Clark .38 Special + Marvel et al

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Brewster20

Post by Brewster20 »

Hello folks, just joined. I enjoy Bullseye shooting, and have recently acquired a Clark 61-5, with a low serial # (0045x-H) The slide is mounted on a pre-70's Colt National Match.
My question is, can I put a Marvel .22 conversion on the Colt lower, or has there been some alterations on the frame for the Clark conversion ?
Thanks in advance
Cheers
JohnLK

Post by JohnLK »

The "H" in the s/n suffix could stand for Hebard.
This from a web source:

The Colt 38 Special Kit, also known as the Gil Hebard Model, was produced between 1964 and 1970. It is basically an 38 AMU with a different slide marking, but just over 400 were produced in 38 wadcutter. They were produced on order from (noted target pistol dealer) Gil Hebard. They had no sights from the factory, but the hammer, trigger, and grips were factory installed. All the other major parts were shipped separately in the box. It was left up to the buyer to have his gunsmith of choice install sights and assemble the pistol. Serial #’s started at 00100-H

At some point Clark started installing "ramp" modified barrels/frames. I have a Long Heavy Slide he built for me in 1974 that is like this. The feed ramp in the frame is modified in such a way you won't be able to easily fit another barrel, etc. to it. You should be able to easily see the difference when you take the slide off.

It also sounds as though you don't have the slide that's original to the frame.

I'd get another frame and leave your Clark .38 as is. They were nice guns although .38's aren't shot much anymore for Bullseye Centerfire.
I always wish I had one!
:)
JLK[/b]
JohnLK

Post by JohnLK »

Oh Brewster!
One other question.
You sure it's not a model 61-S instead of "5"?
JLK
Brewster20

Post by Brewster20 »

Could be either, I am dealing with photographs right now, the pistol is in transit to me.
Cheers