Thinking about trading my LP 1 for an LP 10....thoughts pls

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Tom Bowen

Thinking about trading my LP 1 for an LP 10....thoughts pls

Post by Tom Bowen »

I am having my LP 1 serviced and purchasing a new cylinder, that is going to cost me about $390.

My challenge is do I spend an additional $650 and go ahead and trade to the Steyr LP 10?

I would like to hear the thoughts of others who have faced this same decision and how they felt afterwards about their decision.

As a side note I am not adverse to considering the Morinin 162EI, I would like to hear comments if anyone thinks that might be a wise move.

Thanks, Tom
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why? Couldn't Pilkington rebuild your present cylinders?

I guess you could go ahead if you think $650 will buy you better scores.
Tom Bowen

Post by Tom Bowen »

The cylinders are about 15 years old but the gun is in perfect shape.

Just thinking it would be worth it to have the current version for the $650 difference.....
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

There are two lines of thought, you could stay with your tried and trusted LP1 and continue to really enjoy your shooting or you could upgrade. However, now that you already have that thought in your mind are you going to look back in maybe 6 months time and say, if I had upgraded, by now I would be settled into the 'new' pistol and really enjoying it.
I made the upgrade from LP1 to LP10E and have never regretted it as it was a progression of the learning curve. Maybe my overall average has not improved, by my self esteem has.
Tough decision to make and only you can make it. Whatever you decide, keep enjoying the Steyr in whichever version.
Haireacane

LP1/LP10

Post by Haireacane »

Pilkington will no longer repair any air gun cylinder that is 10 years old or older so my 4-H club will soon be replacing cylinders for Steyr's and Morini's. We have 9 guns and 18 cylinders that will all have to be replaced in the next few years, that's a major expense. I'm sure that the used airgun prices will be affected if the cylinders are more than 10 years old and you intend to compete at a National event.

Our club has two LP1's, two LP10's, one LP2 and four Morini's. I have shot all of them and have competed at USA Shooting's Nationals multiple times and honestly my scores don't vary more than 5 to 10 points with any of these guns. My personal preference is a LP1 followed by a Morini.

I would disagree about buying points. We started with the Daisy 747 then moved up to CO2 Pardini's and on average my kids scores improved 50 points!!! Had major issues with CO2 as we practice in a livestock building that has no air conditioning and the heat and humidity in South Georgia is tough. With that said I think the common thread has been and will always be you will shoot best with the gun that fits you well and that you have confidence in. Good Luck.

David Haire
Tift County, Georgia 4-H Shooting Sports
Rover

Post by Rover »

I guess what T Bowen failed to mention was; why was he buying a new cylinder? Were the old ones dead?
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

Cylinders over 10 years old are not "certifiable" or insurable. Some clubs are strict on this. If a cylinder failed, there is major liability for the owner/user.

Two resources...

---------------

USA SHOOTING POLICY

COMPRESSED AIR CYLINDERS
2-26-13
Compressed and CO2 air cylinders used in Olympic-style air rifles and air pistols are manufactured to specific quality standards as established by the country of origin and/or additional regulating agencies. However, the material use in cylinders is subject to an aging process and therefore may deteriorate over time as a result of the stress of repeated use and high pressures used in modern airgun technology. A cylinder may appear to be damage free on the exterior with structural damage concealed on the interior of the cylinder.

A. In accordance with ISSF policy, air cylinders used in USA Shooting events and activities are considered expired and may not be used if more than ten years old as determined by the date of manufacture required to be placed on each cylinder.

B. Cylinders without a manufacture date may not be used for USA Shooting training or competitions.

---------------------------

General information in regard to FEINWERKBAU compressed air cylinders
1. The compressed air cylinders manufactured by FEINWERKBAU are produced according to the
German Pressure Vessel Code, but have not to be certified (i.e. by TÜV, etc.). The manufacturer
must assure the safety of the compressed air cylinder.
Based on the above the lifetime of the compressed air cylinders was limited to 10 years. After this
time period the compressed air cylinders shall be disposed in a safe condition which means
depressurized. FEINWERKBAU does not assume any liability in regard to the safety of
compressed air cylinders being used longer then 10 years.
The compressed air cylinders are produced out of a special, high quality aluminium alloy. However
the material is subject to an ageing process, which means the material might embrittle. The high
stress and strains caused by the filling pressure of 200 bars [2900psi] (in comparison: a car tire is
filled with 3 bar [43,51 psi], as well as the alternating load between filled and empty condition of
the compressed air cylinder could cause that the microstructure of the material might not withstand
the stress after 10 years of use.
An often so called overhaul or ‘TÜV-Test’ is not possible to extend the lifetime of a compressed air
cylinder.

The last bit of text is from a Feinwerkbau notice.
Rover

Post by Rover »

No one in Washington gives a damn; well, maybe you. I'm sure WCW is not looking over your shoulder.

I've never heard of anyone buying liability insurance for a cylinder. "Major liability for owner", hmm.

I think you should buy the LP10 or whatever, with new (manufactured this month) cylinders. You're obviously stressing out over this.
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

Huh?

Just trying to provide information. Sorry to offend you.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'm not at all offended, but there have been many posts on the subject of cylinders.

I thought this was about YOUR choice in air pistols.