New Anschutz PCP rifle many questions about filling

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bchannell

New Anschutz PCP rifle many questions about filling

Post by bchannell »

I just bought, (but have not received) an Anschutz AN2002 PCP target rifle, and I've never owned a PCP gun before, so I'm going to the source for some info.

Here's what I've done so far. I'm assuming from what I've read on the internet that the Annie comes with a DIN to Anschutz rifle tank adapter. Will this adapter fit a standard US 300 DIN High Pressure scuba tank valve? My guess is it will.

Anschutz uses a 200BAR rifle tank. I bought a 3500psi steel scuba tank with DIN valve. I am assuming that filling directly from the tank to the rifle tank is ok? Do I need a restrictor or can I just fill slowly with the valve? I'm not too stupid, so as long as you have some control over the air flow with the valve, I'm guessing no restrictor is needed. I want to be able to go slow, as is the procedure for filling air tanks anyway.

My thinking on the tank was that the 200BAR Annie tank (2900psi) isn't a lot lower than the tanks 3500psi, so the danger of overfill, if careful is minimal, and almost within the 10% overfill that the dive shop owner explained was the safety factor on filling scuba tanks. Now don't ge me wrong, I AM NOT GOING TO OVERFILL my Annie tank, just an observation that it would be very close to it's normal capacity, and probably well under it's test pressure.

I've filled hundreds of SCBA tanks in my time, as I work for a chemical plant that has their own fire company. I used to be the guy who filled all the tanks with first a cascade system, then topped off with a 4500psi compressor. Now we have a computerized fill station, where amazingly enough, I can fill my scuba tank also. I didn't go SCBA tank for a couple of reasons, one, too high a pressure when air is readily available to me, two, the fittings were harder to figure out, and three, the company didn't have any tanks they wanted to part with, so I bought the 3500psi tank.
justadude

Post by justadude »

I am a FWB owner so some of this is conjecture, the other just the mechanics of working with high pressure air.

You will likely find the adapter for the Anschutz is a 200DIN.

200DIN=3000PSI, 300DIN=4500PSI

If you have a 3500PSI tank then a 300DIN valve should not have been installed. Reason: If someone goes to fill the tank based on the valve installed bad things might happen. Likely it will be a 200DIN if it was built properly.

Next, if you get a 200DIN adapter and try to screw it into a 300DIN valve it will not seal correctly. The 300DIN valve looks similar but requires a few more threads to get down to the sealing surface.

Yes, you can be careful and fill slowly. Frankly I never fill to more than about 190Bar (200Bar system) and use down to about 115-120 bar. This gets me about 150 shots, which is plenty. Frankly, some days I am easily distracted by shiny objects so I personally would not tempt fate by saying I have to watch and fill slowly to avoid possible damage to either the cylinder or rifle when I am done.

Just my 2 cents

'Dude
bchannell

Post by bchannell »

I should have been clearer. I bought a 3500psi tank. I'm assuming with a DIN connector, (not 300 DIN), as I haven't picked up the tank yet, I'll do that tomorrow.

My guess is that the fill adapter for the Anschutz tank will fit right into the scuba DIN valve, but I'm not sure about that part.

I'm also looking into a DIN to Anschutz tank adapter hose/gauge setup so that I have a bleed and guage for filling, but from what I've been reading, it's not a necessity, just very nice, and since it makes filling much easier, I'll probably get it.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Unless someone is doing something they should not your 3500PSI tank will come with the standard 200 Bar DIN valve.

The DIN valve being the preferred valve in Europe you are correct in assuming that the Anschutz adapter should screw right in. Do bear in mind that because of the way they seal, nothing needs to be ridiculously tight, just a little firm.

If you want to get a hose adapter, pressure gauge, bleeder gizmo then that is OK. You don't need it. When you have your tank jammed it will most likely be jammed to 3000PSI, all you need to do is attach the cylinder to the adapter and open the valve. I do recommend slowly.

I prefer the rigid mount direct to the tank, no hose. This way the cylinder I am filling can be pointed away from me and I do not have to hold it in my hand. Being a veteran of handling compressed gasses I never look directly at the end of the cylinder when filling, just in case something pops.

'Dude