Walther SSP Purchase

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Deconn

Walther SSP Purchase

Post by Deconn »

considering the new top loading SSP.22; hearing some issues(not specific) with the guns functioning. if anyone has any pro/con comments I would appreciate you passing same on.( mechanical trigger) tks.
Tom Bowen

Post by Tom Bowen »

I have recently purchased an SSP. After 500 rounds I know I made the right decision.

The balance, the sights, the trigger and the grip are all I could ask for. I thought I might go with the Rink grips but the factory laminate fits my hand so well I have no need to change.

I prefer this over a GSP I owned prior and the Hammerli 208s I still have.
mparker

Post by mparker »

Tom Bowen wrote:I prefer this over a GSP I owned prior and the Hammerli 208s I still have.
Please explain a bit more.
Tom Bowen

Post by Tom Bowen »

I want to start with saying that all of these pistols are great, its just that some are better than others for a particular user.....

In comparison to the Walther SSP here are some of the short comings I see from the others. Doesn't mean you will feel the same way but here are my thoughts....

Walther GSP: its extremely nose heavy, the iron sights leave a lot to be desired. It has been an excellent pistol for many years and I would never criticize anyone for selecting it. It is also very easy to service and maintain.

But be careful, some states consider it an assault weapon since the magazine is in front of the trigger.

Hammerli 208s: A fine pistol with lots of records to its credit. What I don't like about is you can't do any grip angle adjustment, the bore is quite high in relationship to your hand. It has OK iron sights, you can get different width rear sight blades but there is no adjustment for the depth of the opening.

With all of that being said it's hard to find a better pistol when it comes to fit and finish.

I hope this has helped some.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

mparker wrote:
Tom Bowen wrote:I prefer this over a GSP I owned prior and the Hammerli 208s I still have.
Please explain a bit more.
Yes, please. Have you rested it at 50 yards?

I'm having trouble picturing the SSP as a dedicated bullseye .22. Most of the European standard/rapid fire pistols I have tested won't cut the mustard at 50 yards*.

Granted, if this is OP's only target .22, and you want to use it primarily for international rapid fire, plus some occasional bullseye, standard pistol, and sport pistol, it might be worth the coin. But you can get a used Pardini SP and a Smith 41 for about the same amount of money, and have guns that are better suited to each discipline. And that's only if you plan to shoot a lot of international.

If you're only planning to shoot bullseye, I'd recommend a Smith 41 or Hämmerli 208/215(s), plus a lot of ammo.

* The 208(s) and 215(s) will group at 50, but I wouldn't handicap myself with them for IRF or Standard/Sport unless I was limited to owning one gun.

ETA: you beat me to the punch in posting about ergonomics, but I still wonder about 50 yard accuracy, plus there's something to be said for matching the ergonomics of the 1911 for bullseye. I'd throw the Marvel and the FWB AW93 in there for consideration for bullseye too, although I haven't shot nor rested either.