Mailing Money Orders

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

proneshooter

Mailing Money Orders

Post by proneshooter »

I have mailed two letters containing money orders in the past three months. One for gun parts and one with a signed FFL enclosed for a rifle to be shipped to the FFL. The gun parts letter took over a week longer than my normal mail to be delivered and the most recent is still out there in the postal system and it is over 15 days and counting. Has anyone else noticed a longer delivery time on mail with money orders or am I getting a little paranoid about the mail?
visitor

Post by visitor »

Had Christmas escaped your notice? It typically adds 3 - 7 days to mail delivery times.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I sold a few scopes and firearms this month and there was no delay using USPS. I use fedex to ship and they were fast as usual. You can use fedex if your local post office is slow.
sparky

Post by sparky »

My mail is running about 7-10 days later than normal since around late November, beginning of December.

Re: Mailing Money Orders

Post by Guest »

proneshooter wrote:... took over a week longer than my normal mail to be delivered and the most recent is still out there in the postal system and it is over 15 days and counting.....
Same experience here in October. When sending anything important through the postal system, always get a tracking number. It's the only way they know where they lost it.
togfish

Post by togfish »

The only reliable way to ship a parcel or letter is UPS or FedEx. The postal service here has a terrible track record. This is one government "service" that should be privatized.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

I had a postal money order lost awhile back, took almost 3 months to get my money back.

Here on out, i it is important I put my envelope in a USPS Priority envelope.
Costs a tad more but it gets there.

Clarence
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

togfish wrote:The only reliable way to ship a parcel or letter is UPS or FedEx. The postal service here has a terrible track record. This is one government "service" that should be privatized.
Huh, funny you should bring that up, Togfish. Of the three packages I shipped in the last week, the only one to make it in the scheduled time was the one I sent via USPS. All three went from California to the midwest. The UPS package is missing and presumed lost, the FedEx package was due to be delivered today but is in parts unknown somewhere between here and Ohio, and the USPS package is safe and sound, delivered yesterday right on schedule, in Madison, WI. I think I'll be sticking with my federal postal service any time I want to send something that's not restricted. The only reason those packages went UPS and FedEx was because they contained things disallowed in the mail under federal law.

Post by Guest »

togfish wrote:The only reliable way to ship a parcel or letter is UPS or FedEx. The postal service here has a terrible track record. This is one government "service" that should be privatized.
A postal employee told me that USPS Priority Mail is actually FedEx. It must be secure and reliable because FFL's use Priority Mail to ship handguns around the country. I wouldn't be surprised if USPS Express is also carried by FedEx.
WRL

Post by WRL »

So, how would anyone know your letters contained money orders? Did you write " contains money order" on the outside of the envelope? Over many years, I have never had a single problem with the USPS, mailing lots of very important financial and business documents, including overseas addresses. I use USPS over UPS because I find it much easier to use my small local post office than to ship with UPS. Just befoe Christmas I purchased an item from a target shooting retailer (800 miles distant) on the internet. At checkout I was offered my choice of deliveries. I chose USPS because it was about $3 less expensive via priority mail than UPS. Four days later my package arrived. I hope you situation works out okay.
visitor

Post by visitor »

A postal employee told me that USPS Priority Mail is actually FedEx.
What did you think - that the Postal Service had its own air fleet? They collect items at the local P.O., hand it over to FedEx who gets it (or not) to the delivering P.O. "First mile" and "last mile," which are the expensive parts of the package handling business, belong to the USPS. In many locations FedEx and UPS packages are delivered by a USPS employee in a USPS vehicle.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Anonymous wrote:[ It must be secure and reliable because FFL's use Priority Mail to ship handguns around the country. I wouldn't be surprised if USPS Express is also carried by FedEx.
This is not true. It is illegal to ship handguns(firearms) through the postal system any way other than Registered Mail.
william

Post by william »

Sorry, Scott, it IS true. Postal regulations allow dealers and manufacturers to ship handguns to other dealers or manufacturers via Priority Mail.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Interesting William. I just reread the regulations and there is no mention of the registered requirement. When did they drop that I wonder?
topclass52

Mailing money orders

Post by topclass52 »

just came across this post. I send Money Orders (and/or cashiers checks) USPS Priority mail i order to get a delivery confirmation number. while this doesn't provide real time "tracking" like Fedex or UPS, it does provide a number that can be researched if necessary. I have never had any problems sending payments this way.
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

I had one take a month, thats bad for a $2500 cashiers check