3p small bore position questions

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

rowdy

3p small bore position questions

Post by rowdy »

I'm starting to coach the local 4-H rifle program. I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers on this forum that I hope you all can help me with:

How do you change the elevation adjustment to get to your NPA in the kneeling position? I teach moving the belly button in prone, back foot in standing, and right and left is pivoting off the roll in kneeling. I've taught moving the butt in the shoulder for the elevation in kneeling, but I'm not sure if this is correct.

I've taught my kids to hold their NPA in prone above the target, so when they take their half breath, they are right on. Is this correct? Should they be pulling the trigger at half breath, full, or no breath?

Can the shooter turn his foot side ways and sit on it in the kneeling postion?

Some one told me that the elbow can only be a certain distance from the knee in the kneeling position, is this correct?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Breath: shoot during the natural respiratory pause (no breath held), because it is the same every time.

The foot you are sitting on in kneeling must be a 45 degree, or less, andle if you are using a kneeling roll. You may turn it completely under, and sit on the inside of the foot, if you don not use a kneeling roll. This is not the preferred method.

You must stay within 4" of the knee with your elbow, but that give lots of room to move the elbow slightly forward or back to get elevation corrections. In kneeling small changes may be made by turning the toes on the front foot.
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

To adjust elevation in kneeling you can slide the hand stop forward or back, adjust the sling length and raise/lower the butt plate.

More subtle changes are made by elbow position and sliding the forward foot further in or out.

Pat, I thought the rule is 4" max elbow over the knee, 6" max elbow behind the knee?? You have me thinking, I guess I need to go look that up to be sure. My daughter shoots a behind the knee position. I need to make sure it is legal before we go to JO in a couple weeks.
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

Ok, on the elbow knee distance...... I looked it up on ISSF. The rule is 100mm over the knee, 150mm behind the knee. Roughly 4 inches and 6 inches.
rowdy

Post by rowdy »

That makes sense, I guess you don't hold breath at the exact same point everytime that you would when you let it all out.

Thanks for the replies.