air pistol training program by Jukka Lahti

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Russ

Re: Thanks

Post by Russ »

@ Peter B

"Russ, if you have something to add I would like to hear it. I wouldn't think I need to be standing in front of you to get your advice on this subject."
You are correct
You do not "need to be standing in front of me to get my advice on this subject"

But Tips in general do not work here. Even some ideas were valuable, you will not recognize which one you should apply or which one you should omit. Ask our new psychologist how to get rid of wrong thoughts, or "do not pay attention of the certain ideas from "TT". In a few days you will forget the source where you got this information, and will be no surprise for me why you stuck at the low level of the performance. ;)

It takes time to understand the value of my recommendation. I’m not making living from these activities. I’m not looking for new client. I’m looking for someone who understand the value and really ready to commit to the action.

I see some of experts, gurus and talented athletes left because of wrong believes. It is survival skills will help you differentiate correct answer to your question from wrong one. Trust in your guts, my friend, it is Wild West here.
P.S.
I really hope that our New psychologist willing to express simplicity of creation new habits and his personal experience to make them working right. :)

I’m really glad to have you here Gary Funnell, and work for free in comparison other sport psychologists who charge $350 in an hour. ;)))
tqb

Post by tqb »

Here's my "2 cents" on this subject.

The mental aspect of shooting is one of the most important, and should not be forgotten.
I recommend reading the book "With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Bassham.

One must be confident on the line. One must truly believe that he can shoot a perfect/good shot.
This does not come easy. You must be sure that your subconscient is capable of handling all the basics so that you can focus on the one thing that matters when taking the shoot – the sight alignment.

Dry fire training is very important to me. I can’t go to the range every day to I try do dry fire at home 10 to 20 min every day. If you can compartmentalize the different aspects of training you will have some gains by doing that.

Personally I’ve found that most of my mistakes are due to poor concentration, over trying and lack of confidence.
I’m still struggling with some technical aspects, mainly with, arc of movement, focusing only on the front sight and optimal grip angle configuration.

I’ve noticed that my best series happen when I’m relaxed, confident and just let it “flow”.

While anxiety in a match is still present, I found that I can control it with a easy technique: fake yawning. Controlling my breathing also helps.

Currently my biggest problem is lack of endurance. My arm starts to become tiered and errors tend to happen more frequently. Shoot dispersion increases and the sevens and even some sixes soon follow.

I’m still trying to find a suitable shooting rhythm that can help with endurance maintenance, but I do realize that I must increase my shoulder and wrist strength.

In conclusion, the mental aspect of shooting is of the most importance, and proper training is vital to a confident performance.

I hope this helps. At least writing it helped me organize my thoughts.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Ya know something??? The original question was, does anyone know this person? No one answered that question in THREE (3) pages of thread. Russ, you have a commercial interest in this thread and are automatically to be disregarded. What you have written is gibberish and without merit, due somewhat to your lack of English back ground, as your declensions are typically of European back ground. If Lahti has a background he hasn't really made that clear in his sales pitch---which is annoying at best. I have coached on a collegiate level and all of our pistol shooters had to shoot either Standard Pistol, Women's Sport Pistol , Air Pistol and/or Free pistol, or combinations. That is a daunting task for any shooter and their coaches, only made easier with natural talent, youth and desire. But youth and skill are soon overcome by personal psychology. The coach must be a combination of Psychologist, Kinesthetic expert, Shooter with the patience of Job. I for one will purchase his "Plan" and analyze it, commit myself to the program and see where my scores are in 90 days. Of course committing myself means to totally limit myself to his program and erase any preconceived ideas already stored in my brain. So three months from now I will let you know of my results. "Doc"
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

shooter560 wrote:
Russ wrote:Dear shooter560

What makes you think that your suggestion is better than Greg’s? Why someone have to trust you and your avatar more than “Mickey mouse”. ;)
Yes you are right, I have a screen name, however just for you my name is Gary Funnell, I am new to air pistol shooting or in fact any shooting with a gun, however I was an international archer representing Great Britain at all levels for over 15 years, international Paralympic archery coach for 8 years including personal coach to a 2 times Paralympic medallist. Also I have a doctorate in sports physiology.

So nope I don't know jack about shooting but I do know a thing or two about what it takes to get to the top both in technical terms and head games, and what I suggested on how to get your head round making a single shot is no different to how to make a single shot in archery, they are both shooting sports and sports that require a greater need for mental awareness and toughness than almost all others, once you have learnt and mastered the physical side of it.

And I still whole heartedly stand by the fact you are only posting in an attempt to tout for business and not to help others because of a love for the sport. Now please if you have nothing to add to help answer the OP's question please stop posting sly digs at others who are willing to help without having a hidden agenda. Also if you wish to discuss this post then start a thread not by sending me PM's, I have nothing to hide and aren't out to earn from anyone, but I will where possible help as my time and knowledge is FREE for those deserve it

Just in case it was "lost in translation" for you Russ, Mr Funnell just told you to edit deleted!
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

Todinjax

Many of us understand more than one language. In any language your statement to Russ was uncalled for and quite childish.
Russ

Post by Russ »

No comments.
Last edited by Russ on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Jack Milchanowski wrote:Todinjax

Many of us understand more than one language. In any language your statement to Russ was uncalled for and quite childish.
You are right, it was a foolish thing to post. It shoud have been a PM. I apologize to our host and the whole forum.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Everyone, reread posts 9-10-11-and 12.
This is all the further this thread needed to go.

