PELLET WEIGHT

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
QUICKBRICK

PELLET WEIGHT

Post by QUICKBRICK »

I have been using 7.0gr R10 pellets in both my Morini 162e and Steyr lp2 but I have never tried heavier pellets. Does it make much difference?
Also has anyone tried Qiang Yuan pellets?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Probably not is the simple answer, but the only way to tell what your gun prefers is to test it, different weight and different sizes.

Rob.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It doesn't make ANY difference and it doesn't matter if it did. You can't even come close to shooting well enough to match the performance of a decent pellet.
gulliver62

Post by gulliver62 »

I did some testing in a rest of pellets in my FWB. Used different diameters and different weights. Every type of pellet (even those i considered practice) would shoot 1 hole. Some larger, some smaller, some round and some more oblong. All would put every shot in the 10 ring.

Stopped worrying too much after that, at least until I start posting a lot better scores.
rmca

Post by rmca »

If you are like me, the only way to put that tough out of your head is testing them...

Then, after you came to the same conclusion that Rob, Rover and gulliver described, you will focus on shooting again and leave worries about your equipment aside.

A few months/years from now you will feel the irresistible need to retest... Do it, arrive to the same conclusions, and focus on shooting again...

Then you find a different brand of pellets that everyone seams to praise a lot... Test them, arrive to the same conclusions, and focus on shooting again.

In the future if you are going throw a bad patch score wise, you will feel the need to test again... Test them, arrive to the same conclusions, and focus on shooting again.

Best of luck
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

After substantially modifying the compensator/air stripper of my K10 recently I wanted some reassurance that the pistol was shooting accurately - I was having a bad week in practice. So I rigged an almost stable setup with a vice on the top and clamped the gripless pistol to shoot at my 10 metre trap. This is the resulting hole after 10 shots with RWS Hobby 7gr pellets, which cost me $6/500.

I suspect the boards clamped in my workbench vise to support the Record vise holding the pistol allowed for some wiggling - my shop is on the third floor of a century-old wooden house and every footfall or door slam from the apartment below can be felt through the floor. Still not a bad group, well within the 10 ring's diameter. So I cancelled my long-overdue order for a sleeve of R10s from my local shop and bought a sleeve of Hobbys for half the price. It really doesn't seem to matter what pellet is going through a nice barrel. Going from the stock multi-hole compnsator to a more open design doesn't seem to matter either. Just the other day I changed the air stripper cone's position from about 11mm forward of the muzzle crown to about 7mm, and have seen no change in grouping since. If the front sight weren't mounted on the compensator I might just get rid of the excess metal, but making a new front sight block doesn't seem worth the effort. Maybe I'll do a vise test some day with just the bare barrel, no front sight, and see if the hole is any different... and considering how tight the groups are with my 46m my guess would be that there's no need for an air stripper.
dronning

Post by dronning »

2 runs of eight different pellets 5 shot groups.

http://www.pilkguns.com/mako.htm
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

dronning wrote:2 runs of eight different pellets 5 shot groups.

http://www.pilkguns.com/mako.htm
That page was last modified on October 15, 2006. Don't think much has changed since, pellets are pretty much made to a very high standard these days unless one is 'bargain' hunting for Crosman bulk boxes or similar. It does look like Vogel come out with significantly, consistently tighter groups than the others tested, but perhaps that's only for the particular pistol and 550fps velocity tested.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I suspect the Vogel pellets tested were made in Germany, not in Tennessee; not that I think the results would be very different.

There wasn't much comment on this post I started:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=38970

Also note the performance of the very cheap Geco (now RWS Basic) pellets.
spektr

speed

Post by spektr »

There is another thing to remember, especially those of us still shooting slow single stroke pump guns. The flight time of the pellet in the barrel. That means that lighter pellets will be less susceptible to shooter movement.
luftskytter

Post by luftskytter »

Light pellets fly faster, so they punch cleaner holes in the target.......