Smallbore is moving away from Camp Perry

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jobin33

Smallbore is moving away from Camp Perry

Post by jobin33 »

I heard Smallbore will not be an event at NRA Nationals in Camp Perry for 2014 and 2015. The NRA will be moving it to Bristol, IN then in 2016 it will return to Camp Perry. It's a shame this historic event will be interupted for 2 years. I feel bad for the juniors that look forward to that match every year like it was a holiday.
bdutton

Re: Smallbore is moving away from Camp Perry

Post by bdutton »

jobin33 wrote:I heard Smallbore will not be an event at NRA Nationals in Camp Perry for 2014 and 2015. The NRA will be moving it to Bristol, IN then in 2016 it will return to Camp Perry. It's a shame this historic event will be interupted for 2 years. I feel bad for the juniors that look forward to that match every year like it was a holiday.
Care to post a link?
Hap Rocketto

Smallbore temporary move

Post by Hap Rocketto »

From Bill Carter, Smallbore Committee Chair, to the smallbore community

Ladies and Gentlemen:

This past Tuesday I was informed that a decision has been made by NRAHQ to temporarily relocate the NRA National Championship Smallbore 3-P and Prone from Camp Perry, Ohio to Bristol, Indiana in 2014 and 2015. I was very disappointed and surprised to receive this notification since it was agreed to and shared by me with others, while in Houston during last weeks NRA Annual Meeting, that the NRA National Smallbore Championships would remain at Camp Perry. I have shared my disappointment as well as my opposition to the move with NRAHQ but the decision to move Smallbore is final, however, I have been assured that Smallbore will return to Camp Perry in 2016 if that is what the competitors want.

The reason for the temporary move is a scheduling conflict and the need to accommodate the World Palma Rifle Championships Scheduled for 2014 and 2015 at Camp Perry. In 2014 Camp Perry will host a "dress rehearsal" for the teams that will attend the 2015 World Championships also at Camp Perry.

I am sure that Dennis and his staff will be providing specifics as they move past the 2013 National Matches and into 2014 scheduling.

Bill
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Bristol is a beautiful range in Amish rural Indiana. That being said, I would miss Camp Perry. What would they do for a Commercial row? Apart from camping where is the lodging space? Bristol is a 100 point range as I remember. I just don't imagine this will be feasable.
Chris
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

"the decision to move Smallbore is final, however, I have been assured that Smallbore will return to Camp Perry in 2016 if that is what the competitors want. "

Since when does the NRA ever listen to the competitors as to what we want? Take the 6400 vs 4800 format as a prime example. The NRA was presented with the results (with the paper copies) of a survey from Camp Perry showing that 80% wanted the 6400 format.

NRA response - "pound sand - the decision is made above and it is final".

The NRA for years wanted to get rid of smallbore at Camp Perrry due to cost and now they got their wish.

I can't wait to see the brainiacs come up with for squadding 300 prone competitors on a max 200 competitor range. The national matches will now most likely become an invitational type event - there are some merits to that but it detracts from the overall participation in the sport.
proneshooter

Post by proneshooter »

This decision will hurt Smallbore participation and cripple junior shooting. The impact on the vendors at Camp Perry will be a serious loss of income. I have spent on average 5000.00 every year since 1992 on commercial row goods plus at least another 500.00 a year in town. I hate to even think about what I have spent at the CMP North store over the years. Think of how many juniors got their first gun at Perry and a new shooting coat. I keep going to keep the Perry streak alive. Thanks to the NRA it ends with this summers championships. I doubt I will start another one. Perhaps it is time for the CMP to step up to the plate and build a national range for Smallbore in Anniston!
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

It will hit the vendors, but not excessively as they also make a lot during pistol and high power.

The sad part is that the vendors will most likely not open a commercial row in Bristol - and that hurts us as consumers.

Ken
Hap Rocketto

Post by Hap Rocketto »

From HQ Moody:

You have probably heard by now that we are moving the NRA SMALLBORE RIFLE CHAMPIONSHIPS to Bristol, IN, in 2014.

This move is necessary to support the World Palma Rifle Championships scheduled to be held at Camp Perry in 2015. 2014 will be “dress rehearsal” for 2015.

The 2014 & 2015 Smallbore Rifle Championships are being planned at the Wa-Ke-De Range, Bristol, IN. Located just off the Indiana Toll Road, Interstate 80, approximately three hours due west of Camp Perry, OH. The Wa-Ke-De Range features a 100 point asphalt covered firing line and sits in a large grove of trees providing a beautiful setting and shelter from the wind. This range is ideal for smallbore rifle competition.

The tentative dates are July 14-25, 2014 (including the Metric Championship). We will have enough range space for 300 competitors. We are planning two barbecues, one for the Prone Championship and one for the Position Championship, and we are planning to have the Awards Ceremonies at Das Dutchman Essenhaus, an Amish style hotel with restaurants, shops, and a sit down family style dinner, for the Conventional Championships.

We expect to have the Championship Program published -- and on line -- no later than Match 3rd, 2014 with registrations starting April 1, 2014.

We are currently working with the community to secure special rates for local lodging. Competitors who like to camp will have plenty of opportunity with a KOA Campground just a mile away from the range and there are 20 range RV hookups on the range. For those who wish to have hotel or motel accommodations, Das Dutch Essenhaus is located just five miles away next to Middleboro. There are about 8-10 hotels and restaurants just 10 to 15 minutes away from the range at exit 92. The Staff Hotel is the Baymont Inns and Suites, Elkhart, just a 10 minute drive from the range. Limited, special rate, rooms will be available.

