You know what's bad for pistol accuracy....?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

toddinjax

You know what's bad for pistol accuracy....?

Post by toddinjax »

Getting laid off from your job evidently has quite a negative effect! Not that I was any champion, but boy did I take a nose dive for several weeks. I've kept at it (it's been 3 weeks) and did not allow myself to get frustated. I'm kind of proud of that, cause there was plenty of ingredient for frustration. In the last 3 or 4 days I'm finally settling down a bit, and have improved dramatically and have been shooting as well or better than before. I read, most probably on this sight, a high level shooter say (paraphrasing) ..."when you're having an off day, forgot your glasses, malfunction..don't stop shooting or go home, you need to learn to concentrate and perform in less than ideal circumstances". That's what I did, even at my amateur level I'm seeing benefits.
End of rant, thanks for listening. todd
fast shooter

Post by fast shooter »

I agree. About three years ago our parent company wanted and did move about 80% of our manufacturing plant to Mexico. My operation was one moved. Every month for about a year I got a 90 day notice of termanation. My scores plumeted an I did not attend matches for some time. Luckily I was kept on in another department, and scores got somewhat better.
Cobbslane

Post by Cobbslane »

Getting laid off is a bum situation and like anything else that challenges your security it will have an effect on your shooting just as much as the rest of your life. After all as Maslow's Theory suggests your security is your most basic natural instinctive concern.
However, as you have found - it does not need to be all bad. The most important thing is to structure those free days before your next job starts. From a shooting aspect, put a regular amount of time aside for practise each day. If you can 1 - 3hrs covering those excercises suggested elsewhere on this Forum for your particular discipline. Weights, fitness, mental relaxation, dry firing and of course shooting itself. Having planned your time like that it may reduce the guilt that some feel when they 'should be' seeking work and will allow better concentration on your shooting rather than the worry that comes with the rest of life.
Good luck in your next job - it will most probably be better than the last!
Gerry