CLEANING RODS 22LR, .30 cal.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

naimman

CLEANING RODS 22LR, .30 cal.

Post by naimman »

Need to purchase new rods, however there seems to be many brands/types out there. I know 1 piece is best, but which ones/brands are best for my rifles. Thanks.
joel

Post by joel »

I use the Tipton carbon fiber one piece cleaning rod. Be sure to get an insert to put in place at the breach when you take the bolt out.

Joel
naimman

Post by naimman »

Thanks.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Do not use aluminum: abrasive grit will embed in the rod and wear your barrel. Use one-piece steel (or coated) with a bore guide.
randy1952

Re: CLEANING RODS 22LR, .30 cal.

Post by randy1952 »

naimman wrote:Need to purchase new rods, however there seems to be many brands/types out there. I know 1 piece is best, but which ones/brands are best for my rifles. Thanks.
I use a Dewy brass rod or their coated nylon rod.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

I've tried the Tipton carbon rods and they are nice...never going to bend one. Only problem is the carbon can be very abrasive, is harder than steel, and will probably eventually erode the crown area of your barrel. It may not matter much on a centerfire rifle as their lifespan is measured in 1000's of bullets, but a rimfire barrel should last 10,000's of thousands of rounds and cleaning routines can affect barrel life.

Eric U
joel

Post by joel »

Eric U wrote:I've tried the Tipton carbon rods and they are nice...never going to bend one. Only problem is the carbon can be very abrasive, is harder than steel, and will probably eventually erode the crown area of your barrel. It may not matter much on a centerfire rifle as their lifespan is measured in 1000's of bullets, but a rimfire barrel should last 10,000's of thousands of rounds and cleaning routines can affect barrel life.

Eric U
Yes, good point. I usually don't push the rod out the front far enough to expose the carbon rod. Also, I inspect the rod to ensure that the clear coat is still intact on the carbon fiber and that the raw carbon is not exposed.

Joel
tenring

Post by tenring »

look for Ivy Rods on the net. I've got four of them now and they are superb!

Great People to do business with!

tenring
Mikey_P

Post by Mikey_P »

tenring wrote:look for Ivy Rods on the net. I've got four of them now and they are superb!

Great People to do business with!

tenring
+1 on the Ivy rods. And, to complete the package, a bore guide from MWerks LLC - top quality!

Mike