I hope we're not getting closer . . .

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Freepistol

I hope we're not getting closer . . .

Post by Freepistol »

to having air rifles classified as firearms, however, the commercial I saw last night of Jim Shockey killing a wild pig with one has me concerned.
little pellet

Post by little pellet »

At Least one city in virginia has outlawed the use of air rifles...made one 4-H club high tail it to a neighboring county.....
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Doesn't New York city ban air rifle and pistols too.
RobStubbs

Re: I hope we're not getting closer . . .

Post by RobStubbs »

Freepistol wrote:to having air rifles classified as firearms, however, the commercial I saw last night of Jim Shockey killing a wild pig with one has me concerned.
Such hunting guns are much closer to being a firearm than a target gun. Not that I see much difference; we deliberatly call our airgun club an air weapons club, because we want people to remember they are all serious guns and not toys.

Rob.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Yes,
NYC has a total ban of all air guns.
It happened in the 1950's, I had a Daisy pump air rifle at the time,
If I remember correctly, kids were shooting at the windows of the elevated subway lines. It put these little holes, but would not break the glass.
My father got rid of the gun. That just made me want to own a gun more than ever. I guess I finally got my way.

NCAA teams like St. John's had, and other NYC colleges with an air gun program, have to get a special exemption letter from the Police Commissioners office to operate their range.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It's too late in some places.

I recall buying a match air pistol by mail from Michigan. While chatting with the dealer he mentioned he was having a hard time selling them because they required a pistol permit to own.

It's been a while so I don't know if that's still the case, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Ah I think they would go after black powder before they would go after airguns. You can have a .50 cal that will kill a pig at 300+ yards DEAD sent to your door no questions asked as it is now. Rifles that the guys of way back would have loved to have had I am sure lol.

Same goes with crossbows etc. They are all slow shot cycles as well and limited when it comes to air.

The whole Gun/Weapon thing is just mindless dribble. I am 6'4 and 225 lbs I can pretty much make anything into a "weapon" and kill you one way or another if I so wanted to. I could wield a leg of frozen lamb and "assault" you to death. It is all lawyer spin talk. Classify it and isolate it to attack it as being bad ummkay.

Bo