Clarence
Peter B

The Now

Post by Peter B »

Russ,

Greg is on the right path isn't he with his key word or phrase. It help brings you back to the Now or in the moment. If we start thinking of what has happen or what will happen we are not consintrating on what is happening.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Greg wrote:
"you need to learn to disassociate yourself from the numerical score. (1) I try to focus on the performance of each shot and not follow the value. If you are able just glance at the position of the shot. You should also be using a key word as you shoot (2) in order to occupy your mind, or a few phrases to positively influence your subconscious mind.(3)

I know the pucker factor is out there and each shooter needs to find a way to control it. Some will not. Believe me, no matter how great the shooter, they still feel performance pressures (4). Good luck."

Here are four important parts imbedded in short Greg’s message. If someone can see just one thing it is not enough. This is why you should spend time in communication with someone who understand the subject inside and out!

Unfortunately his rate of “TT appearance" is relatively low in comparison with other experts at this forum. (Joined: 01 Dec 2005

Probably he spent 50% of his efforts by arguing with me in efforts for his specific reason. ;)
I see, he can do better job! ;))
Last edited by Russ on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Maybe Greg thinks rambling on teaches nothing, or hustling members is counter productive, or maybe he is just spending time training for the next match or national championship. Or building guns for shooters wanting to win their next match. Hmmmm?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Never mind Greg. Russ is all over the target with his petty insults. Now he attacks you for posting too little. Remember how he attacked me several times for posting too much? Now look at his post count and weigh that against the almost complete lack of useful information within these ramblings... and have a little laugh and move on.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Gerard, If I can do only one good thing for this community, is to minimize your input. It will be great single contribution from my part. ;)))

Do not even try to compare your writing with Greg’s. You are far away out the league, my friend. :(
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:Gerard, If I can do only one good thing for this community, is to minimize your input. It will be great single contribution from my part. ;)))

Do not even try to compare your writing with Greg’s. You are far away out the league, my friend. :(
That right there is a HUGE part of the problem so many members here have with your contributions Russ. You treat this place like a popularity contest, and constantly push your ego to the fore as though by simply asserting your expertise you are somehow to be trusted... though you offer practically nothing. As I've asked before; would you at least consider the nature of the place in which you are advertising? You keep chanting over and over how 'tips' are destructive. What else does an Internet forum exist to do, except serve as a place where members can exchange information? Is information to be limited to advertising as in your case? Or are we allowed to exchange ideas and opinions, free of charge? Do you own this forum? It seems you suffer from a fundamental confusion over the nature of discussion forums generally.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Gerard learned for number of years:
'tips' are destructive. .[/quote] Excuse me for corrections. ;)

"Tips are counterproductive"; you have to be precise in quotation by the way.
I’m glad that you able to gain something from me from last few years. My second advice for you, Gerard, is Stop posting and start reading! It will bring peace and happiness to you! :)
Last edited by Russ on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:Gerard learned for number of years:
'tips' are destructive. . Excuse me for corrections. ;)

"Tips are counterproductive"; you have to be precise in quotation by the way.
I’m glad that you able to gain something from me from last few years. My second advice for you, Gerard, is Stop posting and start reading! It will bring peace and happiness to you! :)
You lecture on precision in use of English now? Perhaps you can see full quotes on my reference you your rants about 'tips' being destructive... but if you can, I'd suggest checking what medication conflicts you might be suffering or perhaps a visit to an ophthalmologist is overdue.

Someone in another thread was asking about shoulder stability just this morning. I made a couple of suggestions, and provided a link to relevant safe exercises. What useful content have you contributed to this forum today Russ?
Russ

Imagine me posting in violin makers forum. :)))

Post by Russ »

I will promise I will not follow you to the violin makers’ forum, because, I have no clue about it. You will gain a lot of attention there by sharing you secrets of violin making process. :)

Imagine me posting in violin makers forum. :)))

I have known any damn thing about it, but if I will do it with your enthusiasm anyway!
Will it bring me credits for trying extra hard? ;)
Russ

What useful content have you contributed to this forum today

Post by Russ »

What useful content have you contributed to this forum today Russ?

I will work “pro bono” in order to help you understand that your contributions on "TT" equal to my contributions to violin making community. ;)
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

ENOUGH! Mods get the lock out please.
taz

Post by taz »

I decided to buy the program. It was cheap enough to justify the risk.
Basically it is a well structured 20 week long program with various exercises. It includes dry fire exercises, live fire exercises, shooting fitness specific exercises, general fitness, mental etc.
In all, as someone already mentioned, it includes various information that someone could find on the internet.
I believe that if someone were to follow the program as it is structured his scores would definitely improve (unless he was shooting 580 already).
The "problem" is that the program requires 5 out of 7 days of the week from 15min to 3 hours training which a lot people cannot afford to invest. On the other hand as is correctly stated in the video, there are no shortcuts, if you want to improve you have to put in the hours and train.