Proper Warm Up

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Judith Arifandi

Proper Warm Up

Post by Judith Arifandi »

Hi,

actually I had this question since long time ago. Warm ups is important but people tend to forget. Sometimes people just move their body. I don't know if that could be classified as warm up. Juniors (including me) often didn't take it seriously (and I regret it). When I warm up sometimes I question myself how to warm ups properly. Do stretching is enough? I saw some shooter do little jog before practice or match. Basically the function of warm up is to 'wake up' body and mind before do any activities.

So the question is how to do warm ups properly for shooting? is pistol and rifle different? and does it applicable for both before training session and match? or warm up before match has its own way?
EJ

Post by EJ »

Warm up has a few different properties to it; warming up the body, getting mentally ready for the match and letting the body move in the direction you want it to during the match/training.

Stretching a muscle does not warm it up, moving it does (jogging, walking or just moving it around in a specific movement). Stretching is there (only if you need it) to make the different body parts sit where it is suppose to sit. You take care of and adjust the body to fit the position before the match which then won't change during the match. What I mean is a position can change during a match when the body gets more used to the position, less stiff if early in the morning etc, so take care of those changes before starting the match by stretch/warm up. Just be aware to have stretching of the lower body further away from the match to not impede on balance.

A warm up and stretching program should always be the same between training and competition. As with all types of technique, use a similar one as much as possible between different trainings/matches. That's what you have trained on, that's what you will compete with. There are always some exceptions, but it's generally speaking true. Using a similar technique is important in getting mentally ready for the match. By doing a specific set of steps you put yourself in a state of readiness and performing in the upcoming competition will be a little easier.

Personally I jog and do several movements to warm up my back and shoulders (AR). I stretch my hip a little to make sure it sits well where it's suppose to. On top of this I focus on specific part of the body depending on how I feel that day. This is done so I'm finished around 45 min prior to start (of the preparation time) but I keep moving to make sure not to get cold.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Warms up are important but as pointed out warms ups are just that, stretching is something different. You should only ever stretch after you have warmed up, otherwise you risk damage.

A brisk walk for 5 minutes is quite a good warm up, just make sure you swing your arms as well. Gentle stretches are good for arms, legs, back and neck, but need to be done carefully and correctly. Never 'bounce' your stretches just stretch, hold and relax. There are a number of stretches recommended for shooters and they differ for rifle and pistol and from source to source, I don't have any I can pass on as mine are all at home and as drawings.

Rob.