Not an all-inclusive list but some guns to think about. Good Luck with your search.

Beginner
Ruger and Browning

Next Level
Walther SP22 M4, High Standard Victor and similar

"Expert" and High Performance Convertibles (pistols with kits of various calibers)
Hammerli SP20, Walther GSP, Pardini, S&W Model 41, Sig/Hammerli Trailside (Hammerli X-esse), Volquartsen V-10X

The Elite
Feinwerkbau and Hammerli
Last edited by mparker on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richathome

Thanks for the Response

Post by Richathome »

I want to thank all for the rapid response, much appreciated and I will sift through it all. I've been shooting air pistol for a while and have been wanting to venture into shooting a good 22LR. Now thanks to all of you I have a great starting point.

Thanks again, Rich
Misny

Post by Misny »

The Walther P22 is just a plinker. The Walthr GSP is a serious target pistol.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

if you want a truly ready to compete gun, check out this.

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?p=190417#190417
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Another possible strategy: do not go with a "beginner" pistol at all. Also, do not look at old designs with high barrel lines (Smith 41, High Standard). Get something that would allow you to be competitive not only in conventional pistol, but also in standard pistol and rapid fire pistol (if you eventually get interested in International disciplines, which are at least as exciting). Rapid fire stages of conventional pistol are fairly slam dunk with plenty of time and big 10-rings, so a High Standard would do just fine, but 10-second series of the standard pistol (to say nothing of 6- and 4 second series of RFP) are much more demanding. A Pardini (or similar, Like Walther GSP) gun would fit that bill. Yes, the bill is expensive, but you would not need to buy a new gun when your shooting interests broaden. What if you decide that you are not that much into shooting after a few more months? No problem, a Pardini has an excellent resale value.
John C

Post by John C »

I started shooting a Ruger Mk II and shot it exclusively for 10 years, first as a collegiate.

While an excellent pistol, I think there are better low end choices. If I were in your shoes today, I would probably buy a Browning Buckmark. I just think it's a bit more ergonomic. The heavy bolt of the Ruger causes a lot of vertical movement during recoil. For some reason, I think mainly the geometry of the pistol, the Buckmark is less prone to this. I say this with a caveat that I've never competed with a Buckmark.

Unfortunately, there's a large gap in the marketplace between the entry level target pistols (Ruger Mk III, Browning Buckmark, and S&W 22A) at around $450 and the lowest level European pistols (Benelli MP95) at $929.

Good luck!

-John
xeye

tgt pistol

Post by xeye »

Put up an ad at your range and see who is selling their old pistol. Best deal, pre tuned, red dot, and extra mags usually.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

Personally I would opt for the S&W 41 as a starter 22. It comes with a superb trigger and will serve you for many moons until you feel the need for one of the high end imports.
xeye

Post by xeye »

TonyT wrote:Personally I would opt for the S&W 41 as a starter 22. It comes with a superb trigger and will serve you for many moons until you feel the need for one of the high end imports.
41's are so expensive now, you may as well step up to one of the imports, unless you find a deal on a used one.
tenx9

very simple

Post by tenx9 »

There is really only 2 rules of thought. 1. Buy the best pistol you can afford and then some. Quality European pistols are expensive but you get what you pay for. A $400? Ruger will never be as reliable, quality of trigger, or comfort of use as Hammerlis, Walthers....etc. I know they cost, but you'll never sell them or trade them and they will last a lifetime. 2. Buy a Marvel conversion for your 1911 frame. Same trigger, as your .45 and that will help your overall Bullseye score. If you're sensitive to pistol triggers or grip angle just buy the Marvel and practice, practice and some more practice.
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi Rich,

Please allow me to offer an alternate suggestion. Handle a bunch of different guns such as Ruger, Smith & Wesson 41, etc., as these are easy to find in shops and on ranges. If possible, also handle the expensive stuff, even if it's out of your price range for now....
Check for things like easy reach to trigger, easy visibility of sights, and natural point of aim. For the latter, just close your eyes raise the gun and try to instinctively point at some area at eye level. Do the sights align? Is the bore pointing too low or too high? If there are orientation problems with the left and right, can this be comfortably solved by changing your grip?

In other words, "fit" is important.

There are some fine, accurate pistols that just won't work for you just because they don't fit. There are others that may not get much respect but happen to fit you well. I used to use a Colt Woodsman that has long been considered obsolete, perhaps even uncompetitive. But, I did very well with it. Of course, a mediocre plinker won't give you the scores you'd like even if it fits well. But, there can be some pleasant surprises out there.

All the pistols mentioned here have merit.
To the list I'd like to add the Colt Woodsman (in various models, but specifically the Match Target) and the old Browning Medalist made by FN.
These both have some collector appeal, so although they may cost anywhere from $375-600 in used condition, they will retain their value or appreciate.
That's something that cannot be said for virtually any of the new stuff in that price range.

Best Regards and Welcome to the sport,

Jim
Yiogo

Pistols

Post by Yiogo »

I love my Ruger Mark III. It's a bit heavy at 3 lbs with a red dot. I just bought a used Walther/Hammerli Mark 4 and would like to shoot that without a dot. Lord willing I hope to buy the accessory weights to tame the muzzle flip for sustained fire. Yiogo
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

You can get a Ruger tuned to be a good bullseye pistol gun. Personally I would opt for the S&W Model 41 which comes out of the factory with a superb trigger and will last you for many years of shooting until you get to the MAster class and above.
Yiogo

Interesting

Post by Yiogo »

Personal preference...I guess. I was thinking about the Model 41 but didn't like the trigger. I like the trigger on my Mark 111 more and the trigger on M4 is outstanding and is even adjustable. That's why you have to handle each pistol and decide for yourself. Yiogo
xpshooter

Post by xpshooter »

Hi,

I agree with shaky hands and I think the best route is to get a Pardini or something similiar.

I have a Mark II government target model and it is fun. I have shot my dad's high standards and they are amazingly accurate. However I crave the most accurate firearms available and if you feel like I do you too will find yourself saving for a pardini or similiar.

This same thinking has me saving for LP50, I am dissapointed Stery quit trying to fix the bugs with the electronic trigger of the LP50E because that would have been my next purchase.

I realize they cost alot, but I think it is safe to say you only need to buy it once and you will not wear it out. Every time I shoot one one my accurate or custom guns I realize why I paid as much as I did for them.

Have a Good Day,

xpshooter