Left-handed shooters and Toz question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
adair

Left-handed shooters and Toz question

Post by adair »

Two questions I was thinking about...

1) Are there any Olympic-level left-handed shooters? I don't know if I have ever seen any in world cup finals.

2) Are left-handers at any real disadvantage using a Toz35 being that the trigger doesn't go directly straight back?

Thanks
j-team

Re: Left-handed shooters and Toz question

Post by j-team »

adair wrote:Two questions I was thinking about...

1) Are there any Olympic-level left-handed shooters? I don't know if I have ever seen any in world cup finals.

2) Are left-handers at any real disadvantage using a Toz35 being that the trigger doesn't go directly straight back?

Thanks
The trigger of a Toz isn't either handed. The shoe can be adjusted to face any way as can the direction it swings. These adjustemts can be made independent of each other. You can even turn it right around so you push it forward to fire (not reccommended!).

The only thing on a Toz that would be a slight hinderance for a lefty, is the trigger setting lever, it's on the L/H side of the pistol.
adair

Post by adair »

Correct me if this is not the case, but isn't the Toz trigger (when looking from the muzzle) canted slightly to the left and when pulled back follows a slight left-to-right path?
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

The Toz trigger is unique and truly amazing in its adjustability. The shoe is attached to a pin, and can be raised and lowered on that pin. The trigger pin rotates on a circular mount that can be turned to face the shoe any direction, through 360 degrees of rotation. You can, indeed, rotate the trigger so that it is released by pushing forward, rather than pulling back. It works fine in that configuration, but is hard to control. It also works fine facing at angles to either side of the pistol. The shoe, pin, and its carrier can also be moved along the axis of the barrel to accommodate various trigger finger lengths. Hard to adequately explain, but the trigger will handle left handers once you get the right grip. It is usually found with a grip for the right.

You might want to peruse the 10P files Scott hosts for us at http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/default.htm
adair

Post by adair »

Interesting, I did not realize that before. Thank you both for the info!
J.Hoes

Post by J.Hoes »

I am left handed, shot a TOZ for a couple of years, late nineties.

The construction of loading lever and cocking lever makes the grip asymmetrical to the left.
I used the factory hand grip, which was bulky on the left side. Had to use a trigger shoe with 17mm offset to the left.
Could never really tighten the palm rest, the nut was fixed to the grip's wood.

I started a different approach: to construct a metal reinforced grip.
Took too much time. Sold the TOZ, bough a second hand Hammerli, later a Morini

In short: did some good shooting with TOZ, did not like the grip, did not like the off set trigger shoe.

Greetings Hans.
6string

Post by 6string »

I'd second the experiences mentioned by Hans.

Hämmerli is the only company that comes to mind that actually took the trouble to build specifically left hand free pistols. That is, with properly designed grips, and a set trigger lever on the right side. The receiver itself was actually specially constructed for this set trigger mechanism.

Jim
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Shot a TOZ left handed back in the late 90s. Never had any issues, built myself a new grip from a Morini stock, good trigger reach. But the grip has a few holes in it, so it might not be possible for everyone to get a good fit. What could be a problem - for higher trigger weights, it's recommended to keep the trigger pulled while cocking the mechanism, and that doesn't really work left handed...
Rob

Post by Rob »

I got these grips from another lefty that was good! I have Morini grips, but never liked them.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Here is the other side. I think they were made by Vitbarbo. The Morini's are a lot more thicker.