Walther LP400 reviews

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brakarzac

Walther LP400 reviews

Post by brakarzac »

Can anyone share their thoughts on the LP400 pistols please?
As my wife is looking at upgrading her old Morini CM162EI

Cheers
Brad
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

I have it now for about 2 weeks and I'm very impressed.

Big advantages:
-Adjustable lenght of the sights (you can adjust the rear sight position in a range of about 4cm).
-the depth of the rear sight notch can be adjusted
-very good balance
-excelent trigger
-when you remove the grip, you can see the mechanics, what makes you understand the effect of every screw you're turning
-the grip will "remind" it's position if you remove it.

Disatvantages:
-The grip is really flat, not good for every hand
-A screwdriver is needed for adjusting the rear sights (however, I thought that this is more annoying as it actually is)
jipe

Post by jipe »

It is a very good pistol, the carbon covered barrel version is really lightweight. It is a major progress compared to the previous LP300. But it is unfortunately also a great progress (increase) in price !

for the rest:
Neon21 wrote:I have it now for about 2 weeks and I'm very impressed.

Big advantages:
-Adjustable lenght of the sights (you can adjust the rear sight position in a range of about 4cm).
-the depth of the rear sight notch can be adjusted
-very good balance
-excelent trigger
-when you remove the grip, you can see the mechanics, what makes you understand the effect of every screw you're turning
-the grip will "remind" it's position if you remove it.
Most of these features are available on several other high end pistols starting with the Steyr LP10. The new Pardini K12 also "expose"its trigger mechanism.
Neon21 wrote:Disatvantages:
-The grip is really flat, not good for every hand
-A screwdriver is needed for adjusting the rear sights (however, I thought that this is more annoying as it actually is)
These are problem only found on the LP400. For the grip problem you can easily solve it by buying a grip less pistol and purchase a Rink grip. Note that the grip of the LP400 is different from the grip of the LP300 and you cannot mount an LP300 grip on a LP400.

Last point, another drawback: it is pretty expensive, more expensive for instance than the LP10 (take into account that the LP10 is delivered with two cylinders while the LP40 is delivered with only one).
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

with the LP400 you get a coupon for a second cylinder (after 10 years), so if you keep it, you don't have to buy a new cylinder..

The LP10 has other disadvantages, but the Steyrhype makes everything fine..
scerir

Post by scerir »

Just a question. Does the LP400 have those barrel vents to steady the weapon when shot is released? Apparently not. But it is possible that those vents are there, but they are hidden by the barrel casing. (I'm asking this because the LP400 releases the shot smoothly, and the absorber cannot do this job alone). s.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

According to Walther's publications, the LP400 has no barrel vents. The absorber and the comp seem to be enough.
Funny Farmer

Post by Funny Farmer »

the grip will "remind" it's position if you remove it.
A short question about this. Will the grip also allow me to return to a position after altering it? With my Steyr I can e.g. increase the angle by screwing out the screws on one side by half a revolution. If I thenfeel I need to undo, I just screw them back in and have the original position back.
Avery

Post by Avery »

A short question about this. Will the grip also allow me to return to a position after altering it? With my Steyr I can e.g. increase the angle by screwing out the screws on one side by half a revolution. If I thenfeel I need to undo, I just screw them back in and have the original position back.
No
flolo

Post by flolo »

Some hints:

- The levers in the trigger assembly were fixed too tight, so trigger was very inconsistent. The " barrels" which fix them needed to be moved a little outward to avoid this. So you have to get a very small allen wrench( 0.7, iirc).
- on the first models you couldn't get below 100 g on the second stage, they now put in a spring that looks like a bent paperclip, and also replaced the 2nd stage spring to fix this.
- i have some pellets here for testing every pistol i can come across in a vise.
Whereas every other pistol i tried ( morini, lp10, lp10 e) gets best results with the heavier pellets, the walther grouped best with the lighter ones( jsb green and r10). So it seems that the smaller barrel diameter of 8 mm ( versus 12 on the others) has an impact here. Don't get me wrong: with the right ammo you get really small groups, it just seems to be built for the lighter variety.
- reflections on the front sight: does anyone know, if they fixed this?
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

jipe wrote:It is a very good pistol, the carbon covered barrel version is really lightweight. It is a major progress compared to the previous LP300. But it is unfortunately also a great progress (increase) in price !

Last point, another drawback: it is pretty expensive, more expensive for instance than the LP10 (take into account that the LP10 is delivered with two cylinders while the LP40 is delivered with only one).
Although in Australia, the LP10 is $850 more expensive than the LP400 and the LP10E is $950 more than the LP400

We are being ripped off with Morini and Steyr in Australia

Cheers
Brad
conradin

Post by conradin »

Out of curiosity, what is the reason your wife want to upgrade from the Morini to the Walther? Morini is still very much competitive, while Walther is still a question mark.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

conradin wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the reason your wife want to upgrade from the Morini to the Walther? Morini is still very much competitive, while Walther is still a question mark.
The wife has plateaued with her Morini.
I will be keeping mine, but she is just looking for something different.

Another option that has been mention is the FWB P44

Cheers
Brad
conradin

Post by conradin »

Do you think this is typical for female shooters? I have noticed that in the Olympics women tend to use various brands, while men usually are stuck with Steyr.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

conradin wrote:Do you think this is typical for female shooters? I have noticed that in the Olympics women tend to use various brands, while men usually are stuck with Steyr.
I have seen a few ladies change brands, but most are happy with the Morini or Steyr

Cheers
Brad
Rover

Post by Rover »

I have closely examined the 400 and it's a very nice gun. That said, I would instantly choose the Morini.

How will your wife feel if her plateau goes the wrong way? Mechanical trigger VS electric?

But, if she just wants a new toy with no expectations, that's fine.
scerir

Post by scerir »

It seems that here in Italy the LP400 does not have that compensator (air stripper) cone, with all those little holes (see attachment). It is strange, but it is so! :-)
Attachments
walther lp400.jpg
walther lp400.jpg (3.88 KiB) Viewed 10202 times
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

EDIT: this statement is not true, see my statement on next page

I've never seen the Alu version with the little holes..

that's how it looks like:

these little holes are only at the Carbon one:
Last edited by Neon21 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
scerir

Post by scerir »

[quote="Neon21"] these little holes are only at the Carbon one quote]

Many thanks. Good to know that. But even the "carbon", here in Italy, does non have the little holes! s.
David M

Post by David M »

I have a new Carbon LP400 and it has the cone fitted.
Nice pistol, even lighter than my old Morini short, better
on my poor shoulder.
jipe

Post by jipe »

It is very strange: I have seen both alu and carbon versions with and without the 8 holes compensator. Don't know why some pistols have it while others don't ?