LP 50 and similiar owners

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Red-feather

LP 50 and similiar owners

Post by Red-feather »

A few questions:
1) do you have any malfuntions with your pistol...?(does it require adjustment/maintenance..??)

2) what kind of shooting do you use it for..? Competing, plinkink, rapid fire practice..

3) as compared to a single shot...do you feel its accuracy is different...(shot with the single shot magazine..compared to a dedicated single shot pistol..?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

With my LP50e:
1) No malfunctions, but yes, it needs maintenance, but that's the e-trigger. Mechanically, the pistol is perfect
2) Single shot and rapid fire AP
3) No, a 10 is a 10, it groups as well as any LP10 I've seen
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have the mechanical version, which I got with the heavy trigger to practice sustained fire for the .22. It has never given me any problems, and I regularly shoot targets that are every bit as good as with my Morini 162EI. I haven't fired it on a rest, but the factory test target is one ragged hole, barely larger than a single pellet.
montster

Expereince with LP6 and Bruno 99

Post by montster »

Have been through three 5 shot air pistols. Twinmaster was the first. Didnt like the feel, weight etc. Long trigger pull like a revolver. Good trainer for revolver. Not a bad pistol but not what I wanted for sustain and rapid fire practice.

LP5 (air not co2) had great trigger but trigger was not staying put and was too light for standard pistol practice. Had to readjust trigger a few times. Accurate as my single shot morini 163m. Though the indexing speed and trigger reset was not as fast as I liked. Lost interested in using it for bullseye practice. Sold it. Regretted it. Then bought a a bruno 98 or 99 not exactly sure.

Bruno (air) mechanism advancing the pellet is smoother than the LP5 but the trigger is not so smooth. I have adjusted to highest trigger pull and placed a red dot on it. Again it is for bullseye practice. The creep/roll of the trigger is more than my 1911 but being smooth it is not disruptive.

My live fire practice opportunity is getting scarce lately so 10 meter garage shooting sessions with this pistol is helping me a lot for sustained and rapid fire. Helps me work on breathing and smoothing out the 5 shot process. I shoot 10 meter distance with a 10 meter air rifle target to better represent the 25 meter target.

With ammo shortage the 5 shot air pistols ought to be in high demand as they are good practice alternative to live fire. Save on gas and ammo too.
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

we have a LP50 as club gun.
It's a nice thing and we are shooting a special disciplin that's nearly equal to rapid fire (only the 5 targets have to be hit in 10 seconds and every shot in the black area counts, if it's a 7,0 or a 10,9 is not relevant).

the difference to single shot:
-needs more air, so less shots with one filling
-accurancy is not as good as the LP10, that's physically and technically not possible. But don't think that you can't shoot 10s with it..

1)no, and we never clean it..
2)Competition "AP RF"
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

The factory group of my LP50e (short!) is about 6.5mm, enclosed...
Crete

Post by Crete »

I have shot the LP50 (mechanical trigger, standard long version), side by side with a LP10 and my FWB C5 C02.

The LP10 and LP50 are similar but the balance is different and the LP10 shoots 10Xs all day long, while the LP50m needs a lot more concentration from the shooter.

Compared to the Feinwerkbau C5, the LP50 seemed too large and not as easy to steady for rapid fire. Also, the LP50 shoots 100 pellets per fill while the C5 runs out of C02 gas only after 200+ pellets.

The price is another factor as a used FWB C5 can be found at half the price of a LP5 and liquid C02 filling is also cheaper than High Pressure Air, per volume and number of shots obtained.

I use my C5 for Standard Pistol practice @ 33 feet using an air rifle 10m target to simulate the Standard Pistol's 25m distance.

FWB C5 (pictured)

jipe

Post by jipe »

The current 5 shots FWB model is the P58 but it is seldom seen.

FWB got a very bad reputation for 5 shots models with the old P55 and since then couldn't really come back on the market.
Crete

Post by Crete »

Perhaps. The C5 shoots without any issues.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

The LP10 and LP50 are similar but the balance is different and the LP10 shoots 10Xs all day long, while the LP50m needs a lot more concentration from the shooter
M experience is exactly the other way round. The LP10 will shoot an 8 at the slightest provocation, while the same mistake will still be a 9 with the LP50...
shadow

Post by shadow »

This is a question for Crete: what trigger do you have on that air pistol?
jipe

Post by jipe »

Crete wrote:Perhaps. The C5 shoots without any issues.
Yes, there were no issues with your CO2 5 shots.

But the LP55 had a lot of problems and ruined the reputation of FWB for 5 shot pistols. As far as I know, the issues were fixed on the last P55 and then there were no major issues with the P56. I never heard of problems with the P58.

But the FWB sales of 5 shots couldn't recover after the failure of the P55.

There were also two other points negative for FWB:
- the P56 was much more expensive than the LP50.
- the huge success of the LP10 helped the LP50 as both pistols give similar feelings so that it is logical for a LP10 shooter to choose the LP50 as 5 shots pistol.

A now the LP50 is a kind of de facto standard for 5 shots air pistols.
kanedal

Post by kanedal »

shadow wrote:This is a question for Crete: what trigger do you have on that air pistol?
Looks to be a trigger from tech-hro.
http://tec-hro.de/schiesssport/de/

Have one my self, but it is a bit too narrow in the trigger area that contacts the finger. Makes the trigger feel heavier than it is. Nice adjustments on it.
Crete

Post by Crete »

It suits me fine as I have one installed in the Mod. 2 and get the same feeling, which may be of help.

The LP50 I shot was just out of the box and felt somewhat awkward at first. I will get another chance to shoot it again soon (it belongs to a friend and I can borrow it anytime). In contrast the LP10 had been run-in, so to speak, being a 10 year old model and is a superb shooter with the same as my C5 TEC-HRO trigger installed, that the LP50 didn't (it had the standard STEYR one).

Also, I wonder if Match PCP air pistols settle in after a while of use.

Finally, the pellets I used (JSB Match 4.49mm - green lid), may were suitable for the LP10 and not the pellet of choice of the LP50.

There are so many factors getting in the way that first impressions and comparisons can be often deceptive.
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

Yesterday we had a tournament of AP-RF with about 20 shooters.
90% were using LP50 (short and normal).

No malfunctions occured.
Crete

Post by Crete »

Any idea what were the brands in the remaining 10%?
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

the other 10% used FWB C55 (CO2) and P56 and Steyr LP5.
I didn't see the new FWB 58..

today evening, there is another tournament in our club.
I'll try to count and speak with the people about their experiences.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Forgot to say that there is a major difference between the LP50 and P58: the P58 has still no recoil absorber.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

The LP50 doesn't have one, either, but the moving slide compensates almost all the pistol's movement, like it did in the LP5. It's only the mag moving sideways that is noticeable during follow-through.
John C

Post by John C »

What was the issue with FWB P55? I've seen several posts that obliquely reference that these pistols were crap. Why is that?

The reason I ask is that there is a P55 for sale around here, and I'm half tempted to get it. I have a C55, and it's awesome, but I can't shoot it in my garage in the wintertime. It's too cold to function.

Thanks,

-John