Front sight vs Trigger press

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
BEA

Trigger pull

Post by BEA »

Rover, you do know that we are just kidding with you...right?
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

I notice that if I am truly focused on the front sight, a smooth trigger release just seems to "take care of itself". I'm embarrassed at how infrequently and inconsistently I perform and maintain such focused attention on the front sight, but when I do, the trigger really does just seem to pull itself and the shot goes off without disturbing anything. Is this a common perception, or just my own little mind game?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

toddinjax wrote:I notice that if I am truly focused on the front sight, a smooth trigger release just seems to "take care of itself". I'm embarrassed at how infrequently and inconsistently I perform and maintain such focused attention on the front sight, but when I do, the trigger really does just seem to pull itself and the shot goes off without disturbing anything. Is this a common perception, or just my own little mind game?
the road to Damascus?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Spencer wrote:
toddinjax wrote:I notice that if I am truly focused on the front sight, a smooth trigger release just seems to "take care of itself". I'm embarrassed at how infrequently and inconsistently I perform and maintain such focused attention on the front sight, but when I do, the trigger really does just seem to pull itself and the shot goes off without disturbing anything. Is this a common perception, or just my own little mind game?
the road to Damascus?

I think this is a common thing, but one thing that helps me achieve this, is lots of dry firing to get my trigger finger warmed up so it has some muscle memory for the smooth quick triggering that I need to get good results.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Spencer wrote:
the road to Damascus?
toddinjax is St. Paul???
luftskytter

Post by luftskytter »

Many beginners don't see this problem.
It takes a while to learn that shooting is difficult.

So when I try to shoot lefthanded, I use the "naive" half of my brain, and I just point the sights at the target, squeeze the trigger slowly, and BAM! I Guess if I start doing this more often, I'll get the same problems that I have with my experienced hand and brain hemisphere.

OTOH if I don't allow bad habits to develop, there's a chance I can teach my "other half" to be a really good shot!
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

john bickar wrote:
Spencer wrote:
the road to Damascus?
toddinjax is St. Paul???

Well, if he is St Paul, he is clearly in Minnesota, and not "jax". :-)
scerir

Post by scerir »

There are experiments showing that pistol shooters make good shots when not having maximal visual attention (i.e. on where the pistol was aimed). The suppression of visual attention during the final seconds of the pre-shot period is a necessary prerequisite for automatic shot execution.
Int. J. Psychophysiol. 2001 May; 41(1):19-29.
Biol. Psychol. 2000 Feb; 52(1):71-83.