LG 300 Junior...for a Senior

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Dozo10

Post by Dozo10 »

Air Rifle folks.
I've had a couple shoulder injuries and 66 year old eyes. The light weight of a Walther LG-300 Junior appeals to me. I would use it with a scope as home practice for indoor smallbore 4-P.
What are the pros & cons of this gun? How's it reliability?
thanks
yana

Post by yana »

Con's: lightweight means its probably harder to hold still. Especially with scope at the rear, it can very well get too light up front.
The new LG300's are as reliable as any brand. I have a LG300 non-XT myself. Similar set-up as the Jr, only standard cilinder.
Pro: I love the 300 bar, it has LOTS of shots!
The Juniorting only sits in its lighter/shorter alu cilinder, the stock etc are the same. So you can always buy another cilinder to add weight.
Con: It dóes have the same, short, tunnelholer mine has. it was troublesome to find any risers for it cause the railsize wasnt similar to the normal LG300 apparently.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Superb Rifle, the action, trigger, and fittings are the same as the other Lg300's, all the standard Walther and Lg300 stuff fits, and they are equaly as accurate.
The stock is not the same, it is physically smaller than the standard LG300XT with the laminated stock, so ideally it suits the smaller frame and the smaller hand as the pistol grip is smaller, but it is adjustable for length so you can increase it, the barrel length is shorter so with target sights the sight base is shorter but if you are using tele's it will make no difference.
If its too light it is easy to add weight, my wife used her's weighted up to win the veterans class and come second in the masters class at the British Airgun championships in 2012.
She now uses the same stock with a new Lg 400 system fitted.
Good shooting
Robin
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

To dampen the wobble, you can put barrel weights on the front, or wrap thick lead solder around the barrel. I put barrel weights on my FWB-P70-Jr.

If I remember correctly, the stock is an ambidextrous stock. I don't care for ambi stocks because the pistol grip position for the thumb is not as comfortable as a true RH (or LH) stock.
Dozo10

Post by Dozo10 »

Yana/Robin,
Your information is most helpful. Being on the other side of the Atlantic, I'm not sure what a "tunnel-holer" is. I suspect it's smaller than what the English & French used to bore the Chunnel.
You also mentioned "newer" LG 300's. I've heard that the older ones had some cylinder problems. Have you heard that as well?
Thanks again,
--jeff
yana

Post by yana »

The very first LG300's were said to have reg issues
Sorry, should've been tunnel holder..my laptop regularly skips letters..
The width(W) of the Jr is exactly like the LG300 universal acc to the walther website.
Barrel length is the same as well.
Its total length differs, but I suspect that to only be spacers or adjustability.
Sightlength differs cause of the different tunnel holder.
Biggest difference ís the cilinder. Almost no manufacturer these days care to REALLY make a Jr gun anymore other then change cilinder and maybe shorter barrel. Latest REAL Jr I know of, was the Tau 7 Junior.
http://www.carl-walther.com/cw.php?lang ... oduct=1134
You can compare the specs of the 2 yrself on their website.
RobinC

LG300

Post by RobinC »

The VERY early LG300 had regulator problems , they were sorted quickly many many years ago, that is now a non issue, don't even think about it.
The new LG 300's are no different from the originals, although with the most recent new ones you can specify the magnetic absorber from the LG400. I suspect the 300 will be eventualy phased out now the 400 is in full production.
Sorry Yana, the junior barrel is shorter! The stock is also physically smaller, and in answer to another question , yes the pistol grip is ambi, it is a very good shape but is smaller than the full size grip and would better suit juniors, ladies, and small handed men. The standard forsight tunnel it is supplied with is the Standard Walther 18 mm tunnel which is fitted to other rifles in their range, it takes standard 18 mm Anschutz elements, on fore sights the difference with all Walthers ( not just the junior) is the front dovetail is smaller than the rearsight so it will only accept foresights and sight raisers made for Walther, but all the accesory companies make Walther items.
My wifes is weighted to 4.5 kilo, other ladies using the junior stock include a to level German team member, and Galkina the Russian Olympic medalists.
There is no Junior 400 as with all the weights out the 400 alutec can be brought down to almost the same weight as the junior, and with the shortest butt set up to the same minimum length.
That said, my wife prefers the junior wood stock to the alutec, and her special Junior/Lg400 has the blessing of the walther factory so may be???
I can't put a picture on here as the size is too big but if any one wants to see it PM me your email adress.
Robin