Air Pistol Velocity Importance.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Air Pistol Velocity Importance.

Post by brent375hh »

I now have a IZH 46, not M, for my backup gun. It seems that the M is the desired one to have due to the higher velocity. Why is this important?

If the answer is "lower barrel time so that it leaves the barrel faster so that it hits closer to where you were aiming last", you would think that someone would make and want lighter and higher speed ammo for FP as well.

Is it just for cleaner holes?
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think "lower barrel time so that it leaves the barrel faster so that it hits closer to where you were aiming last", is BS. But, if it sells APs.....

Cleaner hole is the answer. Just yesterday I was practicing with some crap targets that had been sitting for years in the dry desert heat. Nice holes. So, save your money to buy better targets. After all, it IS your backup gun.

RE: FP...everyone is going for lower velocity/less recoil ammo.
David M

Post by David M »

Some lower velocity or down in power airpistols have trouble with electronic targets. Pellets get stuck in the paper roll and jam up the target causing it to malfunction.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

David M wrote:Some lower velocity or down in power airpistols have trouble with electronic targets. Pellets get stuck in the paper roll and jam up the target causing it to malfunction.
That's true and more than the pellets sticking they cause tears rather than holes. That too leads to the roll jamming.

For CA guns where you can adjust the velocity, if you do the testing, you will find they have a sweet spot where the gun is the most accurate, and that tends to be at a reasonable velocity. That said I think there's a wide margin for error before the effect becomes noticeable.

And as Rover says, the lower barrel time is I think irrelevant.

Rob.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Do you know the approximate velocity threshold for this tearing, jamming?

Thanks.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Not exactly. But the FAS 604 is reputed to tear targets at 10 metres and it shoots at about 400fps. In the 'ask Pardini' thread recently I asked about maximum velocity of the K10. Got no definitive answer, but it was suggested that in the 520‘s was good. And I've heard that Europeans shoot around 550 or 560, but have nothing concrete so far to confirm that.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If your AP is set up to shoot heavy pellets at, say, 520, you will be getting 560 or better with light ones. It really doesn't seem to matter enough to concern yourself as there is no "optimum" velocity.

Most rifles shoot "hotter" (570ish) than the pistols and suffer no accuracy problems.
Last edited by Rover on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PardiniUSA

Post by PardiniUSA »

Hi guys!
The size of the group impact depends of the barrel twist, length, pellet size and velocity. The Pardini AP are factory set at 160 meter per second or 525 ft/sec with 4.49 H&N Finale Match Pistol pellets. This is not a standard, it is what we found to work best with our pistols from stand. Of course the velocity will depend of the size and weight of the pellet. Sometimes shooters prefer to adjust the velocity based on their individual results. Almost all modern pistols have this capability. As far as the targets requirement - I don't know the answer. We have always been close to the 160 m/sec and never had problems. I wish I can tell you just to buy a new AP but I am not the one who gives the money for it so I will keep quiet :)
Hope this will help.

(813) 748-3378 - Vladimir
(813) 468-7500 - Alex
(813) 361-3534 - Emil
(813) 983-9839 - Office
info@PardiniGuns.com
www.PardiniGuns.com
Join the Champions!
Good luck
luftskytter

Post by luftskytter »

From practical experience with many lowspeed APs I've found that you need about 450 fps to punch good holes in quality paper targets.
The Izzy is an example of a gun that passes this test With a small margin.

I've seen accuracy tests published on the net suggesting that there is an optimum around 525 fps, and I remember there was another optimum at a higher velocity. This was some years ago and all from memory. It matches well with the things that many manufacturers do.

OTOH my MG1E shoots about 170 m/s (567 fps) and is capable of single hole groups. But these results are from a bench/vise and shooting off hand may bring other factors into play. Guns with recoil cancellation devices should be independent of such things.....