Time between strings in gallery match?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

jabberwo

Time between strings in gallery match?

Post by jabberwo »

Hi,

Shot a gallery course this evening at my new club. Which debuted a new recorded set of range commands (used to be called by a real human). I felt really rushed between strings in timed and rapid.

I know I read somewhere that the range commands to start a string (Is the line ready, The line is ready, Ready on the right, ...) are supposed to be 3 seconds apart. But can't remember if there is any required or recommended time between the end of one string (Are there any refires) and the beginning of the next (Load 5 rounds). Just checked the NRA rules, didn't see anything.

Anyone know if there is a recommended time?

thanks,
jab
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

This seems kind of weird. The places I have shot who use prerecorded commands, always check the line to see if everone is ready before they start the call.
What did they do if there was an alabi? Was anyone shooting a revolver?

What made you feel rushed? Did you ever raise your hand and say "Not Ready"?
gulliver62

Post by gulliver62 »

Whenever I have fired with the automated commands the RO did not just let the commands run through both strings of the target.
They manually called to "Is the Line Ready" and if there was no stop at that point started the manual commands for the string.

I don't have to load mags between the two five shot strings unless I am shooting revolver so I am pretty much ready to go as soon as the first string is done.
GOVTMODEL

Re: Time between strings in gallery match?

Post by GOVTMODEL »

jabberwo wrote:Hi,

Shot a gallery course this evening at my new club. Which debuted a new recorded set of range commands (used to be called by a real human). I felt really rushed between strings in timed and rapid.

I know I read somewhere that the range commands to start a string (Is the line ready, The line is ready, Ready on the right, ...) are supposed to be 3 seconds apart. But can't remember if there is any required or recommended time between the end of one string (Are there any refires) and the beginning of the next (Load 5 rounds). Just checked the NRA rules, didn't see anything.

Anyone know if there is a recommended time?

thanks,
jab
See Rule 10.7 Note- : Commands controlling the start of the firing sequence commencing with "Ready on the Right" should have approximately a 3 second interval between firing line commands.
tenex

Post by tenex »

I've caught grief several times over the speed of range commands. After the command to load is given, why would I ask if the line is ready when I can clearly see that someone is still loading their gun? (revolver shooter). But I've been yelled at for this. Even after I show them the rule book (which I carry for self protection).

I use marks on the timer to help me time everything from "ready on the right" onward, but before that I wait until I see that people are more or less ready.

Better to wait a bit than to have an accident.

Steve.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I shot my first club match just a week ago. I found the range instructions a bit "quick" once and raised my hand.. I got more time to do things.. appreciated it..... I shot the RO a thumbs up and he went DIRECTLY to THE LINE IS READY and on we went.......
ciscovt

Time between strings on Gallery match.

Post by ciscovt »

I am not the most experienced RO but have been calling our winter gallery matches for three years. After time has ended for the first string of timed or rapid I always ask: "Are there any saved rounds or alibis?" you need to ask so it can be noted and/or dealt with. If there are no saved rounds or alibis after my pause to allow for an answer, I say, "There are none. this will be your next/second string of timed/rapid fire, on the line with five rounds load." With 8 firing points I can see when everyone appears to be loaded and I do account for revolver shooters. There is no rule that dictates a set time after the Load command, only between the commands: "Ready on the Right, Ready on the left etc. 3 seconds. Every match may be a little different. I feel you need to account for revolver shooters, new or less experienced shooters as well as old pros. While you need to keep things moving along, a little common sense and courtesy helps people enjoy the match (and want to return). I think one of our goals and responsibilities is to help people enjoy the sport to promote continued participation and maybe wanting to bring new shooter/competitors into the fold.

Scott
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Usually after a string in Timed or Rapid Fire there is a question "are there any malfunctions (alibis)". Then the next utterance from an ROIC is "Since there are no malfunctions (alibis), for your second string of Timed or Rapid Fire, with five rounds load" etc. If you feel you are being rushed make it known immediately and don't relent in this, you are entitled to proper timing an commands. My biggest complaint are the unnecessarily long Bar Mitzvah speeches that some ROIC's subject the shooters too, with all kinds of stupid, unnecessary additions to the ritual. "Doc"