KT or MEC SLING

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bntarrw

KT or MEC SLING

Post by Bntarrw »

Hello all looking into upgrading my sons sling and would like hear some opinions on the KT A-T-L and the MEC ADJUSTABLE sling.
Has anybody had any issues with the construction and does the price difference

Tanks
tenring

Post by tenring »

This is purely my opinion.

I have not had the Kurt Thune, but have seen them and they are made very well. My friend had the A-T-L. It had a buckle that is in a very wrong place that makes is somewhat difficult to keep from touching the rifle while in prone.

I have the expensive MEC and it is great, but it will eventually start breaking before you think is should. I repaired it and it's still going, but purchased the Anschutz Swing sling for a backup. Well, its now my primary sling and I like it very well. I did have to make a modification to it as well, but it was easy and inexpensive. It can be had for $95-$120 plus shipping depending who has it. Less then the Thune and less than half of the MEC. I got mine on the higher price side from ISS as he was the only person that had it at the time.

I think the swing sling is the best bang for the buck!

If you get it I can send pics of how I made it better.

tenring
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

Hi there.
I had one of the flash MEC slings and after owning it for about 2 months the strap snapped clean through!! AND it was with the new thicker strap.It was way expensive so there are other options .To be fair my money was refunded in full.
I now have a Truttman sling.I have only just got it so not able to pass comment on its reliability.A friend has one and is very happy.
efoleyjr

Re: KT or MEC SLING

Post by efoleyjr »

Bntarrw wrote:Hello all looking into upgrading my sons sling and would like hear some opinions on the KT A-T-L and the MEC ADJUSTABLE sling.
Has anybody had any issues with the construction and does the price difference

Tanks
I have a MEC "Shootingbelt Sling Startline" that I will sell cheap.
Ed
edf@fohcinc.com
justadude

Post by justadude »

Interesting thing about slings, for all the fancy ones out there I have noted that the top prone shooters are often shooting some pretty simple leather slings, or in the case of Sergei Martynov an old canvas sling from some bygone Soviet era.

I have an older KT sling (not an ATL) that is durable beyond belief and will I am convinced survive the apocalypse. I recently switched back to a simple Anschutz "Professional" leather sling. Reason? Even after a number of years the synthetic KT material did not conform as well to the curvature of the back of my hand. (recall the back of the hand is curved more like a sphere than a cylinder)

For all the whiz bang stuff out there I find the older style leather to be much more comfortable.

Did I answer your question, well no, but that is my 2 cents on the subject.

Cheers,
'Dude
Bntarrw

Post by Bntarrw »

Dude, I certainly value your opinion!!

Thanks