2010 Matchguns MG2's

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
A74BEDLM

Post by A74BEDLM »

If your looking to buy one, I have 2 for sale a MG2 and an MG2E - both with RF kits.
Not shooting anything other then AP and FP now so sat in my safe - awesome pistols.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Where could I find version information about MG2 mechanical versions? Is there light RF slide in latest version of mg2 mechanical version (sn4xxx)?
The RF slide is there if you order it. No problem with that, when I got one of mine upgraded to 3xxx standard, I just ordered the RF kit. Talk to Stefano, he'e a friendly and helpful guy, and they will go a far way to accomodate your wished.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

my mg2 is sn4xxx. manual has only one slide for both versions(standard or rf). when i emailed stefano he confirmed that i only needed the rf counterweight.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Might be that they simplified production. I have three MG2, with a total of three different slides. Even with all the service, it's still Italy ;-) Asking costs nothing.
Claude

Post by Claude »

A74BEDLM wrote:If your looking to buy one, I have 2 for sale a MG2 and an MG2E - both with RF kits.
Not shooting anything other then AP and FP now so sat in my safe - awesome pistols.
Hi,

Can you tell me:
* What if the battery for the MG2E is down, can you still fire mechanical?
* How is the dry firing working with the MG2E? Can you train RF by dry firing?

Thanks
A74BEDLM

Post by A74BEDLM »

1) no
2) yes
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

Hello everybody,

I'm searching around the internet for reports to the MG2 and it seems that here are the most MG2-Users.

Since this thread is almost 2 years old, I'd like to know if anybody can give some newer comments on the MG2.

I only heard that the early ones had problems with jams/repeating and that the mechanism is very sinsitive (means, if you don't keep it clean, it won't work properly..).
Now I recently contacted the German importer and got the information that the new ones dosn't have that problems anymore - only with some certain ammo like CCI Standard, malfunctions sometimes occure..

What's your experience till now?

greetings from Germany
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

usually anything over serial 4xxx should not give problems. i haven't shot many cci sv (only 3-4 5-shot strings that a fellow shooter kindly gave me) but it handled them ok. mine sn4xxx shoot well even low budget ammo. i only have to check the bullet is firmly seated in the case because i found many lapua pistol king bullets (and one or two sk pistol match) could rotate in their case or tilt and that gave me two jams. geko rifle and geko pistol worked fine the same as some ancient RWS R50. Eley pistol match also worked well. currently i use sk rifle match. it is cleaner than the pistol match version and the recoil i feel is the same as the sk pistol match.

you can also search the threads. there was a discussion less than two weeks ago about the mg2
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I've had a bad bunch of CCI SV last year, too - not the pistol's fault when the ammo goes ffffft instead of bang. With good lots, my MG2 take CCI SV without problems.
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

I am about three weeks away from getting my first MG2 (due to weapons licencing backlogs here).
It is a used 22xx series so a few years older. Not RF version.
I have tried to find as much info as I can but you do have to dig. Once I get mine I will do extensive testing and some vid reviews I think... just in case there are others out there attracted to this pistol. It has a few detractors but most of those comments are much older.
For my part - I have not seen a more innovative design in this type - it is art! Certainly you would expect early teething troubles compared to other designs that are basically 100 years old!
Ammo sensitive?? well I have not seen enough consistent information to make that true in a general sense. The dealer advised I should use the more expensive selections but many have had success with cheaper brands and no trouble. Some (as you will see) have had trouble with top notch ammo but no probs with low cost CCI SV etc...
We use a lot of CCI at the club with no drama in Benellis and Walther but apparently our Morini CM22 doesnt like it. I had my first three malfunctions ever yesterday with CCI in the club Walther GSP (fail to feed) until I worked the slide back and forth a bit - I think it had been cleaned and greased and the grease needed a bit of a work-through to loosen up. No prob.

I saw a Hammerli SP20 that would NOT shoot Winchester T22 more than two rounds without a jam and yet would shoot CCI and SK without missing a beat. True it had previously been repaired for other issues like a self induced full-auto mode!

As far as the MG2 is concerned... I have seen a lot of positive comment about factory support and design updates so I believe Matchguns has it sorted.
I have NEVER seen a comment saying it doesnt shoot well... most say exceptional.
It is still being used at the highest international level in Olympic and ISSF comps.