Confusion over Ammo - Morini 84E Free Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Anupam

Post by Anupam »

Guys,
I have just got the Morini Free Pistol and the test card with the best group says - Lapua Midas ammo.

Now Lapua Midas ammo comes in Midas +, Midas M and Midas L !

I need to import the ammo for match use.

Which one should it be ?

Thanks for the help !!

Regards,
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

Best advice is to test many different brands in your pistol, as I found Eley Sport has a much smaller group than the Eley Tenex batch that was tested with my free pistol.

Sometimes you dont even need to spend a lot to get small tight groups too!!!

Cheers

Brad
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I would not worry too much about whether the test ammunition was Midas+. L. or M. The test is not meant to show you what brand, grade, or batch, of ammunition shoots best in your barrel. The test is there to prove that the pistol functions properly and meets the factory standard for accuracy.

.22 barrels can be quite sensitive to ammunition. Just because your pistol shot a good test group at the factory with Lapua, it does not mean that it will shoot well with another batch of Lapua.

To get the best accuracy you need to test fire different brands of ammunition. If you buy ammunition without testing (essentially a random choice), it may work well, but it is not guaranteed to do so. Top level shooters will even test different production lots.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Just pick any reasonable ammo, it really makes no difference for free pistol. When you start shooting good scores then perhaps consider testing some different brands. I found the feeling of the ammo was more useful than anything else as some can be quite harsh in recoil, others softer. I prefer lapua than eley in that regard but I've never noticed any difference in accuracy.

Rob.
BEA

Morini

Post by BEA »

I am with Rob. Any standard velocity ammo will get you going. The groups provided by the factory are part of their quality control and marketing process. They simply test different ammo until they get a good group and then pack the gun up. Other than that, the test group and ammo type used are pretty much meaningless to the end user.
DanielSwe

Post by DanielSwe »

If it goes bang use it!
My personal record is 561 and that was with Norma2. I've shot some into the 50's with CCI standard. Pretty cheap ammo, but when I feel those good shots they're in the ten ring!
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

According to the late, great Don Nygord..."there are very few people in the world that can take advantage of the slightly better accuracy using the most expensive match ammo. "
Peter B

Post by Peter B »

I've had some types of ammo that gets stuck in the chamber of my Morini. In a match it can be distracting.
Spencer

Re: 22

Post by Spencer »

Peter B wrote:I've had some types of ammo that gets stuck in the chamber of my Morini. In a match it can be distracting.
Geco?
Anupam

Post by Anupam »

Any views on Lapua Pistol King and Eley Tenex ? I am only asking for use in competitions for the FP !

Pardon my asking, but here in India, we don't have much choice except 3-4 brands - Lapua SK Magazine, Lapua Pistol King, Lapua Midas M, and Eley Tenex. These are available only for match practice in lots of 70-100 each time. Therefore they need to be imported if one can narrow down to a particular brand for consistency ! While accuracy is paramount, price per ctg is definitely a factor of consideration.

Regards,
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

Lapua Pistol King groups much better than the other brands mentioned in my 50m pistol.

Best advise is to try 100 of each brand avilable and make your own decision!

Cheers
Brad
j-team

Post by j-team »

brakarzac wrote:Lapua Pistol King groups much better than the other brands mentioned in my 50m pistol.

Best advise is to try 100 of each brand avilable and make your own decision!

Cheers
Brad
Same for me. Lapua Pistol King has given best groups with the FPs that I have tested. Normally about 12mm 10 shot groups (machine rest).
Anupam

Post by Anupam »

That shows an interesting fact :
Lapua Pistol King is a SLOW round at 935 fps, and it is working better... !!

Eley Match Pistol (spl for FP)
Muzzle velocity = 1000 fps / 305 mps
Bullet weight = 2.59 gms / 40 gr

Eley Tenex Pistol
Muzzle velocity = 1030 fps / 314 mps

Lapua Midas +
Muzzle velocity = 1073 fps / 327 mps

Lapua Pistol King
Muzzle velocity = 935 fps / 285 mps
Anupam

Re: 22

Post by Anupam »

Peter B wrote:I've had some types of ammo that gets stuck in the chamber of my Morini. In a match it can be distracting.
Can you name the brands, for the benefit of all... !
Thanks,
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Before getting my Toz, I used to borrow a Morini. I could not use CCI in it as the fired shell used to stay stuck in the chamber 1 out of 3 shots. I generally had to poke them out using the cleaning rod.
Another member in out club has a Toz which he cannot close when using CCI. He has changed to Fiocchi (Mexican/US made) and now has no problems.
I think I can recall some years back a thread which said CCI cases were a fraction wider diameter than most other brands.
Having said all that, I found that the scores I shot with CCI were better than I shoot nowdays (or has that got something to do with age and my general decline?)
David M

Post by David M »

This has been covered before, European .22 is a different (smaller) spec than US SAAMI.
To use all ammo in a Morini with no problems run a American Match grade reamer in the chamber.
The larger chamber in a Free Pistol does not appear to effect the group size. I have not been able to measure any loss of performance just the loss of a very tight chamber and extraction problems.
SJung

Post by SJung »

It doesn’t matter what ammo you use as long as it is consistent. Most of the ammo will group well within your hold. I have shot many 50+ and 60s with SK mag I just use to shoot and go with the feel, though right now the SK mag that is available in India is not consistent.
Anyways with the amount of ammo we can import in India there is no point of going to the factories and test the ammo. Just import whatever is decent and cheap.
Anupam

Post by Anupam »

Thanks... guess will make do with the SK Mag and report its performance... !