If you would like more information please contact HQ Moody, 703-267-1475, or contact him directly if you are attending the 2013 NRA National Smallbore Rifle Championships, Camp Perry.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Hap,
The World long range championship should have gone to Raton. The NRA has always wanted to move more events out there anyways. The UK team has reserved time out there this summer for practice. Anyways, it's closer to Australia and New Zealand. LOL. Getting serious now, the juniors who compete at Perry really want to go back every year. Those Juniors usually end up in highpower or long range eventually. The list of names is endless in highpower that started in Smallbore. Send them to Bristol and it sets future development back two years and maybe more. The NRA is slitting it's throat and it's future. My 17 year old will go to Perry in highpower rather than go to Bristol. Please pass this along as I know you don't think it is right either. Thanks
Chris
Hap Rocketto

Smallbore Move

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Chris,

Like the juniors you mention I am also emotionally involved in shooting at Camp Perry. This year will be my 36th trip, I have only missed once since 1975, and that was because I was shooting overseas.

The powers that be at the NRA have made the decision to displace smallbore for two years to accommodate the World Palma Rifle Championships and, as far as I can determine, it is final.

I have shot, and will shoot, at Bristol. It is an excellent range. That being said, I cannot wait to return to Camp Perry.

Best,

Hap

Post by Guest »

In my talks over the past years with HQ about Raton events, he gets a sneer on his face. He does not feel that Raton has enough high class hotels to put up the NRA staff
Dustin Clays

Post by Dustin Clays »

Here is the info from the NRA blog site:

http://www.nrablog.com/post/2013/05/28/ ... s.facebook

Fairfax, Virginia - If you've been hearing mumblings about changes to the NRA National Smallbore Rifle Championships, both Position and Prone, look no further. We're here to set the record straight. The championships are being moved from Camp Perry, Ohio to Bristol, Indiana for 2014 and 2015 - but why?

The move is necessary to support the World Palma Rifle Championships scheduled at Camp Perry in the summer of 2015. Why 2014 also? Next year will be used as a “dress rehearsal” for the event. Although there will no doubt be a little commotion, the Palma Championships come around once every 25 years, so it will be a while before Camp Perry's regular schedule gets disrupted again.

To some smallbore shooters the new, temporary location will be familiar. The Wa-Ke-De Range in Bristol, Indiana is the current location of NRA Metric Championships, held each year right before the National Smallbore Championships at Camp Perry.

Located just off the Indiana Toll Road, Interstate 80, the Wa-Ke-De Range is about three hours due west of Camp Perry. The venue isn't as expansive as Camp Perry (as few places are), but it is actually ideal for smallbore rifle competition. With enough space for 300 competitors, the range features a 100-point asphalt covered firing line and sits in a large grove of trees that provide a beautiful setting and shelter from the wind.

The 2014 dates are tentatively set for July 14-25, 2014 (including the Metric Championship). Although the scenery will be different, the familiar fun of the championships will remain.

Now that the change is official, the Championship Program will be published -- and online -- no later than Match 3rd, 2014 with registrations starting April 1, 2014.

We are currently working with the community to secure special rates for local lodging. Competitors who like to camp will have plenty of opportunity with a KOA Campground just a mile away from the range. Additionally, the range has 20 RV hookups. For those who wish to have hotel or motel accommodations, a number of hotels and restaurants are just 10 to 15 minutes away from the range at exit 92.

If you would like more information please contact HQ Moody, 703-267-1475, or speak with him in person at the 2013 NRA National Smallbore Rifle Championships this summer at Camp Perry.
Bbryer33

Post by Bbryer33 »

This is beyond stupid and very disappointing for juniors like me where this will ruin my junior and senior year National Matches
sjbesta

Post by sjbesta »

This decision will hurt Smallbore participation and cripple junior shooting. The impact on the vendors at Camp Perry will be a serious loss of income. I have spent on average 5000.00 every year since 1992 on commercial row goods plus at least another 500.00 a year in town. I hate to even think about what I have spent at the CMP North store over the years. Think of how many juniors got their first gun at Perry and a new shooting coat. I keep going to keep the Perry streak alive. Thanks to the NRA it ends with this summers championships. I doubt I will start another one. Perhaps it is time for the CMP to step up to the plate and build a national range for Smallbore in Anniston!

Wholesale Jerseys Free Shippin
2013 New NFL Jerseys
fvfhgfhgf vgfhgjg ujykukiy
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

sjbesta wrote:Perhaps it is time for the CMP to step up to the plate and build a national range for Smallbore in Anniston!
50 points, but better than nothin'
CMP Board of Directors Approves Development of New Outdoor
Marksmanship Park Near Talladega
By Steve Cooper, CMP Marketing Manager
ANNISTON, AL – The Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms
Safety, known as the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP), has approved the
development of the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park in Talladega County,
Alabama, located a few miles south of the Talladega Speedway. The action was
taken at a regularly scheduled meeting of the board last week.
“We are truly excited about developing a new facility where the CMP will
geographically expand its mission of teaching respect for firearms, promoting gun
safety and marksmanship principles,” said Mark Johnson, Deputy Chief
Operating Officer of the CMP”.
The CMP acquired a 500 acre parcel in 2012 with the vision of building a
state-of-the-art outdoor marksmanship facility that could be used for a variety of
firearms safety and marksmanship training and competitive purposes. The park
will be developed in several stages, and when complete, will include a 50 firing
point, 600-yard rifle range, and multiple-bay pistol and shotgun ranges.
As an aside, the NRA began construction of about a 1/3 mile long range (250 points or so) at Whittington Center back in the early 90's when it was rumored that Perry would be closed to civilians.
They have it graded out NE of the smallbore silhouette range.
It sits gathering weeds today
(Google Earth it at: 36°47'39.38"N 104°29'30.91"W)
Abi

Post by Abi »

sjbesta is a SPAM account