SV/HV ammo

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

firefirst

SV/HV ammo

Post by firefirst »

Is there that big a difference between SV and Bulk ammo at 25 yards! I know at 50 yards there is, just want to know because I shoot a lot at 25 and getting a lot better but is the SV a better way to go!!
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

First thought is, what are you shooting? Some target guns are not happy with HV ammo and it beats them up. If you are looking to save money on practice ammo, you can find Eley sport for about $3/box 50.
firefirst

Post by firefirst »

I have a Ruger MKIII just want to know, I shoot hv ammo at 25 yards and shoot in the high 80's low 90;s (bullseye) thanks I am looking for a Victor!! I want a new one but most say buy an older model???
Coastwatcher

Post by Coastwatcher »

I would not shoot HV in a .22 pistol. It is great in a revolver or a rifle but is hard on semi-autos. I love High Standards but they have an issue with frame cracking when using HV ammo.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

What if the gun has stronger springs installed? Wolff gun springs has heavier springs for a number of semi-autos. I was thinking of getting one for my first series S&W M41. I tried the gun on a reactive steel range with SV ammo, and I could see solid hits that were not putting the targets down. I thought that if I used a higher power spring I could safely use HV ammo just to have some fun on that range.

Roger
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Ah yes,
A super sonic(above the speed of sound) bullet versus a sub sonic(below the speed of sound) bullet question...

I will not give you the answer, cause I do not know with all the combinations of barrels and ammo from a particular firearm.

Science was my best subject throughout my school years(seems so long ago).

Google the pressure wave put upon an object while traveling above the speed of sound.
Especially if it goes above and transitions back below the speed of sound.

Barrel length, velocity of bullet and target distance all play a role.

Have fun in your search.
Very educational.
Let me know your conclusions.

Clarence
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Why do you want to beat up your pistol?
If you don't have to.
jackh

Post by jackh »

firefirst wrote:I have a Ruger MKIII just want to know, I shoot hv ammo at 25 yards and shoot in the high 80's low 90;s (bullseye) thanks I am looking for a Victor!! I want a new one but most say buy an older model???
HV is ok for the Ruger. Not ok in HS. SV should be more accurate.
mr alexander

SV/HV AMMO

Post by mr alexander »

firefirst,

I would not purchase a NEW High Standard Victor if I were you.

The current guns are made in Houston, Texas.

The quality and customer service leave a LOT to be desired.

I have talked to a few shooters who made the mistake of buying one.

Nothing but GRIEF!!

The reason people advise buying an older one of these pistols?

The older models were made by the ORIGINAL High Standard Company
which was based in Connecticut.

As I recall, this company had been located in 3 different cities during its
existence.

The guns will be marked with either Hamden, East Hartford and lastly New Haven, CT.

The original company closed its doors in 1984 due to financial difficulties.
(Ruger gave them a lot of severe competition in the .22 pistol market.)

The new High Standard Company is just relying on the name and reputation of the old one!!
Last edited by mr alexander on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Mr Alexander
You are all wrong.
Yes the new guns are made in Texas and CT?
But here is the way it went.
Mitchell arms bought the high standard company in CT.
Moved it to Texas and made horrible guns.
A few years ago the High standard family bought back the company from Mitchell. I have not heard any negatives about the current production of firearms.
It is true the older Hampton guns are good, but the current top of the line guns are being made by the same gunsmith that made them in the 1970's.
He is in his 80's. And on the same equipment. And in CT.
jackh

Post by jackh »

As I understand the history of HS, Gordon Elliott purchased the property and rights in 1984. Mitchell, Stoeger, and Pastuchek(sp?) were making HS clones without license. HS settled in Houston in 1994. Stopped the unlicensed. HS Houston made poor guns at first. But lately the reports are quite good. They have a lot of bad publicity to make up for. I do not have a complete Houston gun. Parts I have do work well. I have several CT HS guns.
mr alexander

SV/HV ammo

Post by mr alexander »

Trooperjake,

As I understand it, the standard production High Standard Pistols are made in Texas.

The top of the line guns are made in Connecticut as you stated.

These pistols are custom built and fitted on an individual basis by Bob Shea.

Bob is the gentleman you had referred to.

He is a former High Standard employee who was with the original firm for
4 decades!

Last I heard he was 89 years old and I do not know if he is still building pistols anymore.

There is a HUGE difference between a Texas gun and one built by Bob Shea as far as quality is concerned.

Accordingly, there is also a HUGE difference in the price of the guns as well.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Mr Alexander
Bob Shea rebuilt my HS last year, replaced a couple of parts and springs.
He only assembles the guns that are made in Texas.
Then they engrave his name on the slide.
I have not heard any negative feedback on the current production of citations and trophy's.
as a bullseye pistol, HS is not that popular any more, but
The old ones are a bargain for a beginner shooter. Average price is $650.00 to $800.00. A lot better than a souped up Ruger.
Bob is not a former employee, as he has been employed by HS since the family took back the company.
Bob Shea comes to Perry every year with the HS people, they share a building on commercial row, and Bob will tweak any problems you might have with an older or current production pistol.