Weight Training

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

big mouse

Weight Training

Post by big mouse »

For a new shooter, holding a pistol 1-handed at arm's length can be rather

tiring in a very short amount of time. I'd like to give some advice to a new

club member, but I am not sure what would be best. Does anyone have

any suggestions on a training program that would be specifically

helpful with regard to Bullseye shooting? A few questions to answer:

1.) If lifting a weight, how heavy should it be when starting out? Can one

that's too heavy be detrimental?

2.) Do you stay with the same weight as you continue or should one start

to use a heavier one after a period of time?

3.) How should the weight be used?

4.) Is there a daily time limit one should restrict a work-out to?

5.) Is it okay to work-out daily or should there be a day of rest between

sessions?

The above questions are just a few to get the conversation started.

Perhaps there are others that I failed to ask. Please feel free to offer

as detailed of a training program as you care to! Thank you.
dronning

Post by dronning »

Great start with some links

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/stamina.htm My program is a modified version of this one.

http://www.pilkguns.com/c2.shtml I do the figure eight exercise - maybe 10 times a day (I'm retired), whenever I walk by the 5lb weights that sit by the TV or during commercials when I'm watching the tube.

http://www.usashooting.org/library/Inst ... e_2011.pdf

Depending on exercises some every day some every other.
Use the weight that is right for you - yes you can over do it. Start with 2 1/2 to 5 lbs. You should "feel it" but be able to do 10 reps. without pain. I am up to 15-30lb weights for my every other day strength exercises, but I still use 5lb for my figure eights.
motorcycle_dan

Re: Weight Training

Post by motorcycle_dan »

big mouse wrote:For a new shooter, holding a pistol 1-handed at arm's length can be rather

tiring in a very short amount of time.
I attribute much of my shooting scores to working out. I talked to my doctor and got a referral to a physical therapist. They run the wellness and rehabilitation clinic. They worked out a plan for me using many of the strength training machines. Lighter weight, do 15~20 per set. 2 sets with 20-30 second rest in between. If you can easily do 20 on the second set, up the weight. If you can not get 15 on the second set, drop weight. Work core muscles doing some stability routines on a Bo Sue ball.

The key here, Work with a physical therapist. I ended up teaching a couple of them to shoot. One even joined the league. Teach them what muscles I need to shoot well and they worked out a program for me.
Peter B

Ok

Post by Peter B »

When ever shooters talk about weight training I can't help to think back on a match years ago where I shot next to this little lady who arms were not as big as my wrist. It was the first target of 45 slow fire and as we went down range to score, I feeling cocky with my chest sticking out because I shot a 95. That feeling quickly went away when I scored her 97. It is not the size of the dog in the fight.
Misny

Post by Misny »

If you're like most of us, and on a tight budget, I suggest an old gallon milk jug, a length of twine and a piece of old broom handle. Tie the length of twine, which has been cut to the length of your shoulder height to the floor, to the handle of the milk jug. Staple (You do have a staple gun, right?) the other end of the twine to the 12" piece of broom handle. Now put some water in the milk jug. You will have to decide by trial and error how much water to add. Place the jug on the floor and while holding your hands out at arms length, with your arms parallel to the floor roll up the jug by twisting your hands in a forward motion, all the time keeping your arms parallel to the floor. Once you have rolled the jug up to the broom handle, slowly lower the jug to the floor, one turn at a time until it comes to rest on the floor again.

We aren't done yet. After you rest a while, hold the same milk jug, as you would a bullseye pistol, out at arms length, and this is very important, aim it at an object at a distance. This develops the fine motor skills. Try to hold it on the spot for about a minute. Rest and repeat.

Of course these exercises should be done in conjunction with aerobic work, like walking, etc.

Another important thing that most bullseye pistol shooters should do regularly, is stretch the hand, forearm and shoulder. Keeping the arm and hand stretched out will prevent the onset of "shooter's elbow".
motorcycle_dan

weight training

Post by motorcycle_dan »

Misny wrote:"shooter's elbow".
I really suffered with this during my chase for leg points and shooting the ball gun a lot. At one point it was so bad I couldn't hold a coffee cup or open a door knob. I started shooting left handed. A couple weeks of practice and one match I was within a few points of my average. Luckily the elbow was on the mend, physical therapy and one of the bands to bind the tendons helped. I was surprised my left hand could learn as fast as it did. The weight on a rope is a good exercise for grip strength. It does not have to be much weight. 3~5lb would be plenty. A pair of bicycle handle-bar grips make it a bit easier on your skin. Or you can buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Amber-Sporting-Go ... d_sbs_sg_4
I have many different gizmo's for grip strength. Gyro ball works but don't try to get it through TSA security unless you want to spend some time in a small room. Don't ask....
Dave C.

Post by Dave C. »

Dry fire with an old magazine filled with lead.

Dave C.
Tab812

Post by Tab812 »

In addition to weight training, I also took a ten pound dumbbell and set it in the bathroom.
Any time I go into the bathroom, before I leave I pick up the dumbbell and hold it like my pistol in my shooting stance for 1 minute.
Took a lot of heat from the wife but it really up'd my game.

I also dry fire a lot with a 4 lbs runners leg weight strapped onto my wrist.

Combined these have really improved my hold, over the past six months.
mparker

Post by mparker »

Whatever weight program you decide to do, DO NOT do it every day. I do a series of exercises with 5lb weights (lifts, curls, etc) that began with a cardiac rehab program but it seems to help my shooting. I do 5 exercises, 10-12 reps each, then repeat. You may build a bit of extra muscle but endurance is the goal . . . right?

The reason to do it ONLY every other day is that weights cause micro-tears in your muscles that need to heal between sessions. If you do weights for both arms and legs then everyday would be OK. Legs one day arms the next.
jabberwo

Post by jabberwo »

Google "throwers ten". The best shoulder strengthening exercises out there. Not that we are lifting heavy weighs, but over all balanced strength will keep a shooter from hurting themselves with repetitive motion. Core exercises are also important, the AMU web site has some pointers there.

-= Jab
Zeus560

Training for Shooting

Post by Zeus560 »

This link may provide you with some answers I know people who have used these programs who say they were a great foundation. Use this link to register and then you will get access to the Training DVD's

http://totalee.com.au/other-sports-athletes-login
Outthere

Post by Outthere »

I would have that person check with their Doctor first to make sure they don't have any underlying conditions they may not be aware of.

Than start with a general fitness program at first.
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

I ran across this website while researching shooters elbow: http://www.nismat.org/patients/injury-e ... condylitis

Just need to add some shoulder exercises.

There is a slender woman in her early sixties that shoots in the area who can stick a scoped 45 out there and run near or at the front. Very impressive to see.