Reporting the results of airgun finals

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
SMC

Reporting the results of airgun finals

Post by SMC »

USA Shooting just reported the shooting results from the annual Bavarian Airgun Championships in Munich Germany last week. I am confused by the reporting of finals scores for the two American shooters, Will Brown and Brian Beaman.

Will Brown went to finals twice and they reported 10 shots for his first finals but only 8 shots for his second finals match. Brian Beaman went to finals once and again, they only reported the results of 8 shots.

I took a 15 year break from shooting and have just returned to the sport so I may just be out of touch with how finals are reported. Can you help me understand why only 8 shots were reported?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Steve
rmca

Post by rmca »

The rules that came out changed the finals format.
All eight shooters start at zero points.
Then there are two strings of 3 shots in 150seg.
After that they start shooting single shoots in 50 seg.
After the 8th shoot (3+3+1+1) the last position goes out.
Two more shoots (3+3+1+1+1+1) and you have 7th place.
And so on until you have just two left.
Two more shoots and you have the winner and the second place.

This is for air pistol and air rifle.
SMC

Post by SMC »

Thanks. I need to read up on the new rules. I appreciate the rapid reply.

Steve
rmca

Post by rmca »

You can download the rules here:

http://www.issf-sports.org/theissf/rule ... ebook.ashx

If you just shoot pistol there isn't much change apart from the final, some silly safety flags and now you have a separate 15 minute preparation and sighting time, were you can shoot before the match. Then you have 1h30m to complete the 60 match shoots.

Now if you also shoot rifle, sit down, take a deeeeeep breath and start reading :)

Welcome back!
SMC

Post by SMC »

Thanks. Fortunately, I just shoot pistol events.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

rmca wrote:The rules that came out changed the finals format.
All eight shooters start at zero points.
Then there are two strings of 3 shots in 150seg.
After that they start shooting single shoots in 50 seg.
After the 8th shoot (3+3+1+1) the last position goes out.
Two more shoots (3+3+1+1+1+1) and you have 7th place.
And so on until you have just two left.
Two more shoots and you have the winner and the second place.

This is for air pistol and air rifle.
This strikes me as a strange and flawed procedure. You've only got 8 shooters - why not let them all finish the final? Anything can happen,... unless you eliminate the possibility of allowing things to happen. I know I saw a ISSF video a while back where the #1 placed shooter dropped down 3 or 4 places on her last shot.
conradin

Post by conradin »

That means one of them finished 7th and 8th, the other finished 8th.
rmca

Post by rmca »

toddinjax,

The last match I was in, last 19/20th Jan, had a final according to the new rules. I can honestly say that it was the most exciting final I've watched.
All shooters shoot eight shoots before the last position is eliminated, that's almost a complete final by the old rules. If you have a bad shot on those eight you're probably out, no matter how well you did in qualifying.
To me that's pressure!
Then having shooters drop one by one until you get the final two is far better than the old system in my view. It puts more pressure on the shooters and it's far better to watch and explain for those who are not familiar with the sport.
I'm biting my tongue but I have to agree with the ISSF on this one.
dand

Post by dand »

conradin wrote:That means one of them finished 7th and 8th, the other finished 8th.
Or that he mis-read the results. Beaman did finish 8th but Brown finished 3rd the first day and 5th the second day. Brown's finals scores are 180.6 (18 shots) and 137.8 (14 shots).

If the OP had been correct you would have been correct.

Dan
SMC

Post by SMC »

dand wrote:
conradin wrote:That means one of them finished 7th and 8th, the other finished 8th.
Or that he mis-read the results. Beaman did finish 8th but Brown finished 3rd the first day and 5th the second day. Brown's finals scores are 180.6 (18 shots) and 137.8 (14 shots).

If the OP had been correct you would have been correct.

Dan
I believe that I was commenting on the first day of competition. I got the answer that I needed. The rules for finals changed and I wasn't aware of the details yet.

Thanks to all who posted.

Steve
Chris

Post by Chris »

sounds to me like the Top Gun air gun match from many years ago USA Shooting put on.