Stage 1 & 2 trigger weight differences?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
cpe

2nd stage weight tweaking

Post by cpe »

I took the guidance I read in this thread and decided to try a heavy first stage and lighter second stage and it did not work at first since I kept pulling through the 2nd stage.

However, I at least did not have as many problems jerking the trigger with shots flying off target into the white, but kept finding myself surprised by shots at times. 2 things came of this. #1) I learned to focus on trigger squeeze and temporarily stopping jerking the trigger and the flyers went away (mostly). #2) after lots or practice (maybe a thousand rounds) I got used to feeling the light 2nd stage (it now feels heavy) and now I am starting to jerk the trigger again at times.

#1 has been mostly a good thing. #2 has been an improvement since now if I jerk the trigger with the light 2nd stage, I get an 8 instead of a 6 or 7 with a center hold, since there is less weight in the second stage to move the line of sight. I may try shifting the 2nd stage weight down a bit more (currently about 330/200), but I think there is a point where I will irrevocably lose the 2nd stage feel but I dont know where that practical physiologic limit is located for me, but it clearly can be trained to go lower from my experience.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

I also tried this last night, I had been shooting single stage on my IZH-46m and was getting trigger steering in my shots. I read the .pdf linked elsewhere that explained the unconscious shot process as it related to a two-stage trigger, and it made sense to me. (take up the first stage, focus on your aim, let your unconscious break the 2nd stage while you are entirely focused on hold and aim.)

This did produce immediate improvement in my shots until fatigue set in. However, a question:

Is there a way to adjust the second stage weight on an IZH? As it is, it seems that most of the weight is in the first stage, and the sear/release is almost imperceptible. The second stage acts more as a roll through than a break, and twiddling with the screws doesn't seem to effect it axcept in length of stages and overtravel.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Houngan wrote:I read the .pdf linked elsewhere that explained the unconscious shot process as it related to a two-stage trigger, and it made sense to me. (take up the first stage, focus on your aim, let your unconscious break the 2nd stage while you are entirely focused on hold and aim.)
A belated post (as usual) but I am most interested in the pros and cons of the two stage trigger. I have them on some of my pistols and my .22 rifle but have single stage on my GSPs and am considering switching the GSPs to 2-stage.

Please can you direct me to the referenced .pdf Houngan?

Thanks,

Bob
conradin

Post by conradin »

I'm at 425/75. Its almost like cheating because you cannot really feel the last 75, hence it feels as if it is a lower trigger weight. Previously I did 375/125, and before that 325/175. Essentially I am giving less and less second stage.

There is no rules about it. Either way my scores suck. I am not at the level where weight distribution REALLY matter yet.