Safety flags - new rules

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Are the new ISSF saftey flag rules a waste of time?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 37

brakarzac

Safety flags - new rules

Post by brakarzac »

Can someone who actually shoots a Morini CM162 EI tell me what will pass as a safety flag under the ISSF pathetic new rules???

As i cant seem to get anything to work for a safety flag... And if anyone suggests using a bore snake again i think i will scream!!!

Cheers
Brad
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

A piece of weed trimmer line. That's what's used just about everywhere that requires these.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

Richard H wrote:A piece of weed trimmer line. That's what's used just about everywhere that requires these.
Tried that, gets caught in the compensator up front.
I also struggle with the Hammerli FP60, but its easier to get through with some tools.

Cheers

Brad
renzo

Post by renzo »

brakarzac wrote:
Richard H wrote:A piece of weed trimmer line. That's what's used just about everywhere that requires these.
Tried that, gets caught in the compensator up front.
I also struggle with the Hammerli FP60, but its easier to get through with some tools.

Cheers

Brad
Try inserting it from muzzle to breech, I have done it on a friend's CM162.

At the club I shoot, we have bought enough weed trimmer line, 3 mm. width, red to make flags for everybody coming to our scheduled national shoot in April (the second official one in the country held under the new rules), cost was insignificant, we are giving them away as souvenirs.
#1texan

Post by #1texan »

Are we talking about ECI'S for air guns, firearms or both?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Yes it works better from the muzzle to the break in my LP10 too.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

#1texan wrote:Are we talking about ECI'S for air guns, firearms or both?
Air pistols and 50m pistols with compensators fitted.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

Richard H wrote:Yes it works better from the muzzle to the break in my LP10 too.

The biggest problem is getting access to the cord from the breach!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

it usually just pops right out as the trimmer line is usually curved. What diameter line are you using?
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

Richard H wrote:it usually just pops right out as the trimmer line is usually curved. What diameter line are you using?
1.5mm cord

Cheers
Brad
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It can be a bit tricky using trimmer cord in a 162 but if you feed it into the muzzle through a short length of drinking straw it is easy.
David M

Post by David M »

What about a cleaning rod with a coloured mop ? Orange or Lime Green...
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

David M wrote:What about a cleaning rod with a coloured mop ? Orange or Lime Green...
Hi David,

That is an option, but Spencer has not released what he will approve for Australia yet. With Aus Cup 1 fast approaching, i dont want to be caught short having something not approved.

Cheers
Brad
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

brakarzac wrote:
David M wrote:What about a cleaning rod with a coloured mop ? Orange or Lime Green...
Hi David,

That is an option, but Spencer has not released what he will approve for Australia yet. With Aus Cup 1 fast approaching, i dont want to be caught short having something not approved.

Cheers
Brad
All you need is something to show the barrel is clear, it doesn't matter what it is. RO's / EQ don't care as long as does that. Most people have used the plastic strimmer cord, and for guns with a compensator at the front, put it in from the muzzle.

Also to clarify, a normal breach flag is fine for cartridge guns, it's only airguns that need a CBI.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Still haven't worked out what you can do with the MatchGun MGH1. The loading port doesn't slide back, it rotates.

I understand that the question has been asked.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

in mgh1 case i think a small talk with match judges could prove to them that the rotating loading port blocks air and pellet access to the barrel. if you got one could you show us some pictures of it plus a small review (things you like - don't like, how it feels etc? ). we did 4 matches with the new rules in Greece (complete with finals) in paper targets and it wasn't hard to use the safety cord in both my mg1e and cm162e.
Last edited by ghostrip on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

For 10m:

1 - Whipper-snipper cord typically retains the curvature of the 'bulk' roll - it can be straightened by judicious application of heat (I use a paint stripper gun) to the outside of the curve

2 - A 90degree bend of about 1"/25mm at one end makes life easier to remove the cord. even flasher, a loop (the heat gun again for either approach)

3 - a sharp, as cut, end will snag when inserting the cord. Easily fixed by heating the end with the flame of a lighter until it starts to melt and 'rounds off' the end (DO NOT BREATH IN ANY FUMES)

4 - use a brightly coloured cord
Last edited by Spencer on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

David Levene wrote:Still haven't worked out what you can do with the MatchGun MGH1. The loading port doesn't slide back, it rotates.

If that's the one Peter F uses then yes he asked Dave. He got an answer that it was OK and the gun was shot at RIAC and the BPC (and ergo must have passed 2013 rules EQ). We are at over at Intershoot next week so I'll ask around again there.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:
David Levene wrote:Still haven't worked out what you can do with the MatchGun MGH1. The loading port doesn't slide back, it rotates.

If that's the one Peter F uses then yes he asked Dave. He got an answer that it was OK and the gun was shot at RIAC and the BPC (and ergo must have passed 2013 rules EQ). We are at over at Intershoot next week so I'll ask around again there.
At the BPC Open, because we had not seen the full rules when we printed the entry form, we declared on the form that we would only be using the match timings and format from the new rules. We were not therefore enforcing things like safety flags and, having spoken to one of Jury members from RIAC, I've got a feeling they were similar.

In any event remember that safety flags are not checked or required at EC under the ISSF rules.
j-team

Post by j-team »

David Levene wrote: In any event remember that safety flags are not checked or required at EC under the ISSF rules.
Which seems a bit odd. I would have thought that they would be more useful at EC than on the range due to the movement and handling of guns there isn't under the ROs control.