One for the Record Books

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Bob-Riegl

One for the Record Books

Post by Bob-Riegl »

I'll give you one for the records---The new New York State gun laws a la Psycho Andy Cuomo (Kommisar) Governor---has succeeded in banning the Hammerli, Walther and Pardini handguns because of the pistol grip and the forward position of the magazine. I will be glad to let you know when they are going to burn the books/ FYI & Beware----"Doc"
BenEnglishTX

Re: One for the Record Books

Post by BenEnglishTX »

deleted
Last edited by BenEnglishTX on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Bob
They already banned the Bible in many places.
The book "The Black Rifle" is next.
Marty G.
cgroppi

Re: One for the Record Books

Post by cgroppi »

Bob-Riegl wrote:I'll give you one for the records---The new New York State gun laws a la Psycho Andy Cuomo (Kommisar) Governor---has succeeded in banning the Hammerli, Walther and Pardini handguns because of the pistol grip and the forward position of the magazine. I will be glad to let you know when they are going to burn the books/ FYI & Beware----"Doc"
Bob,

Edit: What I posted earlier was not correct. I did cut and paste from the bill, but I used the text being deleted, not the new text. The new text says:

9 (C) A SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE
10 MAGAZINE AND HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:
11 (I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;
12 (II) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;
13 (III) A SECOND HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE
14 NON-TRIGGER HAND;
15 (IV) CAPACITY TO ACCEPT AN AMMUNITION MAGAZINE THAT ATTACHES TO THE
16 PISTOL OUTSIDE OF THE PISTOL GRIP;
17 (V) A THREADED BARREL CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING A BARREL EXTENDER, FLASH
18 SUPPRESSOR, FORWARD HANDGRIP, OR SILENCER;
19 (VI) A SHROUD THAT IS ATTACHED TO, OR PARTIALLY OR COMPLETELY ENCIR-
20 CLES, THE BARREL AND THAT PERMITS THE SHOOTER TO HOLD THE FIREARM WITH
21 THE NON-TRIGGER HAND WITHOUT BEING BURNED;
22 (VII) A MANUFACTURED WEIGHT OF FIFTY OUNCES OR MORE WHEN THE PISTOL IS
23 UNLOADED; OR
24 (VIII) A SEMIAUTOMATIC VERSION OF AN AUTOMATIC RIFLE, SHOTGUN OR
25 FIREARM;

This indeed does cover all target pistols with the magazine located in front of the grip. I suggest the best way to address this is to write real (not email) POLITELY WORDED letters to both state assembly-persons and the governor asking for an exception to be included for these target pistols, or the law text to be changed such that the target pistols are not covered. This has a much more realistic chance of happening quickly than the wholesale repeal of the entire law.

For those with interest, the full text of the passed bill can be found at:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?defaul ... y=Y&Text=Y
Last edited by cgroppi on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Ben I don't know where you're coming from---if you don't like me posting this information---then exercise your God given right and go elsewhere. This is a current situation I reported as FYI and nothing further. I really don't care if this has been discussed before---it's a current, cogent, relative, situation we New Yorkers find ourselves in. Unfortunately I haven't lived in Texas since my PhD days at University of Texas so I lost the freedom of firearms I had there years ago. "Doc"
Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible »

The bill specifically says ONE feature for handguns, so the mentioned pistols would be included. The text is on page 19 of your link. Your text of "two" may come from an older version of the penal code. When they do these bills to ammend current code they also put in code that will be deleted in lower case or line-through with the new text being all caps. That helps to confuse people!
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Bob-Riegl wrote:Ben I don't know where you're coming from...
Since I'm not a mod and the moderation standards here are clearly evolving, I shouldn't have said anything. I apologize. I'll go back and edit my prior post to make it less offensive.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

Bob,

Thank you for flagging this issue. As Canadian, who on an annual basis tries to shoot a match or two in NY State, this law leaves me wondering am I allowed to enter NY State with a Pardini, GSP or lord help an MG2 with its tubular magazine as a non-resident alien (of course with the proper Federal paperwork, approved BATF Form 6)

I guess it’s time to start doing more research to stay on the right side of the law.

Brian
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

I posted a link in the thread "Bad Locked Post" That may clarify if the guns are banned or not.

The narrative during the live voting for the bill claimed one bad feature was the determining factor but this link contradicts a lot of the claims.

Make no mistake it is a highly restrictive law, but not quite as bad as it looked. They could have avoided a lot of this if they had held the 3 day public comment period instead of waiving that and forcing the bill through.
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

Justin Credible wrote:The bill specifically says ONE feature for handguns, so the mentioned pistols would be included. The text is on page 19 of your link. Your text of "two" may come from an older version of the penal code. When they do these bills to ammend current code they also put in code that will be deleted in lower case or line-through with the new text being all caps. That helps to confuse people!
Yes, I see that now. I am corrected.