upgrading from Walther LP300 club to .. reasonable?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Neon21

upgrading from Walther LP300 club to .. reasonable?

Post by Neon21 »

Hello All,

I'm just wondering if it would make sence to sell my "beginners AP" Walther LP300 club -which, no doubt, is a better shooter than I am- and buy a "experts" pistol.
(My LP300 has e.g. no recoil buffer (is that the right word?))

Since the grip is not perfect, my idea was to get a custom grip from a specialized carpenter here in Germany, but before I spend $270 on a new grip, I'm wondering if I now should go for a better pistol like the LP400 or a Steyr LP10 before spending a lot of money for my LP300 and then note in 1 year that a better pistol would help me getting better results..

what's your meanings about that?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I don't know that pistol, but presence or lack of a recoil buffer won't make a whole heap of difference. I'd be tempted to stick with it but get a proper grip for it. If it works out more cost effective to sell it and buy a new or used top end pistol then that's a financial call.

Rob.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

LP300 club is certainly as capable as lp10 or lp400 in the accuracy department. the frame and mechanism is the same as the other lp300. the grip is from beech (thus lower priced) but resembles walnut and i think it is delivered with only one cylinder (again for lower price and the club oriantation). also if it was bought recently you may have the XT frame because in walther site in the downloads section for the lp300 club the exploded view is the one for lp300XT (so no need for top end gun as lp300xt is top end IMHO).

i had an older (non XT) plain version for my gf and it was a very good gun and it still has support from walther. my advice would be to get a good grip or modify your current grip. it is a step you have to take regardless of the pistol you have. no factory unmodified grip will fit you exactly.
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

ok, thanks for your inputs.
I think I'll test some expert pistols and look if there would be an advantage of the trigger, recoil and overall handling.
Since I would have to pay about $700 for the upgrade, the advantage must be noticeable.
mru

how many shots per cylinder

Post by mru »

how many shots per cylinder can you get from your walther club pistol. Do you use a hand pump? Just starting to get interested in a pcp pistol and trying to get information. Currently shooting a FWB C-10.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Neon,
As the saying goes, "You can't buy points."

You have an excellent pistol, but it would probably be worth your time upgrading (getting a better fit) your grips.

I'm guessing you're in a schuetzenverein. Find the best shooter there and have him help you fit your grips properly with putty and by grinding them.

If you buy new grips, you'll still have to do this. You may have to play with your sights and adjust your trigger position as well.

What I'm saying is: don't spend any money.
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

@mru: About 160 shots with 200bar, we have compressed air cylinders in the club.

Yeah, that's right that I can't expect more points with a more expensive gun.
However, I now tried the LP400 and I noticed that the balance is better for my hand, so I just sold my LP300 for a very good price and get a new LP400 for a good price.

I'm not expecting any miracles and I will also now go to a gripmaker here in the town who makes grips for about 50 years and let him make my personal-fit-grip :)

The LP300 is indeed a very good gun, even I now scored 372 Points within 5month of training with it.
Also in our Schützenverein a guy -maybe you know him by name- Andrija Zlatić is shooting it, so it's also ready for Olympic Games.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I have examined the LP400 and it's a very nice piece of machinery. Good luck with it. Make Andrija cry in his bier.