Matchguns MG2 trigger adjustments

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Beevo

Matchguns MG2 trigger adjustments

Post by Beevo »

As I tinkered with my recently acquired, but used, MG2 I found the previous setup of the trigger a bit worriesome. I have not really checked weights yet but the travel settings of each stage are what I am experimenting with.
After a first clean and reassembly I noted there was virtually zero release stage travel. It looked as if the very point of the secondary release lever (2059) was resting on the point of the release lever(2044). Whilst I could not say this was the position before disassembly, it seemed too close for comfort and I feared it would go off accidentally. So I increased travel a bit.
There was little, if any dead travel and not much over travel to the trigger stop.

My first question is, what are typical settings for owners out there? What setup procedures do you follow? I know preference is everything but I need a good neutral point to develop from as a relative novice.

Also... After cleaning there was a little oil on/between these two levers where before they seemed dry. I noticed the release lever beginning to move under spring tension during "dead travel" when cocked. Could this just be insufficient friction due to oil and so, should I try to completely remove all oil here?

Thirdly, when setting for 1kg ISSF trigger weight, which spring should be adjusted to take this load?, dead travel force or release force?

Thanks
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

Ok, so I have found a similar general thread elsewhere in the forum on 1st and 2nd stage trigger weights. So that helps a lot, but I feel some of the posts there are misleading. I gather that the total release force/weight (at which point the pistol fires) is cumulative or the sum of 1 and 2. Assuming for .22 a 1000g minimum without firing (ISSF minimum) then a figure >1000g (let's say 1001g for argument) is achieved by some ratio between the two. If approx 50/50 ratio then 1st stage opposing tension would be 500g and the second ADDS another 501g giving the total trigger weight of 1001g. Thus 500/501 ratio. The 2nd stage must feel an increase regardless of ratio unless you go for a single pull of 1001/zero (ie. no second stage) So personal preference may make a lighter 1st stage and add more 2nd or, conversely, the bulk of pull force in 1st stage to the brink of 2nd stage hold and then add the final few grams to fire.
I get that... Now to sort the travel issue...