Lead bullet question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

GunRunner

Lead bullet question

Post by GunRunner »

Ok, i have purchased some lead swc bullets from a well known and respected source, Im finding about 1/3 of each box has bullets where the lube is missing in a spot aprox 1/8-1/4'' wide. My question is, will this cause leading, accuracy or other issues? I can run them all back thru a lube/sizer and correct it, but that is a lot of work to do if the bare spots will cause no issues. thanks
inthebeech

Post by inthebeech »

I'd cull out a handfull of those bad ones (been there myself) and shoot twenty or so of them and have a look down your barrel, if you want to know what the worst case scenario will do. In addition, let your caster know; he may do the honourable thing. Who knows.
Ed
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I wouldn't worry about them unless most of the lube fell out. Commercial bullet makers use fairly hard lube because otherwise they get sticky and customers don't like it. I personally lube all my bullets with soft lube which generally will not fall out and I find that I can get away with a lighter load and still have the same accuracy but the sticky goo lube does cause grief. It can get in the seating die and change seating depth if it builds up but hard lube is way less prone to do this. I make a point to use a seperate seating and crimping die and that helps also. Dillon dies are simple to take apart so that is a benefit also.
38HBWC

lube drop out

Post by 38HBWC »

LEE makes a liquified alox lube that is applied to their tumble lube bullets. Just save your bullets in question and relube them as instructed with the LEE bullet lube and you are good to go. What a product.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'll second the LEE lube; I use it on my elephant gun bullets with success.
gulliver62

Post by gulliver62 »

I wouldn't worry about it. I am going to surmise that the heat from the powder explosion is enough to completely liquify the lube.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

gulliver62 wrote:I wouldn't worry about it. I am going to surmise that the heat from the powder explosion is enough to completely liquify the lube.
I wouldn't worry about it either but it does not completely liquify like you would think. Our indoor range has a steel baffle just forward of the firing line and some dangerously smooth concrete. After a match you can tell the guys that are shooting the hard lube. There is 1/4 circles of lube all over the floor and stuck to the baffles and ceiling.
Scott