Bill Earnest Cheekpiece adj

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mgdietrich

Bill Earnest Cheekpiece adj

Post by mgdietrich »

I have a copy of Bill's catalog, but the picture is hard to see.

Does his cheekpiece adjuster work like the Ahg aluminum stocks? Up/down, it can move cheekpiece in out with screws- but can the cheekpiece be tipped or rotated maybe is better term?

Thanks- thinking of using in a prone stock instead of High-power hardware with a thumbwheel.
Bill Burkert

ESP cheek piece

Post by Bill Burkert »

Why not call Bill Earnest directly? His number is 570-797-4872.

Bill Burkert
xnoncents

Post by xnoncents »

If it is the pre-Precise Anschutz design knock-off then it is the same as mine. It is not really rotation adjustable in all axisis., but enough so for most people in the ways that matter. ividual riser posts can be differentially adjusted to allow a cant, and the wood cheek piece itself can also be differentially adjusted a few degrees left/right.to give the effect of some rotation..

That being said, there are some things lacking in that system . One, it is a slow system to adjust, you need to remove it to get to the screws on the underside of the wood part. This can be a multistep process until you get the setup you want. Two, it is not adjustable in postion. Three, it lacks much in the way of indexing marks if you need to remove it and change adjustment and then restore. Careful pencil/marker marks can help. These traits were identical to the generation of Anschutz he copied.

Lastly, I did not find his setup super solid. The pins that are pressed in to the adjustment pillars have to be loose enough to allow the differential adjutment, but tight enough to prevent rocking when everything is torqued down (a delicate balancing act). Neither the cheek piece pillars or the butt piece pillars (essentially identical) I have are free from play. To be fair he may have since fixed these difficiencies ,and probably the net effect on accuracy is negligible but since I experienced these problems out of the box new, I decline to try any more of his stuff.