second tier pcp?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

second tier pcp?

Post by toddinjax »

Hey all,

It seems most of the pcp AP mentioned in posts here (LP10, Morini 162, p44, K10) are in the $1800-$2500 range. No one ever mentions the Gehman GP1 or FAS 609, both around $1300. Are these two known to be troublesome, unreliable, inaccurate, or are they just not "sexy" because the manufacturer failed to give one to one of the top 10 shooters in the world?
Last edited by toddinjax on Thu May 23, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Well from the Pilkguns review the 609 seems a fairly decent pistol for the price:
http://www.pilkguns.com/aphp/fas609.htm
Though he does mention lack of cylinder guages, a significant element when too-low pressure during a match will result in rapidly dropping point of impact. And the finish sounds pretty rough, both frame and grip. But for half the price it sounds like a great entry level option.
John C

Post by John C »

It looks like FAS has added a manometer to the cylinder, according to Airguns of Arizona.

It looks like the big difference between the top shelf pistols and the next tier down is a recoil absorber and advanced compensators. Is it worth the extra money? Probably. But it's a steep price to pay for a couple of extra points, at most.

-John
j-team

Post by j-team »

For the same money, a used top pistol (Steyr, FWB, Walther, Morini, Pardini etc.) would be a better bet than a new "second" tier pistol.

They don't really wear out, so you will not have any drop in performance. And you will get most of your money back when you decide to sell it, which will not be the case if you buy a lower quality new pistol.

That's what I would do anyway.
william

Post by william »

In that price range, I'd put the Benelli Kite head of the class.
rmca

Post by rmca »

j-team wrote:For the same money, a used top pistol (Steyr, FWB, Walther, Morini, Pardini etc.) would be a better bet than a new "second" tier pistol.

They don't really wear out, so you will not have any drop in performance. And you will get most of your money back when you decide to sell it, which will not be the case if you buy a lower quality new pistol.

That's what I would do anyway.
Exactly my view.

If you don't want to spend the money for a new "top shelf" pistol, then your best bet would be a second hand one. It will cost the same or a little less than a new "second tier" pistol.

You will have the same performance as a new one, and you won't be second guessing your equipment every time you shoot a lower score.

Plus, you will have some more "street credibility" at the range... ;)
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

When it comes time to put new seals or valves in a gun that you hardly see, it might be hard to find parts & service. It is hard enough with some of the more common guns.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

brent375hh wrote:When it comes time to put new seals or valves in a gun that you hardly see, it might be hard to find parts & service. It is hard enough with some of the more common guns.
Very valid point. No point buying a gun that if it goes wrong has to be sent off to Europe for repair. Steyrs etc have a very good service infrastructure.

Rob.
joel

Post by joel »

The Hammerli AP40 is a very nice first air pistol.

Joel
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I have a Hammerli 480 converted to AP40. It is a really good air pistol. I have shot my personal best (569) with it. It is now out to be hopefully fixed with a 10-12 week estimated turnaround. I just bought a Steyr for the fact that I assume that I can get better turn around than that, plus I can have parts in about a week from Pilkington. I have doubts about the continued support of Hammerli APs in the USA, or I would not have bought a Steyr. Hammerli was sold to Sig in the 90's and I think that Walther now owns them. It is more of a marketing name now than in the glory days of the prior century IMHO.

Prior to the Hammerli I had an Air Match 600 in 1984. I bought lots of spares when they were still available.

Buying a gun 1/2 price of a common name brand with service that then becomes a wall hanger in 5 years is false economy in my experience.
The problem is knowing what will be obsolete in 10 years.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Did you try to have the gun fixed here (say Pilk)? In my personal experience, I have never seen a gun that couldn't be fixed with seals and/or springs.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I called Pilk, they told me they do not work on Hammerli. It is at another shop in the US with quite a backlog.