FWB 700 Foresight Size

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

IainD

FWB 700 Foresight Size

Post by IainD »

Just a quick question, what size of element do you use for 10m shooting ? I am having to buy some new elements and don't want to buy to many that will never be used, so an indication of the range you use would be helpful

Thanks

Iain D
BM

Post by BM »

M18, better than M22 which makes proper aiming difficult.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

M18, better than M22 which makes proper aiming difficult.
Not really relevant, the OP is enquiring about foresight aperture size.

Buy a plastic 4.0 and 4.2. Start shooting with the 4.2 and once your are happy that all the movement is contained within the foresight then continue with the 4.0. After that you will probably have gained sufficient experience to decide whether or not to step down a further size to 3.8.

Range lighting does have a bearing on the size selected, but 4.2 should be OK for most conditions. Later on you may wish to consider trying High End Glass elements, IMHO they do give a better sight picture.

Rutty
IainD

Post by IainD »

Good advice I'll check and see what I got with the rifle and start with the biggest and work down. This is a new discipline to me so it may take a while to settle in to what is right and what is not, the foresight tunnel is 22mm and if my prone shooting tells me anything that more light is a help to me.

Iain
EJ

Post by EJ »

I use a 4.5 which is slightly larger than most people's. The range is usually between 4.0 and 4.5 with a standard barrel length (850 mm), as already mentioned.
randy1952

Re: FWB 700 Foresight Size

Post by randy1952 »

IainD wrote:Just a quick question, what size of element do you use for 10m shooting ? I am having to buy some new elements and don't want to buy to many that will never be used, so an indication of the range you use would be helpful

Thanks

Iain D
During one of the CMP's coaches conferences the national coach told the coaches to get the kids to shot front sight apertures that are the largest they can stand. He also described coaches teaching kids with no experience to shot with just the globe sight with no inserts and surprisingly they were able to shot well. The studies showed that if you get more light around the target the eye can precisely center the target better in the front sight. The other benefits was the long hold times before the shot was fired were reduced and sight alignment issued were more noticeable.

I was skeptical at first and so I tried it on my kids and myself. We initially tried 5.0 mm and the kids were equally resistant to the change. However, after two weeks the kids were not only scoring more tens, but the tens were deeper. We have eventually moved to 6.0 mm sights. The kids have liked the larger apertures so much that they won't move back to the smaller sights.

The coach from Nevada Reno has liked the larger apertures so much that he has mandated the whole team use the larger apertures. He has credited the larger apertures as part of the reason they made into the NCAA Championship.
EJ

Post by EJ »

randy1952 wrote:The studies showed that...
Studies? Do you have a link to share maybe?
I must have missed something since I haven't seen these and thought I've read them all...
randy1952

Post by randy1952 »

EJ wrote:
randy1952 wrote:The studies showed that...
Studies? Do you have a link to share maybe?
I must have missed something since I haven't seen these and thought I've read them all...
The national coach just mentioned it during the meeting and he didn't give us any specific study. He just mentioned it in the context that a study had been done either by the training center or some independent group.
peashooter

Post by peashooter »

There is an article on this topic by JP O'Connor entitled "Where are you looking?" in USA Shooting News Jan/Feb 2011
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

randy1952,

Where are you getting the larger apertures?

Thx.
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

randy1952 wrote:
IainD wrote:Just a quick question, what size of element do you use for 10m shooting ? I am having to buy some new elements and don't want to buy to many that will never be used, so an indication of the range you use would be helpful

Thanks

Iain D
During one of the CMP's coaches conferences the national coach told the coaches to get the kids to shot front sight apertures that are the largest they can stand. He also described coaches teaching kids with no experience to shot with just the globe sight with no inserts and surprisingly they were able to shot well. The studies showed that if you get more light around the target the eye can precisely center the target better in the front sight. The other benefits was the long hold times before the shot was fired were reduced and sight alignment issued were more noticeable.

I was skeptical at first and so I tried it on my kids and myself. We initially tried 5.0 mm and the kids were equally resistant to the change. However, after two weeks the kids were not only scoring more tens, but the tens were deeper. We have eventually moved to 6.0 mm sights. The kids have liked the larger apertures so much that they won't move back to the smaller sights.

The coach from Nevada Reno has liked the larger apertures so much that he has mandated the whole team use the larger apertures. He has credited the larger apertures as part of the reason they made into the NCAA Championship.
Interesting; I might have to experiment with a larger aperture setting myself! Personally, I use either a 4.3 or a 4.5, depending on the range lighting. I was always taught to use a smaller size for bright ranges, and a larger size for dim ranges.

by the way, do you happen to know what size aperture the Nevada coach made the team use?
randy1952

Post by randy1952 »

Jordan1s wrote:
randy1952 wrote:

Thanks

Iain D

Interesting; I might have to experiment with a larger aperture setting myself! Personally, I use either a 4.3 or a 4.5, depending on the range lighting. I was always taught to use a smaller size for bright ranges, and a larger size for dim ranges.

by the way, do you happen to know what size aperture the Nevada coach made the team use?
He is using 6.0mm for air and I can't remember what he is using for smallbore. I think it maybe 5.2 or 5.8. Oh and he mandated the change only for the new shooters and he left his top shooters alone not wanting to change things in mid stream for them.