1911 Dot Sight Mounts

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

big mouse

1911 Dot Sight Mounts

Post by big mouse »

I would like to start shooting a .45 ACP in our local league with an UltraDot.

I have seen some pistols with mounts that attach to the frame, while
others are located on the slide.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each type?

Are there any particular makes or models of each kind that you'd recommend?

Any to stay away from due to poor design or other issues?

I don't even have a pistol yet, but am looking for opinions and comments
from those of you who are using dots on your 1911s.

Thanks!
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Big Mouse, the smartest thing to do is make it easy on yourself. If you don't have a gun yet, buy a used one with the dot already attached. Then get used to it.
I like a frame mount, but I am in the minority. It is a bit easier to tune your loads, but a good frame mount is expensive.
A lot of people like a slide mount because it absorbs a lot of recoil. You also can get it very low on the slide, and will generally see less dot movement.
David Sams makes a wonderful frame mount. I think Les Baer offers that option too.
Peter B

Mount

Post by Peter B »

Isabel,

Do you use the one sided scope mount. If so does it loosen up. I too like frame mount and been using welan? that mount on both sides and clamp the scope between them. I don't think they make them any more but they kept the scope low instead of the rail type and rings.

Any body know of another frame mount that clamps the scope?

Tried slide mount and didn't like it, hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Peter, yes. The David Sams frame mount attaches on the left side of the gun to a small plate screwed into the frame. The rings are attached to the left side (machined aluminum) and just in front of the ejection port. These are great frame mounts. They do not move unless you unscrew three torx screws that hold the mount to the frame. I use a little loctite. You don't need to remove the mount often. The slide will come off the frame for cleaning without taking the mount off. If you have a slide racker you will either have to unscrew it or grind the edges off so it does not catch the mount. It is a very good idea to have a slide racker on a 45 with a frame mount.
AllAces

Post by AllAces »

Red Bluff made a side mount that mounted only on the left side is quite light and rigid. You may be able to find someone on one of the 1911 forums that has one for sale.
dsd

Post by dsd »

I have a frame mount on my 45 with a C-More slide ride on it. I do want to switch to an Ultra Dot on that.

Anyway, I agree a slide racker is needed but make sure it is easy to remove or one sided as it may get in the way if you need to take off the slide.

I have always been concerned with slide mounts as it would seem the optic takes a lot of abuse and may lead to issues keeping zero.

Just my opinion,

best
dsd
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

shadow

Post by shadow »

If you saw the post on the Aimpoint on the Fwb AW93 you will see that the discussion centered around how low the scope sits in relation to the bbl. That's why most shooters on the line at Perry use a slide mount.
plink182

Post by plink182 »

I originally started with a frame mount and loved it, picked up a backup with a slide mount, shot better with it so it became my primary. After 2 years I went back and tried the frame mount and hated it. Not sure if it was the top heavy feeling, the height of the dot to the barrel or what. I did not notice it when I switched originally but now the recoil with the frame mount is soo much more violent feeling than with the slide mount.
tuj

Post by tuj »

I have both. I prefer the slide-mount. For one, it's easier to rack the slide, just grab the optic and rack. As for holding zero, I use an ultradot on my slide-mount gun and it's always held zero, even under full-power loads.

I can say from experience that the AimTech mount that replaces one of the grip panels is NOT a good mount and tends to interfere with ejection.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I have the frame mount on my Les Baer as it came from the factory. About 15 years ago someone talked me into putting a Baer mount on their gun and I do remember the mount costing right at $100. Next I remember how long it took me to install it. That was a bear to put on right. I copied how I installed it exactly as it was on my Baer and remember tipping it .050 because it was tipped on the Baer also. It has been on the gun for years now and has always worked fine but I firmly believe the reason most people go to the slide mount is the cost of the mount and the installation. I don't feel that one is better than the other because with the frame you can use lighter loads and with the slide, it is cheaper and there is talk that it will be more accurate if aimed with the dot because the feeling is that a dot mounted on a frame might be less aligned with the barrel than a dot mounted on the slide. I don't know if this is true or not, but nowadays I think both are excellent because guns are so much better than they used to be. In the sixties, if you had a 3 inch at 50 yard gun, you bragged about it. I think you should worry about the quality of the gun you buy, way more than whether it is frame or slide.