Folding front sight for Sport and C/F

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
BobGee

Folding front sight for Sport and C/F

Post by BobGee »

Does anyone have any experience of using a folding front sight (klappkorn in German) for adjusting the sighting between precision and duelling stages in Sport Pistol or Centrefire? The concept strikes me as very sensible as it appears one can change from sub-six area aim to point of aim very simply at the flick of a finger.

They are not widely available - Earl and Allerman sell them for GSPs, Joniskeit in Germany makes them but Stadler (who apparently made the best one) has stopped making them. I am coming to the conclusion that, for some reason(s) they don't work very well or everyone would have them.

Can anyone throw any light on the subject. To my surprise I could not find anything in a search of the archives. There is a bit of discussion on German target shooting forums but no real indication as to their efficacy.

Bob
Tank

Post by Tank »

Never heard of this. Would by any chance be able to point me at a picture of one?
Sounds very interesting.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

For ISSF - an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem?
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Hi Spencer,

I wouldn't say that altering the rear sight on my GSP by 20 odd clicks when transitioning from the precision stage to the duelling stage is a problem, but one of these devices can safe that hassle and save the screw and detente in the rear sight from all that wear and tear. I'm sure they're not designed to be constantly ratcheted up and down.

Hi Tank,

Attached are some pics taken from three websites: joniskeit-1.de, allermann.de and eGun (Stadler type). I don't suppose they will mind as it's all advertising. If you want more, try Googling "klappkorn" on German websites. I believe that the Stadler type is no longer made.

Earl Sheehan in the US has them on his Walther website for US$95 but has no picture. I guess it's the Snap type (the middle picture).

Looking at the three types, the first and last look like they can be adjusted, i.e. the change of height can be varied - useful if you shoot 6 o'clock hold in precision - whereas the snap type (middle picture) looks like a fixed height change so might have to be ground down if you don't use a sub-six hold.

They all appear to be of fixed width, though fairly generous.

I'm still interested to hear if anyone has used one and what the pros and cons are.

Bob
Attachments
Allermann kalppkorn snap.jpg
Allermann kalppkorn snap.jpg (32.28 KiB) Viewed 4131 times
Joniskeit Klappkorn Gold.jpg
Joniskeit Klappkorn Gold.jpg (5.32 KiB) Viewed 4131 times
Stadler klappkorn 2.jpg
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

BobGee wrote:Hi Spencer,

I wouldn't say that altering the rear sight on my GSP by 20 odd clicks when transitioning from the precision stage to the duelling stage is a problem, but one of these devices can safe that hassle and save the screw and detente in the rear sight from all that wear and tear. I'm sure they're not designed to be constantly ratcheted up and down...
Bob
Given that the CF bits of my three-in-one kit GSP, and the H208 have each recieved a lot of use over the decades, and consequent winding of rear sight to accommodate POI and 'sub-6' (hate that term) settings without any problems - maybe they are (were?) designed for that use.

On a S&W revolver with factory sights, I can see a plus. Unscrewing that rear sight adjustment a click or two too far is a pain...
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Or you can buy a S+W 686 adjustable foresight as a spare.

At least I assume you can.

Designing and making one has been on my project list for a while.....
Leon

Post by Leon »

"Earl Sheehan in the US has them on his Walther website for US$95 but has no picture. I guess it's the Snap type (the middle picture). "

I've got one of the Earl's ones - it is NOS Walther manufacture and it looks like the one in the top picture....
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Hi Leon,

Is the Earl's one adjustable? What is it's width? Do you use it? Any problems or comments?

Bob
scerir

Re: Folding front sight for Sport and C/F

Post by scerir »

BobGee wrote:Does anyone have any experience of using a folding front sight (klappkorn in German) for adjusting the sighting between precision and duelling stages in Sport Pistol or Centrefire? The concept strikes me as very sensible as it appears one can change from sub-six area aim to point of aim very simply at the flick of a finger. Bob
In 1992, Walther had a special limited edition of the GSP designated as the 25 Jahre (25th Anniversary Edition). The frame of this model had a nickel finish and the bolt had a gold titanium finish. At the time, these sold for 2,549 Deutsche Marks. Both the 22lr and the 32wc had a folding front sight.
scerir

Post by scerir »

The original folding front sight by Walther (GSP, 25 jahre edition) was perfect, no problems at all.
http://wiki.waffen-online.de/index.php? ... ge2W_k.jpg
scerir

Post by scerir »

Leon

Post by Leon »

BobGee wrote:Hi Leon,

Is the Earl's one adjustable? What is it's width? Do you use it? Any problems or comments?

Bob
Yes it is adjustable - you can vary the elevation distance between precision and duelling via a set screw in the sight itself - then all you need to change the sight between the 2 is to press down on the sight - it clicks into place - up or down. Sight width is the same about 4mm ...

I should add that second hand versions of this sight sell for more on egun.de than what Earl charges for new ones....
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Just had feedback from Earl Sheehan to say that (despite them being still listed on his site) he has no stock and Walther no longer makes them.

Seems that the www.joniskeit-1.de items are the best replacement.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

I bought two of Joniskeit's klappkorn and they arrived a few days ago (€75 each + p&p). They are well made and, according to Joniskeit, are an improvement in the original Walther version though how you can improve on something so simple is not clear to me.

However, to cut to the chase, I used the new sight on my GSP this morning and with very little fiddling I got it set up and it works a treat. Now to sort out the GSP-C which should be just a successful.